Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

metaside wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:21 pm Thinking about getting this for those nice FM/PM features, not for the snapin stuff. Already have some nice synths (mostly wavetable stuff), but no dedicated FM synth. Any thoughts, warnings or recommendations?
Check the recent FM thread - this post in particular viewtopic.php?p=7423486#p7423486

Ranoka wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:44 pm
metaside wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:21 pm Thinking about getting this for those nice FM/PM features, not for the snapin stuff. Already have some nice synths (mostly wavetable stuff), but no dedicated FM synth. Any thoughts, warnings or recommendations?
Check the recent FM thread - this post in particular viewtopic.php?p=7423486#p7423486
Thank you very much for the link, that's some interesting information for sure!
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

I wouldn't think of this as a dedicated FM synth. It does sound nice, but I get the impression it will be hard to know what is modulating what when you use a few operators. How many operators do you need? Btw, flow motion by Waves sounds great, very intuitive. It's $60 and waves is always having some sale.

jeffb01 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:03 pm
I wouldn't think of this as a dedicated FM synth. It does sound nice, but I get the impression it will be hard to know what is modulating what when you use a few operators. How many operators do you need? Btw, flow motion by Waves sounds great, very intuitive. It's $60 and waves is always having some sale.
Thanks for the idea! I think Flow Motion looks a bit too limited and basic for what I would like to work with. Only 4 analog-style oscillators and only 4 LFOs and so on. I'm looking for something more flexible, more oscillators with flexible routing, more LFOs, and sample and wavetable oscillators with import functions.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:59 pm ^The most inuitive and streamlined workflow I see :v

BTW. you can set up note-following modulation in Serum way easier, even though it's not explicit feature.
In Phase Plant you can drop a (keytracking) "Note" modulator then assign it to whatever.

What is being attempted in the Tweet is a lot more roundabout than is necessary. But Phase Plant lets you make it as complicated as you want it to be.

jeffb01 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:03 pm I wouldn't think of this as a dedicated FM synth. It does sound nice, but I get the impression it will be hard to know what is modulating what when you use a few operators. How many operators do you need? Btw, flow motion by Waves sounds great, very intuitive. It's $60 and waves is always having some sale.
This is my primary FM synth now. It's not hard to keep track if you use the grouping (and renaming) well. The FM sounds very good and is remarkably CPU efficient considering it's all per-voice.

I found Flow to not have enough operators for my needs (c'mon we had 6 in 1983) and the layout kind of condescending. But it's plenty good enough, and the snapshot feature can be really inspiring.

I wish NI would update FM8 to take advantage of contemporary CPU and give it a nice per-voice analogue filter (perhaps from Monark). Personally I love the MSEGs, they're perfect for FM. The grid is so easy to work with.

yellowmix wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:23 pm
jeffb01 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:03 pm I wouldn't think of this as a dedicated FM synth. It does sound nice, but I get the impression it will be hard to know what is modulating what when you use a few operators. How many operators do you need? Btw, flow motion by Waves sounds great, very intuitive. It's $60 and waves is always having some sale.
This is my primary FM synth now. It's not hard to keep track if you use the grouping (and renaming) well. The FM sounds very good and is remarkably CPU efficient considering it's all per-voice.

I found Flow to not have enough operators for my needs (c'mon we had 6 in 1983) and the layout kind of condescending. But it's plenty good enough, and the snapshot feature can be really inspiring.

I wish NI would update FM8 to take advantage of contemporary CPU and give it a nice per-voice analogue filter (perhaps from Monark). Personally I love the MSEGs, they're perfect for FM. The grid is so easy to work with.
That's good to know. I think I'll pick up Phase Plant the next time they have a sale (if I have the $$$). Another FM synth with resonant filters on each operator is Arturia DX7.

Craziest thing ever! :clap:
I do want msegs tho.

:party:
ImageImageImageImage

Their editing behavior is a little different from other synths, but custom one-shot LFOs are basically MSEGs
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

highkoo wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:30 am Craziest thing ever! :clap:
I do want msegs tho.

:party:
They did an AMA on FB and MSEGs were on the upper end of the to-do. They're focusing on bug fixes right now, but are planning to release some bigger updates in the autumn.
Always Read the Manual!

Oh that is great!
Thanks!
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:24 pm Oh that is great!
Thanks!
No worries, here's the full comment:

Right now we are in bug fixing mode :). No matter how much you test something it immediately breaks in a thousand novel ways once you release it into the wild. We want our plugins to be dependable and bug free. Once Phase Plant is in a good place when it comes to bugs we will move on to adding features. We have a few areas we want to improve, but we haven't fully decided on the order to implement them yet. So, in no particular order:

Improved browsers. We would like to add a tagging system to the preset browser, and add other features like free text search. We would also improve the wavetable and sample browsers with some of these features.

Warp modes for the WT oscillator.

An analog filter and a phase modulator effect for the generator stack.

Key ranges for modules and groups in the generator stack.

Improved modulator section, with a better LFO editor and more modulator modules like MSEG, step sequencer, etc.

Revisiting Snap Heap and Multipass and replacing their fixed LFOs and ENVs with the modulator lane from Phase Plant.

More snapins! (people have been asking for a multiband compressor, for instance)

All of this is very much subject to change, but now you know what we are thinking about at the moment at least.
Always Read the Manual!

Nice, that sounds promising. Warp modes and more filter options are my biggest feature requests.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

PieBerger wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:45 pm
highkoo wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:24 pm Oh that is great!
Thanks!
No worries, here's the full comment:

Right now we are in bug fixing mode :). No matter how much you test something it immediately breaks in a thousand novel ways once you release it into the wild. We want our plugins to be dependable and bug free. Once Phase Plant is in a good place when it comes to bugs we will move on to adding features. We have a few areas we want to improve, but we haven't fully decided on the order to implement them yet. So, in no particular order:

Improved browsers. We would like to add a tagging system to the preset browser, and add other features like free text search. We would also improve the wavetable and sample browsers with some of these features.

Warp modes for the WT oscillator.

An analog filter and a phase modulator effect for the generator stack.

Key ranges for modules and groups in the generator stack.

Improved modulator section, with a better LFO editor and more modulator modules like MSEG, step sequencer, etc.

Revisiting Snap Heap and Multipass and replacing their fixed LFOs and ENVs with the modulator lane from Phase Plant.

More snapins! (people have been asking for a multiband compressor, for instance)

All of this is very much subject to change, but now you know what we are thinking about at the moment at least.
That is all on my list! Excited!! :love: :love:

I finally got around to checking out Phase Plant. I really like it so far, but is there any way to load multi-samples or is it just one sample per sample generator? I know I could load a bunch of Sample modules and have a different sample on each, but just wondered if there is another way using just one Sampler generator.

Also, about the Seed function for the Noise generator: I couldn't really hear a difference when using Stable or Random. Is there some other setting which makes the difference between them more obvious? The manual doesn't mention the Seed settings.

Return to “Instruments”