Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So what’s the verdict, game changer or hype?
I’m away and looking forward to trying it soon.
Is there a price yet?

Anyone willing to share the preset folder? Trying the demo right now but just as all the other PA plugins, presets never install.

As for LION, any plans to add a separate keyscaler/notescaler module?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No Simmo there's no price. They hate us.

Nevermind, Sorted
Last edited by krankyone on Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

There is literally a preset called "Rectum_Sax"

simmo75 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:18 am So what’s the verdict, game changer or hype?
Is there a price yet?
Imo it's way too soon to get a true verdict. I spent a few hours this evening just going through the oscillator and mixer modes and I can tell it's going to take a long time to digest. This is very deep. A few things I noticed:
-- The mixer modes are like nothing I've seen before in a synth. The exotic ones are really wild, allowing you to brutally wreck the oscillators.
-- We're drowning in synths that excel at tonal sounds, so I went through the parameters with an eye towards how easily I could dial in interesting non-tonal noises. I'm very happy to report that if this is the sort of thing you're into (& I'm very into it), there are A LOT of sweet spots. On a first run-through, the FM and experimental modes are especially cool.
-- The ability to set unison spread separately for every oscillator parameter is very nice.
-- I didn't pay much attention to presets because imo they aren't a good way to dig into a new instrument. I will say, though, that on a cursory scroll-thru they do Lion a disservice by making it seem like a CPU hog. This appears to be due to heavy use of the Byome effects, which are not at all necessary to make things sound good. With no Byome effects this has reasonable CPU load as far as I can tell.
-- There are lots of non-standard tunings. Nice!

Thanks for the detailed reply Smapti, much appreciated:)

graspee wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:48 pm This is the first synth in a while that can really tank my cpu.
indeed. It can be VERY taxing. Even without oversampling

thelizard wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 pm Not sure how that...
What’s the recommended channel for LION bug reports? Is it here? Do you get the information that gets sent to PA tech support?

I looked on the UA web site, but it seems that even if I have trouble with your Reaktor blocks, I’m sent to the PA report form.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

cturner wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 am
thelizard wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 pm Not sure how that...
What’s the recommended channel for LION bug reports? Is it here? Do you get the information that gets sent to PA tech support?

I looked on the UA web site, but it seems that even if I have trouble with your Reaktor blocks, I’m sent to the PA report form.
yes that is good question. one i wanted to ask for a long time, as long as own UA stuff, also euroreakt (no questions, or problems there, by the way).

when for instance the gui of byome is open, it taxes my cpu quite heavy, doesn't interfere with audio performance though.

beside that, to the point; a bug report form, or e-mail?

For anything not VST/VST3/AU/AAX, use contact [at] unfilteredaudio (dot com)

Otherwise, PA keeps a log of tickets, open bugs, progress, priority, etc. on a web app for us.

Smapti wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:59 am
simmo75 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:18 am So what’s the verdict, game changer or hype?
Is there a price yet?
Imo it's way too soon to get a true verdict. I spent a few hours this evening just going through the oscillator and mixer modes and I can tell it's going to take a long time to digest. This is very deep. A few things I noticed:
-- The mixer modes are like nothing I've seen before in a synth. The exotic ones are really wild, allowing you to brutally wreck the oscillators.
-- We're drowning in synths that excel at tonal sounds, so I went through the parameters with an eye towards how easily I could dial in interesting non-tonal noises. I'm very happy to report that if this is the sort of thing you're into (& I'm very into it), there are A LOT of sweet spots. On a first run-through, the FM and experimental modes are especially cool.
-- The ability to set unison spread separately for every oscillator parameter is very nice.
-- I didn't pay much attention to presets because imo they aren't a good way to dig into a new instrument. I will say, though, that on a cursory scroll-thru they do Lion a disservice by making it seem like a CPU hog. This appears to be due to heavy use of the Byome effects, which are not at all necessary to make things sound good. With no Byome effects this has reasonable CPU load as far as I can tell.
-- There are lots of non-standard tunings. Nice!
Thanks!

Yeah, the two biggest CPU hogs are Unison and complex BYOME chains. The artist presets (especially Audilepsy's!) make heavy use of both. For the default factory library, we tried to create a collection that didn't light the CPU up. Unison is expensive simply because of the per-control business. If we only had pitch unison, there are a lot of optimization tricks that we could pull off. However, with this design, we essentially have to calculate another voice. So, 8 voices with 8x unison is essentially 64 voices with per-voice modulation...

The mixer is definitely the keystone of the entire synth. I've made a lot of great patches by designing for one mode and then selecting another.

The non-standard tuning organization credit goes to Madrona Labs. Aalto and Kaivo are two of our very favorite synths.

What i really miss;

1; the ability to retrigger the master ADSR by an incoming signal (just like the ADSR mods)
2; the ability to read off the parameter values of the mod sliders. setting exact values isn't possible, which is so frustrating (also in Byome and Triad)

I think I deleted the comment I mentioned this in but it would be nice to have a global sample rate control. Also would be nice if it was triad bolted on to the synth rather than byome but of course the cpu use would jump up A LOT.

thelizard wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 pm

The output has a clipper that comes after the gain knob. If you're running into the clipper, try turning that knob down to avoid it.

please add a button to DISABLE that output clipper. i mean, we CAN already disable the Filter Drive.
this way (when output clipper is ON) you can drive it into the output clipper with the gain knob.

sometimes i want to start & stay clean. right now i can't do that instantly. even with gain set to -25 dB and the Mixer Osc level set to 50% i can still hear that output clipper working on a Simple Sine Osc.

i reported this to PA Support also.

i noticed the LP12 filter zipper noises also.

but so far (besides what i mentioned above) it sounds lovely and sounds like ITSELF, not some been-there-done-that plugin! hard to describe really....

another great one guys!
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”