FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE til JUNE 30

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSoundFactory MSoundFactory Sound Library

focusrite wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am
2: The sheer amount of macros and macro morphing capabilities - see above
Is it possible to set macro positions as steps in a sequencer, so you can 'snap' between different states (with controllable morph time - instant, 50ms etc) like that new Waves synth?

Cinebient wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:01 am Really a lot things for €99 but the GUI is a bit in my way (remember, just my personal opinion).
Sound wise i still search for something to impress me here. Not sure yet what to think and how much time is left to demo. It overlaps a lot with my other tools without a really outstanding thing so far.
But this is just a first impression and i think it still is a bargain if you like to work in this environment and i guess it will get more on top over time.
But yes, at least on my macbook, the GUI is no joy to work with for longer time and the general sound is indeed a bit harsh and digital to me.
Opinion can change of course.
Not sure if i missed it but is there an option for microtuning?
No idea about the microtuning (yet), however..

1: The FX section kicks all other synths into the long grass bar none.
3: The routing capabilities - see above

Those are the main reasons to part with 80Eur at this stage
I could agree with 2 and 3 maybe but not so sure about 1 yet. Indeed a lot and great FX but not as unique and good as in some others (again my opinion for my needs).
As with Falcon, Reaktor and some other super environments it is not always about quantity. That does not mean there is no quality...there is...just not impressed enough yet. But that can change fast if i explore it more in depth over the weekend and find something special for me. At the same time it might be already getting too complex to find the right things for me and i´m a bit scared it will be another thing (like Reaktor and Falcon) which are awesome in theory but i never really use it since i still prefer to build multi-set-ups from several synths and FX and pick the best out of them. So every DAW is a kind of modular set-up.
And of course there is the audio-rate stuff which isn´t really great so far here compared to other tools.
But i will investigate further and give it a chance.
I think it would be instant buy if i hadn´t already so much synths and FX :)
Also the GUI is something it doesn´t fit well for me compared to some more innovative tools in this area.

As an owner of HALion 6 and Falcon, as much as I have a problem with MSF's GUI, MSF has a character to its sound that neither HALion 6 nor Falcon have. You will never get either one of those synths to sound like MSF no matter what you do. I'm not saying the sound is better or worse. Just different enough that adding it to one's arsenal, even if owning the other 2 synths, makes sense.

Naturally, this is just my opinion.

I am technically speaking <insert Ihavenoideawhatimdoing dog at keyboard gif here> With that in mind, MSF has made the cut so far in every instance but 1 that I've tried it out on in projects. I click on things, drag sliders, scroll wheel knobs and listen to what happens, and what happens is I seem to get better results faster compared to MPS.

For 34$ U.S. not getting it was not a realistic option. Sound quality & character wise so far imo it's better and more diverse than MPS, though maybe that's expectation bias or whatever you call it to some degree.

Not too much of substance far as particulars go I realize, but generally speaking call it a two thumbs up review. I'll probably spend a couple sessions preset hunting and storing for future considerations tbph as I do go down the tweak hole at times with it, not real immediate in terms of feeling instrument-like in that sense. Utilizes pop-ups quite a bit, though they are fairly straightforward thus far (also thanks to all for the screenshot diagrams in this thread, those may be helpful to refer back to at some point).

I could agree with 2 and 3 maybe but not so sure about 1 yet. Indeed a lot and great FX but not as unique and good as in some others (again my opinion for my needs).
As with Falcon, Reaktor and some other super environments it is not always about quantity. That does not mean there is no quality...there is...just not impressed enough yet. But that can change fast if i explore it more in depth over the weekend and find something special for me. At the same time it might be already getting too complex to find the right things for me and i´m a bit scared it will be another thing (like Reaktor and Falcon) which are awesome in theory but i never really use it since i still prefer to build multi-set-ups from several synths and FX and pick the best out of them. So every DAW is a kind of modular set-up.
And of course there is the audio-rate stuff which isn´t really great so far here compared to other tools.
But i will investigate further and give it a chance.
I think it would be instant buy if i hadn´t already so much synths and FX :)
Also the GUI is something it doesn´t fit well for me compared to some more innovative tools in this area.
Let me know which synths have a) Multiband fx b) More unique fx c) Sheer amount of Fx per voice

I have Falcon which comes close but no cigar.
Last edited by focusrite on Sat May 18, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

wilx wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am
Is it possible to set macro positions as steps in a sequencer, so you can 'snap' between different states (with controllable morph time - instant, 50ms etc) like that new Waves synth?
Probably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5nc9oCVDdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMzwvWm0xEQ

Somewhere in this thread it was discussed turning an LFO into a sequencer. How exactly is this done? My stupid brain can't seem to figure this out on my own.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 am Somewhere in this thread it was discussed turning an LFO into a sequencer. How exactly is this done? My stupid brain can't seem to figure this out on my own.
Edit tab next to the lfo shape parameter

sfd wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:27 am To anyone who already have, what MSF is supposed to be, a workstation like HAlion or Falcon I'm curious to hear what the motivations for getting MSF is. PLug.in collection maybe ?
For me it's the granularity of control and modulation that melda offers along with the shear breadth of modules that are on hand to build stuff out. There are so many parameters to dig down to in msf that to me it feels more like a higher-level reaktor/msp alternative rather than competing with something like falcon or zebra2 (don't have halion so can't comment on that).

I have mxxx (core+creative+some individual) and I use that all the time to build ideas out in short order. MSF extends that with more generation tools - but obviously as an instrument+fx rather than being able to do just fx for other sound sources.

A simple example - I love the sound of the new udo super 6, and the binaural thing seemed like an interesting avenue to explore, so I fired up MSF and built out a synth with binaural routings. It's being able to quickly do stuff like that which makes it appeal to me.

mpowersynth didn't quite hit the spot for me as I found the oscillators and filter a bit too clean/digital, but msf gets past this as I can introduce additional elements between those components which let me get to the sort of sound I'm after. I still have reasonable hopes of getting some kind of filter module with more flavors down the line.

Which lead into melda free updates for life. Given how impressive this already is and knowing how melda have operated in the past, it's exciting for where this will go.

sfd wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:27 am Since the topic, actually, is that MSF is on sale. Here some thougght about this sale.

Back in the Hi-Fi days there was those all-in-one stereo boxes. Double cassette decks, EQ, radio, record player etc. All in one plastic box. Fairly cheap. Despite the amount of features one couldn't compare those Pioneer boxes with, say, anything from Rotel.

Simply said. I'm not very impressed by MSF. And as a, supposed to be, competitior to HAlion, that I own, and Falcon I can't see that MSF is taking a lead.

To anyone who already have, what MSF is supposed to be, a workstation like HAlion or Falcon I'm curious to hear what the motivations for getting MSF is. PLug.in collection maybe ?

Personally I view MSF for what it is. And to me it's a cheaper, both in price and quality, alternative for anyone who can't afford, say, HAlion. But I don't think one should expect, or even compare, it to be anything like HAlion.

It's a beta. As several others I also think the GUI is incredible poor. And if the developer don't take some care about such an essential thing I would, personally, be a bit careful of what I can expect from the developer.

I also think one should not be, to easily, overwhelmed by the amount of features. A rainbow of colors doesn't automatically mean a better painting.

Summary:

100 bucks for an all-in-one beta with an unknown future isnä't exactly bad. But as an owner of HAlion 6 I would save my money. In my view - my personal opinion - MSF is a bit of a gimmick. But even a gimmick can grow up.
Can't comment on Halion,

But with a falcon comparison: The Fm , Additive and Physical Modelling modes. The Multiband fx. The preset browser in Falcon is :dog:
Last edited by focusrite on Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

focusrite wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 am Somewhere in this thread it was discussed turning an LFO into a sequencer. How exactly is this done? My stupid brain can't seem to figure this out on my own.
There is no edit tab next to the lfo shape parameter.

Anyway, I pulled up the patch bass line in sequences. I went through every inch of that patch and can't find anything that controls the pitch attached to either oscillator.

There are days I really hate this thing.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:30 am
I promise you there is, I'm looking at it right now. Click a modulator > click normal at the top > edit with steps button us under the step knob. Remember to turn the step knob after so that it morphs to the steps you've set.
Last edited by OneOfManyPauls on Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anyway, I pulled up the patch bass line in sequences. I went through every inch of that patch and can't find anything that controls the pitch attached to either oscillator.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

focusrite wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 am

Okay, those edit tabs are NOT next to the shape parameter. They are UNDER the custom and step parameters. When you give instructions to me they have to be exact.

Now, back to the bass line patch and, for that matter, ALL the patches in sequences. I can find nothing that is changing the pitches of these sequences.

This is so damn frustrating.

Toolbar (rightmost section of MSF) > arp.
Last edited by OneOfManyPauls on Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”