FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE til JUNE 30

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSoundFactory MSoundFactory Sound Library

exponent1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:03 pm Then don't buy it. Don't use it </EndOfDiscussion> :hihi:
If I didn't think there was any potential for further improvement I wouldn't bother typing any of this stuff. Things I don't care of I never write anything about, neither praise nor critique. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

ah, but just think where wed be if everyone just agreed :)

north korea :scared:

bmanic wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 pm.. and for that Factory to be successful and ultimately useful for the layman, it needs sound designers, preferably seasoned professional sound designers. This in turn means they need good return on investment which means time. Bad UI design is one of the biggest time killers in the world.

See the problem?
You have good arguments from your experience as sound designer. I do not design sounds, so ... I would be drawn to make a parallel into another domain, one that I know, and how some people can adapt despite inconsistencies, which would not be a fair argument. Of course you are right concerning the UI and how experienced sound designers can be drawn to it. I think you mentioned that you do not like Zebra2's UI but then, look at all the sound sets available for it - a very large amount, with many being of high quality, and many very creative for the musician who is basically using presets. So it's relative. From "history" we can see that MPS did not attract many sound designers and that's a fact. Then again, many synths out there do not attract (many) sound designers and are great nevertheless for the musician. It's easy to list a good number of those synths.

bmanic wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Your question is weird.

….

You can run Linux completely text based and do all your photo editing that way too if you so like and it can be extremely powerful.. but there are real reasons why nobody does that.
Well, OK, it's weird. and no doubt all you say is true, from your perspective.

But to me (to ME), it's neither useful or really very interesting.

It doesn't help me to better understand or use this tool that's right here in my face being useful in its own way already. I'm not interested in fixing it, or Melda, just in what I've discovered MSF and Melda can already do for me, right now, so long as I just dig in, as with any other software tool for doing stuff I want to do, and can afford, requires digging in.

All your's and everybody else's carefully argued, probably very accurate, critiques are… for what purpose exactly?

Everybody's already acknowledged that Vojtech's not looking for that sort of advice and nobody really expects him to start doing things differently…Except, that with MSF, he at least seems to be trying, without ceasing to be himself. (Thanks for that.)

And using MSF's not comparable to purposefully choosing obscure difficult tools to do exactly what can already be done with newer, better ones. For me anyway, it's finally letting ME do new things, things I've long wanted to but not til now been able to do, quite as well.

And I enjoy pointing out what I like about that, and it:)

I guess you enjoy pointing out what you don't. OK!
I'll skip yours and you can skip mine:)

(I'll still scan for tasty scraps, of course, nose to the ground as usual… Thanks for those!)
Last edited by David on Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vurt wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 pm ah, but just think where wed be if everyone just agreed :)
OK, let's cool off a bit :) Snowmen, rockets and chicks... and nothing less than the Earth exploding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADN0H6MREHA

mevla wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:15 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 pm ah, but just think where wed be if everyone just agreed :)
OK, let's cool off a bit :) Snowmen, rockets and chicks... and nothing less than the Earth exploding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADN0H6MREHA
That ruins everything.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 pm That ruins everything.
Good :D

bmanic wrote: User interface is one of the core reasons some software become more popular than others, even when less capable. A good interface can be a game changer.

Reaper is a great example (though I'm one of the weird ones that likes it's UI and functionality). It's never going to be mainstream until it's cleaned up and made to be intuitive and easy to use from the get-go. Yet it is by far the most capable DAW out there, by quite a margin.
So, see: We actually agree!

Yes, of course UI matters and changes the game. But we were in the game before it changed, too, using whatever we had, not waiting for FabFilter to arrive. And when FabFilter redesigns MSF, without wrecking it, and if I can afford it!, I'll play in the New Game, for sure!

And at the same time—Yes: The Reapers for doing whatever I want to do WILL pretty much always get MY $$ and love, too.

(I haven't yet felt that it's the DAW that will be the most fun for me to be geeky about, compared to all the sound toys, which is why I've so far resisted… Saving up for Bitwig 3 atm. But eyeing Mulab for the stretching…and just to be…weird.)
Last edited by David on Sun May 12, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You guys should understand that versatility and complexity comes with a learning curve and work around. By the way, if it is true that some of you think that there is room for improvement and make better workflow, Melda's forum is there, I hope all of your suggestions are being presented (if it is true that some of you want to see more advanced improvement with the UI and workflow).

I for instance, prefer to present my case in the forum if some feature would be nice or I would like to see; I never could imagine myself saying the products I support or I put my investment in is a disaster or a complete useless potential pain in the *** machine, or that the developer is just blind and doesn't listen the request (he clearly does, but he can't do everything we want, come on), there is a demo in first place for testing.

As already has been stated this modular super synth is not for everyone, if some of you want some piece of cake immediate sort of synth, use the easy screen, look elsewhere or wait for the only devices presets version of MSF to limit yourself enough. People are giving away so much possibilities and verstaility just to complain without constructive end.

Gonna give this a miss, as some of the plugs I own I never use due to finding them waaay too difficult, or dealing with obscured/missing core functionality in a fog of lavish attention to the wrong detail (e.g. there IIRC being no way to accurately control grain onset frequency in MMultibandGranular yet a dizzying number of other functions), but the thing is Melda really can and have nailed usability. MMorph is absolutely fantastic in terms of usability. All the controls you could want to tweak on one page, all the stuff you'll set once per sound underneath. It's a plugin where even a first time Melda user can plainly see that it crushes everything similar within minutes of booting it up. Like the dev knows exactly what makes hybrid sounds interesting and gives you the perfect means to sculpt them. It is so, so well executed and perfectly thought out. Complexity and depth in all the right places. Then you load up another Melda plug and oh boy... If everything was that well organised you could probably go 100% Melda and never look back.
Last edited by cron on Sun May 12, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JunSev wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:34 pmAs already has been stated this modular super synth is not for everyone, ...
Is any modular super synth actually for everyone ? As far as designing sounds. Using presets and tweaking a little is a different matter however.

As always, all this is just "…to me."
Right - just "you".

And that's the core issue. Isn't it ?

For example - When people are unhappy with the GUI you end up with what this whole thing is for.."you".

Why is making a better GUI a problem for you? Pride=? Lacking skills? Lazy ? Ignorance ?

You want happy, and thereby more, customers. So why don't you just sit down and do something about it ?

And so, maybe you're right. This is just for..."you".

sfd wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 pm
Right - just "you".

For example - When people are unhappy with the GUI you end up with what this whole thing is for.."you".

Why is making a better GUI a problem for you? Pride=? Lacking skills? Lazy ? Ignorance ?

You want happy, and thereby more, customers. So why don't you just sit down and do something about it ?

Huh?

I think you've confused me with some who works for, or is, Melda.

I don't want happy customers. I'm not selling anything.

I'm not MSF's GUI maker. I'm not wanting this to be for YOU. Take it or leave it.

I'm not Melda…

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 pm
bmanic wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 pm
mevla wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:55 pm As a Factory it will generate products, products which will be designed to expose certain parameters in an easy way, as can be seen is so many other Melda plugins (all the Turbo series for instance in their easy mode).
.. and for that Factory to be successful and ultimately useful for the layman, it needs sound designers, preferably seasoned professional sound designers. This in turn means they need good return on investment which means time. Bad UI design is one of the biggest time killers in the world.

See the problem?
This nails it bmanic. I invested a fair amount of time dealing with MSF, made plenty of suggestions during Alpha/Beta, none of them were acknowledged. The chaos of having numerous pop ups floating on various monitors while making patches was so off-putting that eventually I quit MSF and haven't touched it since. Actually I find it much worse than working in MXXX which I use frequently.
If I had read your post I would likely not have bought MSF.

Look at the developers to name a few at Homegrown, Fathom and BlueArp, how well they interact with the suggestions made by their user base.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sun May 12, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm
sfd wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 pm
Right - just "you".

Huh?

I think you've confused me with some who works for, or is, Melda.

I don't want happy customers. I'm not selling anything.

I'm not MSF's GUI maker. I'm not wanting this to be for YOU. Take it or leave it.

I'm not Melda…
Fine. Then respect the people who find things lacking in the design and who want something a little easier to work with.

It's not a lot to ask.

Return to “Instruments”