FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE til JUNE 30

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSoundFactory MSoundFactory Sound Library

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Once I cool down I might find that there's enough here without the spectral FX. But right now, I'm puzzled at how something like this can't be fixed or that they're not even going to try.
I see, thanks for explaining:)

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:15 pm What they're telling me here is that EVEN if I enter the notes ...
This can't be right. You are told and you do not try by yourself and that's enough ? Can't be right.

vurt wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:42 pm my point was "check the buffer length".
In my DAW? Yeah, did that a long time ago when I first got Cubase and the latency was HORRIBLE. I couldn't use this thing. So I changed the buffer length and since then have had no problems.

Anyway, FWIW, in order to get down to the bottom of this (something I should have done a long time ago) I created a patch and threw both MUnison AND HarmonizerMB into the FX and there's no latency. At least nothing that makes trying to play this unusable.

Now granted I have a kick ass machine that can handle just about anything I throw at it, and maybe that has something to do with it, but I can't detect any latency that makes this thing unusable for playing live.

For those of you having latency issues, I do feel for you. I still think Melda should fix this if it's a problem for most people.

mevla wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:15 pm What they're telling me here is that EVEN if I enter the notes ...
This can't be right. You are told and you do not try by yourself and that's enough ? Can't be right.
Well stupid me for taking what people say at face value. Especially since the dev himself said this is an issue.

mevla wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 pm
It is right. He was referring to an earlier post of mine.
If MSF (which does not report latency to the host, so it can't be compensated) reads midi notes from the piano roll, it's doing it in real time... latency will be there if some modules are loaded.
Easy to test and prove.

The thing people can't explain (myself included) is the technical reason why the plugin is not reporting latency to the host, and if that can change in the future.

Besides that, singnificant latency can be present using some modules, but it isn't much of a problem for me, as I feel like almost all the sound comes from the (awesome) generator modules which don't have problems. And most FX modules can be used anyway without concerning latency.
Last edited by Niowiad on Sat May 11, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Channel left a rim on 4/4, channel right MSF saw with DistortionMB added. Latency reported to the host 0, but audio is clearly off (about 2k samples): https://imgur.com/wKvZ3OZ

Using this in a song creates problems. Going to do some further timing tests as I had differences between OSCs too. Btw many of the MB plugins crash half of the time when being instantiated XD

DocSnyder wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:07 pmBtw many of the MB plugins crash half of the time when being instantiated XD
There might be some problem elsewhere then. I'm using Melda plugins for at least a year in a dire environment with an extra adapter software layer to make the transition between Windows and Linux, and never ever saw a Melda plugin crashing. By the way, I started with Melda plugins at about improvisation number 434 and just did yesterday improvisation number 603. These improvs can be complex, and some are developed further for the soundcloud page. This is to say that I'm actually using the plugins and not talking through my (Red, ah ah) hat.

Sorry, I meant inside MSF of course.

mevla wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:22 pm
DocSnyder wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:07 pmBtw many of the MB plugins crash half of the time when being instantiated XD
There might be some problem elsewhere then. I'm using Melda plugins for at least a year in a dire environment with an extra adapter software layer to make the transition between Windows and Linux, and never ever saw a Melda plugin crashing. By the way, I started with Melda plugins at about improvisation number 434 and just did yesterday improvisation number 603. These improvs can be complex, and some are developed further for the soundcloud page. This is to say that I'm actually using the plugins and not talking through my (Red, ah ah) hat.
Rock solid on my rig too. Win 10 x 64, 8 gigs ram, Intel I7

Well, I just put the finishing touches on my latest track. Pad at the end. I'll be posting it over at the Music Cafe. It's called "Ghosts In The Attic"

Goats In The Attic?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 pm Goats In The Attic?
Ha ha. Funny.

MSF is clearly beta software, which means it will likely have issues that need to be worked out before release. I haven't had any major issues. Well I did have one crash. But you know what? It didn't bother me in the least because it's in beta.

BTW, it sounds AWESOME.

plexuss wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 pm You know, I am going to disagree with you on this. I just spent some time working with MSF. As background, I've tried numerous times to fire up MPS to work with it and fairly quickly get bogged down with the workflow. But, I gave MSF a chance because I could see it was quite different in terms of workflow.

Sure enough... it is! I was able to quickly twist a factory patch to my liking, adding a couple extra sound elements including samples from MDrummer, add modifiers and effects and very quickly get something complex but nice sounding.

This is WAY further than I've been able to get with MPS! And I didn't touch modulation or multiparameters or ... all the other Melda junk. :tu:

. . .
I agree that MPS was less than compelling compared to many other more capable synths at the time. For me, it was important because of its FX section, which was more flexible and powerful than anything we'd seen before. And that FX design led to MXXX, which *was* a compelling product (price notwithstanding). And MXXX naturally led us to MSF. So, MPS was quite important even if it made only a tiny splash at the time of release.

On another issue, I was not implying that only rocket scientists dared plumb the depths of deep sound design in MSF. A neophyte in the ways of Melda can still put together some sophisticated sounds without touching the more advanced features. Likewise, it takes little time to learn the basics of Multiparameters, but they go *so* very deep that few can claim full mastery. A designer who is creating MSF devices for a wide audience and not just himself needs a far more accomplished command of things Melda. But a rookie can still have a blast, create something meaningful and musically useful, and end up feeling very good about the whole thing. Like I said, a degree in rocket science is not a hard and fast requirement. :)

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:38 pm Well then pardon my French but then what the hell good is this thing? If I can't avoid latency with live playing of parts, which means I'd have to piano roll them in, then it's worthless to me as a recording musician.
Assuming it's not a bug, then whatever FX is causing noticeable latency must be avoided in live playing - simple as that IMO. No different than using an insert FX module with noticeable latency after the sound generator module.

But I have a question about this. Some here have criticized MSF for not reporting latency to the host. My question is: is that even required for a synth in the first place? An FX module with latency that is inserted in a DAW track needs to do this so all the tracks line up when mixed together. If DAWs didn't handle this, they'd be useless (or at least restricted to use of no-latency insert modules). But synths come before mixer tracks. Are they required to report latency, and is the host responsible for dealing with it? I have no idea.

Return to “Instruments”