Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:46 pm
Poly AT and a ribbon... stuff most hardware has never provided... I still haven’t owned something with this expressiveness potential. Still not happy with the “requires a computer” Roli product,
The Seaboard GRAND can be played without the computer.
Make your sounds on the computer, then transfer them to the Seaboard's on board memory, disconnect the computer and play wherever without the computer.

Then, you can use any Seaboard with hardware, like for example the MPE compatible Deckard's Dream, so in essence you get a sound that is very similar to the CS80, and all the expressiveness (and more) of the real CS80.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I was not aware that the Seaboard Grand had any in-built synth or MIDI connectors to use it to control MIDI hardware (I was under the impression it lacked those things). It’s super expensive, and it is also no longer sold.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I have this meticulously crafted sample-pack of an Ondes-Martenot and I just won't sound like the thing it was sampled from at all - what on earth do I do wrong? (And don't get me started on this shitty virtual Theremin that is barely a joke :mad:)

But yeah, back on topic: I am absolutely certain that this most pompous thread-starter tried the Arturia emu fully equipped with a ribbon controller exactly in the right spot atop his splendid multi-aftertoch master-keyboard. An on top of that he has got this perfecly Vangelisesque touch in all of his fingers whenever he masters these wonderful keys of his - and let's not forget his otherwise perfectly exact MIDI-setup. I'm sure he watched the respective Vangelis documentary over and over again to make it possible.
Otherwise his whining here wouldn't make the slightest sense, would it?
(Okay, granted - in all fairness it actually wouldn't at all be the first time he starts a thread solely in order to nail the plaque of his own uber-importance onto the would-be-glamorous pavement of KVR's almost-glorious history :party:)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:20 pm

But yeah, back on topic:
I'm pretty sure the topic is not slamming the the person who started the thread
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:16 pm

But yeah, back on topic:
So I've been called mentally ill, disrespectful and pompous all for asking a question.

And you wonder why I hate this place.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm

But yeah, back on topic:
So I've been called mentally ill, disrespectful and pompous all for asking a question.

I used to feel that way about Facebook....I stopped using it and whammo! the angst went away, :shrug:

jacqueslacouth wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm

But yeah, back on topic:

I used to feel that way about Facebook....I stopped using it and whammo! the angst went away, :shrug:
Well I refuse to let the jackasses of this forum drive me out of it.

Who you calling a jackass? Seems a bit hypocritical.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Well, to be fair Wags, I am pretty sure you have your answer to the OP question. So if you stop taking the bait, the annoyances will stop too...seriously...try it...

While i agree that the way the question has been asked, and the follow up, with a lack of argumentation and examples why emulations just won't do the job, i nonetheless find it quite boring how people always jump on wagtunes and his threads. Seriously, don't be boring. If you don't like this, it's easy to walk past, and mind your own business.

I can very well understand the demand to have a good emulation, by the way. As far as i'm concerned, there's a lot of bad, or not good enough emus out there, for anything.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:29 pm Who you calling a jackass? Seems a bit hypocritical.
The people who called me mentally ill, disrespectful (for not liking an emulation) and the post above that Hink himself called the guy out on. Nothing hypocritical about it. I did nothing in this thread to deserve the comments I've gotten. I simply asked why we can't have a CS 80 emulation that sounds like a CS 80 and I was called mentally ill.

On what planet is that even REMOTELY called for?

wagtunes wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:38 pm On what planet is that even REMOTELY called for?
Answer: The internet.

I've been using the internet since 1978. Trust me when I tell you, this kind of behavior from people has always been part of the experience of the interner. However now that the masses are on it, it's worse. Your best bet is not to participate unless you are willing to open yourself up to the abhorrence of human behaviour. :dog:

But yeah, back on topic:
No, the topic is basically why do the emulations not sound like the do on Vangelis' records - these are what the OP goes by in order to judge the quality and accuracy of these emulations (besides his faint memory of years (decades?) ago of a lesser synth of the same family.

To which I replied (if you follow care to follow my line of arguing):

a) that a CS-8 sounds they way it does not only because of its sound-production elements themselves but also the way in which they are controlled

b) that this kind of control allows for a expressiveness that basically makes it necessary to be Vangelis in order to sound like Vangelis

c) that Vangelis' setup consists of much more than just a CS-80 and thus that you not only would have to be Vangelis and to have access to the same kind of control (i.e. not only do you need to use a a multi-aftertouch keyboard with a ribbon controller of the same length and sitting in the same place; just as the other realtime-relevant controls of the synth) but also need to otherwise have access to a comparable setup

d) that therefor it is extremely unlikely that said OP comes even close to having the required prerequisites

e) that therefor his in this thread expressed claim that said emulations are far from being authentic/accurate is basically meaningless

f) that the OP is well aware of his own shortcomings (he actually hinted at it himself in this very thread)

g) that the reason this thread exists in the first place must have a reason other than the quality of the emulations in question

h) lastly that to me this reason seems to be a cry for attention; that having witnessed (not usually partaken in) similar threads in the past reading through them is a bit like watching a bad accident - you don't want to but it for some reason can be hard to summon the strength to look away

let me add

i) that OP has a history of portraying himself as the victim; all this after having exposed severe hostility and nastiness towards other members throughout the thread prior to that
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:17 pm i) that OP has a history of portraying himself as the victim; all this after having exposed severe hostility and nastiness towards other members throughout the thread prior to that
Could you post some example of this "severe hostility and nastiness towards other members" in this thread?

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:54 pm
No. Wrong, wrong, wrong.[...]

And to the poster above. No. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Return to “Instruments”