Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:phones:

greg12000 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:14 am
mellotronaut wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 pm here's THE ONE and ONLY:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-CS80-co ... Sw9EZcpnSj
24K Wow! I think it was 23K a few days ago?
Better buy it soon :harp:

:party:
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

:D

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:13 pmjiminy could :P

so could Jimmy

https://youtu.be/ZbW1c-3UOHs

NewWaveRecordings wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:44 pm Hey what do I know, only been making music for over a decade with a few top 5 billboard hits to my credit :) carry on.

country, or western?

Been playing through some of the Arturia presets the last half hour when I found myself asking,
"I wonder if a real CS-80 could sound like this?"

We tend to forget it goes both ways. ;)

swings both ways, he says.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:29 pm Well, you are suffering. From what can always be debated.
:hihi: :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

NewWaveRecordings wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:17 am :phones:
so no hits then?

Never quite got the argument anyway. I make a hit and that automatically makes me more competent than people who don't?

Man, those shitty plugin and hardware developers... they know nothing, and should rather sample real analogs, rather than modelling them. :dog:

Unfortunate for those who need analog modelled filters though. Or who like to tweak a lot.

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:50 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 pm Bands that I followed and am aware of. Of course most of these guys used just about everything.

Alan Parsons
ELO
Paul McCartney & Wings
Kraftwerk

And plenty more. It was one of the monsters of the era. In fact, it was more widely used than the Polymoog.
Some more: http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/cs80.php
It has been used by Vangelis, Chicago, Jethro Tull, Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Bon Jovi, Simple Minds, Paul McCartney, Michael McDonald, Brian Eno, Toto, Eddie Jobson, Doug Johnson (Loverboy), The Crystal Method, Jean Michel Jarre, Geoffrey Downes (Yes, Asia), Rick Wakeman, Stevie Wonder, Phish, Daft Punk, BBC Radiophonic Workshop, and Tony Banks of Genesis.
ok, now im interested :)
Yeah, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop is how I first became aware of, and interested in, the Yamaha CS-80. Peter Howell created the second-best Doctor Who theme with one (and I say second-best, despite it being my favorite, because of deference to Delia Derbyshire’s original arrangement). I also really like his Doctor Who story background scoring as well. My nostalgia for the CS-80 is far more based on Doctor Who than on Vangelis.

Poly AT and a ribbon... stuff most hardware has never provided... I still haven’t owned something with this expressiveness potential. Still not happy with the “requires a computer” Roli product, and still not happy with a flat glass screen to emulate MPE controls (on an iPad... though it’s a great tease).

Without the controllers, any emulation would be lacking, even if it reproduced the sound as well as possible.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:12 pmHowever, there is something that analog has that digital (still) doesn't.
No there isn't, it is purely in your head. A blind test would prove it in a minute flat. I'd be happy to set one up if you're interested. Sounds that utilise both the oscillators and filters to best effect. You can even supply a few sounds for me to copy (roughly) if you like. I've got a good mix of analogue and digital hardware. I could set it up in a couple of nights.
But in some sparser compositions like that example, the difference is clear to me. And I appreciate it.
Listening to part of this album for the first time, I don't hear anything I couldn't do with any number of freeware VSTi. Honestly, it doesn't sound in any way special to me at all. It is very much a product of it's time, I reckon he'd do it much better today with modern synths, digital or analogue.
NewWaveRecordings wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:44 pmHey what do I know, only been making music for over a decade with a few top 5 billboard hits to my credit :) carry on.
I'll see your decade and raise you 2.8 more. As for "billboard hits", I'd be ashamed, not boastful about that.
BBFG# wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:27 amFunny, it was installing and playing the last Syntronik offering that got me to uninstall it and buy Analog Lab. I didn't find Syntronik bad per se , but I didn't find it good either. Arturia is clearly a more usable product for me.
Yeah, I was hugely underwhelmed by Syntronik, especially compared to Analog Lab. You can't hope to emulate something successfully if you don't even have the same controls.
+!

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:12 pmHowever, there is something that analog has that digital (still) doesn't.
No there isn't, it is purely in your head. A blind test would prove it in a minute flat. I'd be happy to set one up if you're interested. Sounds that utilise both the oscillators and filters to best effect. You can even supply a few sounds for me to copy (roughly) if you like. I've got a good mix of analogue and digital hardware. I could set it up in a couple of nights.
For lots of basic sounds, there is no meaningful difference... but when you get into audio-rate modulations, high resonance etc., then yes, there is still an audible difference. Out at the extremes, digital still starts to fall apart, aliases, the really high notes can get squirrelly, have a kind of digital edge that I don't find pleasant. It's not that software developers cannot overcome that, just it takes too much CPU and for most uses it doesn't matter. I happen to like sounds out on the edge.

I don't need your test, I have my own gear and have done my own tests and it is glaringly obvious, not some subtle 'mojo' thing.

AnX wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 pmits only remembered for a couple of sounds from a dull film
Reported.

Return to “Instruments”