39%
Falcon
24%
Omnisphere
37%

Total votes: 98

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know you're looking at those 3 synths, but maybe you should take a look at a couple others such as VPS Avenger and Parawave Rapid. ANA 2 is very nice also.

Or you might want to wait for Synthmaster 3.

I voted for Falcon.

But then again I voted for Jill Stein for President, so what do I know?

Set for life? Never gonna happen. Trust me on that.

Another vote for Avenger or Rapid, these ones are very powerful and should be the only thing you need for a long time.

Avenger was my first synth and while i like it it bugs the hell out of my new macbook + Logic. Like if i open it it sometimes takes years to close or closes the DAW with it together. I dont have this with any other synth and i got plenty.

And if you consider looking at Rapid or Avenger you might as well look at Dune3.

I have all the synths in your list and if I had to choose one it would definitely be falcon. It can cover so many things and do it extremely well.

I know your GAS is probably flaring right now (try not to buy all 3 in one go!) I would suggest you download Surge, which is now free and open, it's very powerful and capable of lots of creative sounds and textures, much like Zebra. If you can resist you could make music with Surge for a while before splashing out on one of the expensive hybrid synths. If you're asking us which synth you should buy you might not be ready to take the plunge!

I voted ZebraHZ, but I would strongly consider Avenger or Rapid if you want a more modern all-in-one synth.
The great thing about Zebra is it's a lot of fun to make sounds in, and it's very low on CPU, so you can spatter loads of instances in a project without really worrying too much (The Diva filters use more CPU though).
Keep in mind that modern synths like Avenger need a high spec machine, each instance uses 900MB of RAM and it can be taxing on CPU so you probably want 32GB+ and a modern CPU in your system if you want to use it as your main synth.

If you want an all-in-one that is also a sampler then Zebra isn't the one though because it is purely synthesis. Falcon and Omnisphere lean more towards sampler, and Avenger and Rapid lean more towards synth. Out of those I chose ZebraHZ and Avenger. These are all things you have to consider for yourself and your needs. I like that Avenger is quick to make sounds in. Rapid has had some very nice updates (resizable UI and crossmod etc), I'm not sure which I would choose if I was buying one today!

Demo the synths you can demo, like Zebra2, Avenger and Rapid - Zebra even lets you save the patches and projects. You're lucky you can try Falcon at your friends place, if you find it fun to make patches in then it seems like the most popular recommendation! (I've heard people compare Falcon to working in a 3D package like Maya - so it's a 'professional' sound design tool.)
I don't own Falcon or Omnisphere because they don't have a demo and I'm less interested in samples and huge factory libraries at the moment. I think Omnisphere and Falcon should make a smaller demo that doesn't have the full library for people to try out.

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am
layzer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:56 am if i get my toddler a bike, he's getting a tricycle, not a Harley Davidson
As if they were mutually exclusive... ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-W17 ... 0554&psc=1
i just might get that for my daily commute! :lol:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

My advice would be to forget about the "one" synth which does it all. That never worked for me. Most synths are even one trick ponies, even if they supposedly can do a lot. Very few soft synths with a big sweet spot.

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 amHALion 6
+1

I don't know about the rest of them, but Halion 6 does most everything I want.

"When you find the one synth, every other one don't mean sheeit...."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1uOqRb0HU
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I’ve got all three... I’d probably suggest Omnisphere for the main reason that I think that once you learn its interface, it’s very easy to work with, and by learning, I mean getting used to the right-click-assign paradigm that it uses. I think a lot of people miss that and just think you have to constantly be clicking into the modulation tabs, but you don’t. It’s very intuitive. Zebra and Zebra HZ... not so much, though some of the newer skins help. Falcon, definitely no. I’ve been using synths since the early 80s and Falcon took some time to get used to and a lot of time going though the manual and tutorials. That said, it’s amazing. I mean, they’re all amazing for different reasons.

I’ll go out on a limb here, but I’m going to suggest that maybe an all-in-one übersynth isn’t the best place to start. I mean, sure, if you’re just going to use presets, fine. Omnisphere has the most presets and they’re very good and varied. Since you have Logic, I’d research to where you think it’s lacking and fill that hole with something specific. I don’t know Logic, but I do know Alchemy (I’ve got it, the old Windows version) and it’s a great synth... thin? Well, it’s not a virtual analog, that’s for sure. Maybe what you’re lacking is just something like RePro, Diva or Oddity 2. A good beefy analog emulation.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

wagtunes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:27 amBut then again I voted for Jill Stein for President, so what do I know?
I knew there was a reason I hated you.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:44 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:27 amBut then again I voted for Jill Stein for President, so what do I know?
I knew there was a reason I hated you.
Well, I hate you too so that makes us even. Now can we go back to ignoring each other?

Quick memo, in a two party race, don't vote for a third candidate that takes away from the best of a bad bunch.

Return to “Instruments”