One Synth Challenge #122: Surge (schiing wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye :clown:
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

:lol: Now that is classic.

Guenon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:55 pm
TheNeverScene wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:08 pm I've got a wip that I'm having some fun with blasting back to 1992 :) Surge is rather astonishing.
Yes it is :), and that's a terribly cool wip!

Alas, I'm not in such luck. After what I uploaded last month, I temporal shifted into Berlin 20 years later, and this was all that was going on in the streets

https://soundcloud.com/guenooni/berlin- ... er/s-B9lT2
You scrambled „20 years later“ with „from the 20s in Berlin“ obviously. You haven‘t been born back then - or have you?

And I didn‘t get the joke with Rypdal, but it was a good reminder to listen to that again for inspiration as well as Mangione - old times heros...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:22 am And I didn‘t get the joke with Rypdal, but it was a good reminder to listen to that again for inspiration as well as Mangione - old times heros...
Haha, I don't mean to sound conceited or anything, but I think he was probably just referring to my real name! :lol:

Also, I've been kicking myself all day that I didn't raise Guenon's "High Bar" by a riff on his Tab in the Spacebar. Oh, well, I'll get back to it upon his Return! He won't Escape!

(I spend too much time with my QWERTY!)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

TheNeverScene wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:30 pm I think Guenon's street rave spilled over into my middle school orchestra concert.
HAH! :D

Should probably archive these snippets somewhere, lol.

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:22 am You scrambled „20 years later“ with „from the 20s in Berlin“ obviously. You haven‘t been born back then - or have you?
Haha, to be sure, just "20 years later" from the "Berlin 1974" skit I submitted last month :D

I think I, too, need to drop the explicit years from track names for a while :P

Velocity is mappable to EVERYTHING? Mind blown.

edit: delete

I've been playing around with this synth a bit yesterday. I really like it so far!
Thinking about joining this challenge as well if I can find enough time for it :)

It seems to crash my DAW (Zynewave Podium Free 3.2.1) sometimes:
When I exit the DAW, it sometimes randomly crashes when there are any instances of Surge in the project.
When I delete the last instance of Surge in the project, it crashes every single time (more than 5/5 times so far).

Obviously, these issues are not holding me back in any way so it's no big deal for this challenge :D

Has anyone had any luck at any Karplus-Strong design? It seems resonance doesn't go high enough to get rid of the noise. Running both comb filters and feeding them back into each other somewhat helps, but key tracking the filters goes out of tune across the octaves.

Edit: it took a while to figure out, but it actually works well, me thinky.
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheNeverScene wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:21 pm Has anyone had any luck at any Karplus-Strong design? It seems resonance doesn't go high enough to get rid of the noise. Running both comb filters and feeding them back into each other somewhat helps, but key tracking the filters goes out of tune across the octaves.
As we found out in another KVR forum the other day, the Clarinet patch is a good example of using physical modeling and tuning using the filter network. The trick is to set the comb filter to "2" and so on. Taking apart that patch may help.

tomx2188 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 am It seems to crash my DAW (Zynewave Podium Free 3.2.1) sometimes:
When I exit the DAW, it sometimes randomly crashes when there are any instances of Surge in the project.
When I delete the last instance of Surge in the project, it crashes every single time (more than 5/5 times so far).
If you get a crash, adding it as an issue on our GitHub and including information like the version of surge (including bittiness and plugin flavor) and the version of the OS you you run can really help us at least remember it is there. (That's not the same as being able to fix it quickly or ever alas; there's lots of hosts which act in lots of different ways).

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues

Glad you are enjoying the synth!

thanks baconpaul, I'll have a look at that

physical modelling with surge is described in pg34 of manual.

] de:leted [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”