Modern FM8?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

Ranoka wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:42 am Toxic 4 itself was from 2008. There doesn't seem to be a lot of new FM synths, most of the ones I can think of that focus on FM are around 10+ years old. Flow Motion is the only recent one I can think of.
No, Flow Motion is not the only recent one. Arturia DX7 V is just a little older than Flow Motion and is better, IMO (actually, one of the best FM synths currently available).
Fernando (FMR)

Ranoka wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:39 am
fmr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:24 am
antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:28 am
HunterKiller wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:12 am Maxx Claster Toxic 2.5 ;)

Trying to find info about this, but seems v3 is by Image Line, which would suggest it evolved into Image?
Indeed. Now it's Toxic Biohazard.
Toxic Biohazard is Toxic IIII, aka 4 apparently.
I prefer the more classic UI design of 2.5 to the more spaceship style 'modern' UI they did for Toxic Biohazard, which has dated a lot faster.
I wonder if there's a way to make it look more like 2.5...
Also, I don't see the Attack Slope and Decay Slope curves on Toxic 4, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? (did they remove them?)
A few functions did not make it into Toxic 3, from T2.
And quite a few functions did not make into T4 from T3 and T2.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

That's a shame. But I guess they streamlined the workflow by removing the lesser used features.

Regarding FM8 - Rellik just submitted this track to the OSC and he did all the sound design with FM8, it's really quite remarkable!
https://soundcloud.com/rellyk/rellik-out-here-again

:help: Not quite 'modern' (in fact the exact opposite!) - does anyone have any legacy installers for either FM8 v1.01 or v1.04 (demo versions if possible)? I can't seem to find these anywhere and desperately want them so I can run FM8 on my V-machine :help:

Something different, but also an FM synth ( loads DX patches ): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=504263

grumpyG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:00 am :help: Not quite 'modern' (in fact the exact opposite!) - does anyone have any legacy installers for either FM8 v1.01 or v1.04 (demo versions if possible)? I can't seem to find these anywhere and desperately want them so I can run FM8 on my V-machine :help:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... downloads/

edit : sorry didn't get the version issue

Think Ive seen OP over in Bitwig forum. Bitwigs FM4 is pretty good. Bitwigs Phase4 is decent too, but thats phase modulation; although Ive read that several big synths that are “FM” are actually “PM” synths.

Butwug wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:21 pm Think Ive seen OP over in Bitwig forum. Bitwigs FM4 is pretty good. Bitwigs Phase4 is decent too, but thats phase modulation; although Ive read that several big synths that are “FM” are actually “PM” synths.
Phase-4 is a top notch synth... but of course you can only use that in Bitwig.

FM is meant to be one of Kilohearts Phase Plant's strengths, which makes me quite interested in it!
MeldaSoundFactory also has an FM generator (I'm hoping to play with that during the OSC).

I got Nemesis, and it's a huge amount of fun to play with!

FM8 is the Modern FM8. I still use it regularly, it's in my top 3 all time favorite software synths. Still the best FM synth on the market, imho. And other than my complaint that the envelope windows could be bigger, I can't think of anything it's lacking.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm
Butwug wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:21 pm Think Ive seen OP over in Bitwig forum. Bitwigs FM4 is pretty good. Bitwigs Phase4 is decent too, but thats phase modulation; although Ive read that several big synths that are “FM” are actually “PM” synths.
Phase-4 is a top notch synth... but of course you can only use that in Bitwig.
Yeah it’s pretty straightforward to understand as well. Truth be told half the stuff Ive made on it is by sheer luck of parameter moving. Last time I sat down and really tackled it from a sound design perspective and made a super smooth bass sound. The oscillators can be used as sound generator and/or modulator which let me picture the sound easier.

Tried various FM synths and didnt click with any (didnt try Bitwigs FM/Phase4 lol :dog: ) Not too long ago I realized I needed to tackle that scary looking synth. Was actually straightforward and a great synth. “Decent” was an understatement

mholloway wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:03 pm FM8 is the Modern FM8. I still use it regularly, it's in my top 3 all time favorite software synths. Still the best FM synth on the market, imho. And other than my complaint that the envelope windows could be bigger, I can't think of anything it's lacking.
+1

FM8 is, in my books, still the best overall FM synth on the market. Sytrus is actually more powerful, but only marginally so... and IMO, perhaps not so much more powerful to justify adding to one's synth arsenal if they already have FM8. Especially when FM8 is also the easiest and fastest to program, by far (but if you're willing to deal with the Sytrus GUI and know you'll take advantage of the specific aspects where it goes beyond FM8, it's a great synth). The logic and signal flow of an FM8 patch is understood at a glance, so both programming new patches and analyzing and deconstructing presets is quite fast. I don't think the interface of any other FM synth compares favorably to FM8. Its GUI may not be pretty, but it is more functional than any other IMO. I'll give DX7 V style points though -- and if you are satisfied with fixed algorithms rather than a matrix, it's also a very nice FM synth. And if someone wants great FM/PM but off the beaten path/different paradigm, Bazille is also a cool synth.

I'm demoing Phase Plant right now, because I read how many operators it could run. Sadly, I am not a fan of this for FM programming (or actually in general). It may have a lot of operators, but I guarantee almost no one will ever attempt to utilize but a small number due to how unwieldy it would be, both in terms of understanding signal flow and handling the modulation. If you want to FM with samples in relatively uncomplicated patches, then sure it's probably fine for that. But there's no way I could conceivably replace FM8 or Sytrus with Phase Plant, no chance.
Last edited by KBSoundSmith on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dexed and OPX. I whish the gui on OPX was bigger.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I've used FM8 in the past and now pretty much using Rob Papen's Blue 2 for my FM needs.

Blue 2 is a fantastic synth. I do miss being able to load in DX7 patches but I'd rather spend my time making patches than mindlessly browse through other people's patches.

don_sook wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:33 am I've used FM8 in the past and now pretty much using Rob Papen's Blue 2 for my FM needs.

Blue 2 is a fantastic synth. I do miss being able to load in DX7 patches but I'd rather spend my time making patches than mindlessly browse through other people's patches.
I’d say that these were my two favorites as well. I’m sort of having an FM epiphany these days as I stupidly ignored it for years, thinking it was “too mathy to enjoy.” :dog:

Other ones I’m really digging are...

DX7 V. I love the UI on that one, I just wished the filter was per voice.

Toxic Biohazard. There’s a smooth warmth to it that I just like, though the UI is a bit fiddly.

Octopus. An oldie, but a goodie. That UI takes some getting used to as well.

Spiral Generator. Not really well known, but fun and a very cool display style.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”