Modern FM8?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

nilhartman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:10 pmAnd it seems that FM8 is still relevant in 2019. It looks like abandonware, I suppose that’s why I’m hesitating here.

Hive can produce ridiculously good FM with its new wavetables but I’m afraid I’d miss the real-time control. And I believe we’ll have to wait a bit before Zebra 3 is available... yup, I love u-he synths.

More expensive but am also seriously considering getting a Digitone.
FM8 is not abandoned. It is supported, just not actively developed. The morphing is sweet!

No need to wait for Zebra 3... Zebra 2 does beautiful FM stuff. And yeah, the pure clarity of Hive's FM wavetables is startling. But yeah, not much realtime control.

If you are trying to save CPU, something like the Digitone is a good plan. And if you get along with the Elektron way, hella fun!

Maxx Claster Toxic 2.5 ;)

"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

FM8 is still my preferred FM synth. Maybe because I'm so used to Yamaha FM approach and comfortable with it. Possibilities are endless.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

HunterKiller wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:12 am Maxx Claster Toxic 2.5 ;)

Trying to find info about this, but seems v3 is by Image Line, which would suggest it evolved into Toxic Biohazard?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

This is my go to 'Modern' FM Synth - Aparillo Seems like a typical crazy ass Suger Bytes machine, but its actually pretty easy to program and everyone should at least demo it to see what initial pre-set of a synths should always sound like :-)

https://sugar-bytes.de/aparillo

Flow Motion is also great value at under 50 bucks and is defiantly a modern take on FM!

https://www.waves.com/plugins/flow-moti ... gJxnvD_BwE

I also use FM Hardware - The Elektron Digitone- super fun, designed to dial up good sounding FM fast (and of course a great sequencer)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:48 pm
nilhartman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:10 pmAnd it seems that FM8 is still relevant in 2019. It looks like abandonware, I suppose that’s why I’m hesitating here.

Hive can produce ridiculously good FM with its new wavetables but I’m afraid I’d miss the real-time control. And I believe we’ll have to wait a bit before Zebra 3 is available... yup, I love u-he synths.

More expensive but am also seriously considering getting a Digitone.
FM8 is not abandoned. It is supported, just not actively developed. The morphing is sweet!

No need to wait for Zebra 3... Zebra 2 does beautiful FM stuff. And yeah, the pure clarity of Hive's FM wavetables is startling. But yeah, not much realtime control.

If you are trying to save CPU, something like the Digitone is a good plan. And if you get along with the Elektron way, hella fun!
Considering you and I have similar tastes in synths (from what I've read, I gave a new proper try to FM8 this morning and was actually pleasantly surprised. It's quite intuitive and fast to operate, and has a pedagogic quality to it. I've just bought a licence on kvr marketplace hehe.

re: Z2/Z3 : I bought a licence not that long ago, and haven't spent much time with it yet (focusing on Bazille instead (no regrets ^^))... so I've barely scratched the surface. I was considering waiting for Z3 instead, so that I could first keep on exploring what I already use.

When it comes to the Digitone, I think I'll bite the bullet soonish, every demo I've heard sound pretty lush. And my guts are telling me it's going to get along fantastically with TidalCycles :)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:28 am

Trying to find info about this, but seems v3 is by Image Line, which would suggest it evolved into Toxic Biohazard?
Indeed. Now it's Toxic Biohazard.
Fernando (FMR)

nilhartman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:47 pm When it comes to the Digitone, I think I'll bite the bullet soonish, every demo I've heard sound pretty lush. And my guts are telling me it's going to get along fantastically with TidalCycles :)
The Digitone looks solid... plenty of capability in a very compact unit. I haven't tried one in person...

It’s my most used elektron box at the moment, and I have most of them! As well as sounding great you have the midi sequencer as well (4 tracks) adding all that elektron sequencer goodness to anything midi (or cv via a converter)

Just waiting for it’s overbridge editor and then it will be even more fun!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

fmr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:24 am
antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:28 am

Indeed. Now it's Toxic Biohazard.
ToxicIIII.png
Toxic Biohazard is Toxic IIII, aka 4 apparently.
I prefer the more classic UI design of 2.5 to the more spaceship style 'modern' UI they did for Toxic Biohazard, which has dated a lot faster.
I wonder if there's a way to make it look more like 2.5...
Also, I don't see the Attack Slope and Decay Slope curves on Toxic 4, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? (did they remove them?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toxic 4 itself was from 2008. There doesn't seem to be a lot of new FM synths, most of the ones I can think of that focus on FM are around 10+ years old. Flow Motion is the only recent one I can think of. Most modern synths seem to feature FM as a more streamlined one-knob feature, like Serum or SynthMaster One.

Aalto is one of the more left-field FM synths, even that is over 10 years old, but a lot more viable today since CPUs are more powerful and the code has been optimised. Madrona Labs synths are nuts, how about Granular FM in Kaivo!

I'm actually considering getting Tone2 Nemesis while it's on sale the different flavours of FM are quite interesting - I'm not sure whether to just get the base synth, or the bundle with the expansions. Are the expansions worth getting? (if I do end up getting it).
The other synth I know I will get at some point is Bazille, I'm waiting for it to be updated :laughing:

Aalto was released in 2012/13 I believe ? Anyway, Bazille is fantastic the way it already is, don't wait for an update to dive in ;)
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:50 am Aalto was released in 2012/13 I believe ? Anyway, Bazille is fantastic the way it already is, don't wait for an update to dive in ;)
Summer 2010? (but was Mac only initially?) - so I guess it's almost 9 years old then :P

I know Bazille is fantastic! It seems to be a favourite amongst many here.
I need a reason not to buy it now though, I have so many synths :D
It would be good to have the new preset browser! I might wait till there is a sale... or until I crack.

Hehe, my bad re: Aalto (my 1st post-Reason synth back then).
I’ve basically spent the last couple of years solely using Bazille, so I guess I’m quite biased here ;)
.com
3OP

Return to “Instruments”