Modern FM8?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:42 pm
sinemotor wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 pm And yeah, PP is awesome (I'm beta testing it) but I'm not thinking about it as an FM synth, more like something between Serum and FM8 in terms of FM capabilities.
But technically you can create an FM template with 6 (or 8, 16, whatever...) sinewave oscillators acting like FM operators and modulating each others, etc. You get the idea. But yes in that case Phase Plant is more like a modular FM and you don't have the proper "DX-like FM synth" interface.
Sure, but just glancing at the resulting web of modulations you won't be able to even guess what type of algorithm you have there - you need to hover over one thing to see what other things it modulates, etc. It's an awesome synth with analog modelling, wavetables, samples, FM, RM, AM, etc. but that's exactly the problem - if it's for everything, it's not the best at one single thing :D
What it needs is a FM routing module with built in support for various algo - that's how the Clavia G2 modular synth handles that issue.

dexed for mojo
sytrus for features
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:22 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pmIt might not be what the OP is looking for...
OP addressed that very subject in a post immediately before yours ;) :P
Sorry I lost track that you are the OP......... :dog:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Nena2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 pm Except that I have trouble finding libraries from the real instrument to use in Dexed.
There are thousands of DX7 Patches available. Here's a good start:

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

FM 8 ?

Its modern (minus resizing)

Elektronisch wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:36 am FM 8 ?

Its modern (minus resizing)
Sure, but GUI is exactly why I'd love it to be refreshed - it should be bigger, with more stuff on screen at the same time and likely more saturated, because blue & grey on white perhaps looks cool but it's not comfortable to look at for hours :)

Feature-wise I agree it's as good as it gets.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I miss the FM7 gui style actually.

Hmmm, quite an interesting topic really. I love FM synthesis and have been investigating it from the day u-he Bazille was released.

Baz’s an amazing modular beast which lets you go deep in FM territories, it’s stunningly capable and sounds so lush... but as I’m building a laptop centric setup to play live partially improvised computer music I’m not sure my CPU will handle several instances + processing. So I’m looking for alternatives, not to replace Bazille but to complement it.

I always try to rely on just a couple of synths rather than piling them up. It encourages me to learn its strengths and quirks rather than skipping through presets (which I sincerely dislike).

And it seems that FM8 is still relevant in 2019. It looks like abandonware, I suppose that’s why I’m hesitating here.

Hive can produce ridiculously good FM with its new wavetables but I’m afraid I’d miss the real-time control. And I believe we’ll have to wait a bit before Zebra 3 is available... yup, I love u-he synths.

More expensive but am also seriously considering getting a Digitone.
Last edited by nilhartman on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

FM8 is fantastic, very good GUI, excellent sound quality, deeply programmable. GUI could be bigger, but that's it for me. Workhorse synth here ...

There are strong fm features in Rob Papen Blue II , and maybe in Arturia Synclavier...

FM8 has less sound design features than Sytrus, right? Too bad that waveshaping options in Sytrus can't be automated. It can create some really strange sounds.

Hopefully Propellerhead will port their amazing PX7 FM Synth to VST like they did with Europa.

Im a pretty big FM fan, and I never thought Id do it but Ive gone for samples for much of my FM stuff. Super Audio Cart, FM Tines 1 & 2 covers quite a bit. Im also planning to get the new UVI FM collection.

But I use FM8 for some of my leads and it has an amazing depth to it for some of the things Ive managed to create with it. Part of that may be the use of unison + stereo spread, instant magic. Then the easy page is a ticket to easy evolving sounds with velocity etc.

FM8 is a great FM synth. I have a number of FM synths and I still think FM8 is the best of the lot. Yep, the GUI could use a size increase with more parameters visible and maybe a few extra tidbits in the Easy page. Improved filter types would be cool. But what I’d really like to see is the addition of the SY/TG 77 feature of modulating an AFM voice by an AWM wave. Drag n dropping any audio file you’d like would be just killer here.
On a number of Macs

Return to “Instruments”