Rob Papen Explorer 5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I recently bought Rob Papens amazing RP delay, and from there, got his Go2 softsynth. Along with those I got his modulation FX as part of one package. So I got his offer of Exporer 5 for a good deal having bought 2 of his products already. I already own quite a few high end softsynths including a lot of U-he's stuff, Korg's KLC, Synthmaster and Imposcar 2. But Rob's stuff obviously has a well deserved great reputation, and given my happiness with what I got from him already, do you think getting Explorer 5 is worth it and a good idea?

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It has some nice synths which don't get the credit they deserve.

Predator 2
Blue II
Subboombass 2
Punch

Haven't tried Vecto but judging from demo vids it sounds nice.

But Stefken, if you read reviews of his stuff, they are rarely less than glowing and their sound quality, like Urs' stuff, is never questioned, for me probably the most important point. I love Go2 and it's making an appearance, or many, in all of my stuff now ever since I bought it. Maybe one issue regarding his being better known is that he doesn't have a forum, which U-he does, and it being so active also helps generate interest. Anyway, I am already pretty sure I am going to get the package after doing more research.

I ended up getting explorer 4 after buying Blade then Blue II 2nd hand and upgraded to 5 recently. Vecto I like a lot, Raw Kick is better than I thought it'd be (presets waaay too loud imo however) and I use Predator 2 occasionally. Blue II is one of my favorite softsynths, full stop. Blade a little more niche, maybe not for everyone but there's something I personally love about it.

Haven't used the mixing/mastering/fx or other synths from the bundle much although I've heard people rate the reverb highly. Depends what you have. Subboombass 2 I couldn't wrap my head around but got one very nice sub patch from it and could see it being useful.

Thanks for your thoughts nusound. I've now done a lot of research-videos, reviews of various RP things along with my own now constant use of the things I do have and have come to the conclusion it's a no brainer given the cost for all that stuff. I can't see the Subboombass being very difficult to understand given its relative simplicity, though it looks like it has a lot of cool occillator shaping with the other page. And it looks as if you could use it as a cool sequencer divorced from being merely a bass type instrument.

EVERY ONE of Rob Papens instruments are of the highest audio quality and very musical.
If I were on a desert island, The only two products I'd ever need are Explorer and Spectrasonics.... :harp:

Mike

RP products the best)))))
I use Blue II, SubBoomBass1 and RG, it's have cool sound and very convenient settings.

I got it and it's already in my system and has been used. Really facinated by Blade and like the looks of Vecto, Predator 2 . Haven't had a chance to even use the Verb, but it looks like it's great and alreayd love the Delay and Mod effects. All this new stuff to work with is almost intimidating and a tad ovewhelming. Just trying to get through a lot of the sounds could take weeks.

These plugins are great, they are well made, don't have nasty bugs afaik, and the cpu usage is not high in the most cases.
Plus their support is usually very quick.

It’s a really good collection of interesting synths and effects. Worth going for IMO.

The effects plugin GUIs are a bit dated but the updates to RP EQ and RP Verb are excellent. I am hoping they update the delay, Distort and Amod soon.

I love RP-Verb and RP- Verb2 with big reverse features.
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

:tu: Yeah, I can't wait to get into looking at the Verb 2 , especially its reverse feature, and that is one of the great feautres also in his amazing RP-Delay. The RP-Mod is such a great modulation tool also, espeically with all its configurations of parallel, serial, etcetera.

Explorer is a great package. Very useful stuff in there. For reasons i can't quite explain, I'm drawn to RG. I own other more realistic guitar emulations, but there are some very interesting things I can get out of RG, particularly when I experiment with unusual effect combinations.

Overall, Explorer touches all the bases. RP is a solid developer who clearly cares about this stuff. My guess is that you won't be disappointed.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Return to “Instruments”