Wusik X42 BETA (Windows only for now) - Instrument/Effect Bridge and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apr 15 2019 - V1.0.0 BETA #044

- Fixed some problems with windows not been the right size when using the Windows Scale mode.
- Fixed problems when closing and re-opening the editor/UI.
- Fixed several internal problems.

! Important ! - be sure to update all the files from the data folder and re-scan and re-do the list of plugins, both on the plugin's manager and also in the manager output. So you have only new files from this beta version. In the plugin's manager, clear the list and rescan.

I didn't forget the OSX version. I just need to figure a way to handle files in protected areas of the OS, something I have never done (that's why there's no install on OSX anymore). :dog: :cry: If anyone knows some easy way to handle this, please, do let me know. :hug: On Windows is super easy, just run with administrator rights. Just one line in the compiler to change. But from what I read so far, on OSX things are a bit more complicated...

Cheers, WilliamK

Probably the most straightforward way (albeit not the easiest for the end user) on OSX is to prompt the user to give the installer the "Full Disk Access" permission (security and privacy control panel -> Full Disk Access). This should allow the installer to write where needed, while still being a little short of requiring admin rights.

I don't know the details of the Wusik installer, but I know that the regular mac "installer" packages have some method that prompts for admin permissions, which allows writing into the semi-protected plugins folders. I've seen other non-standard installers like the Melda installer also do this, although they usually prompt for admin access directly on launch. I don't know if that access is maintained during the normal program runtime, though.

Another approach is to say "screw it, we'll just do a user install instead," and install plugin files etc. to the non-protected areas of the system (i.e. the user folder) and use the per-user library path (for example HD > Users > ztrauq > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components, VSTs, etc.). This only makes the files accessible by the current user, though, rather than by all users on the system.

Given the way things are set up these days, having whatever bridging app is actually running get the Full Disk Access permissions is probably the easiest way to get there, although it does mean asking a couple of extra steps of the user during the initial install process. Keep in mind that I am not a Mac dev, but having struggled with getting things to work under the new file restrictions these seem to be the options I've noticed.

Thanks, I will figure something out. :hug:

-------------------

New BETA for Windows.

Apr 16 2019 - V1.0.0 BETA #046

- Fixed some problems with the scanner.
- Added Version number to the manager, it shows on the window title but also when you click the Wusik logo on the top.
- Improved path and file handling, so now you can use a non-empty folder and the code will check for files that have the .wconfig file along before deleting it and creating a new one (if required). It will also show warning messages when files failed to be created or when files already exist when they shouldn't.

! Important ! - be sure to update all the files from the data folder and re-scan and re-do the list of plugins, both on the plugin's manager and also in the manager output. So you have only new files from this beta version. In the plugin's manager, clear the list and rescan.

Cheers, WilliamK

Just uploaded the new Windows installer: BETA_WIN_Wusik_X42_Installer.exe

I used Innosetup, so it should work correctly. :cool:

Cheers, WilliamK

Ok, I updated the installer to include the manual, but also uploaded the manual here:

www.wusik.com/download/Wusik%20X42.pdf

Cheers

Apr 16 2019 - V1.0.0 BETA #048

- Added PDF Manual.
- Added Windows Installer.
- When scanning for plugins and one fails, it will still list in the plugin's list so you can manage it (change filename and sub-folder(s)) but won't be able to bridge it.
- Fixed some problems with the scanner.
- Added Version number to the manager, it shows on the window title but also when you click the Wusik logo on the top.
- Improved path and file handling, so now you can use a non-empty folder and the code will check for files that have the .wconfig file along before deleting it and creating a new one (if required). It will also show warning messages when files failed to be created or when files already exist when they shouldn't.

Hi William,
I just installed the latest 0048, but the problem with scaling still persists?

It shouldn't, I tested here. I'm out the door, going to visit my parents. Tomorrow I double check. Txs.

Some additional information that might help you:
I'm using a Surface Laptop with Windows 10 scaling set to 125%. As Reaper is very blurry with this setting, I enabled in Reaper in the preferences General -> Advanced UI/System tweaks -> HiDPI-mode to "Aware". This makes Reaper sharp on my display, but introduces the scaling problem in X42. When changing it to its default value "Unaware" the X42 window looks fine but blurry again.
Beside that I checked it in the Host-module of VCV Rack and the behaviour is the same.
Being myself experienced with software development (no audio/dsp, just business-solutions), I think your bridge-process should inhert the scaling-settings from its parent plugin-process…

I recorded the current behaviour. If you need any testing let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah, makes sense, thank you so much. :hug: tomorrow I will check things out.

Apr 17 2019 - V1.0.0 BETA #052

- Updated the interface and also the manual.
- Improved the DPI detection of the monitor.

Cheers, WilliamK

Apr 17 2019 - V1.0.0 BETA #054

- Added a code to check if the master plugin crashed so it will close the bridged plugin too.
- Updated the interface and also the manual.
- Improved the DPI detection of the monitor.

Had to update the installer as it wasn't replacing older files. Now it does.

Uploaded a new file: WIN_Wusik_X42_Installer_BETA_54b.exe

Hi William,
the window looks nice now :clap: Two small things I noticed:
- When clicking the bridge-window on the taskbar the window doesn't get minimized as usual, but a smaller X42-window is shown.
- When minizing the host the bridge-window gets minimized too, but the plugin-overlay is still shown.

Return to “Instruments”