Omnisphere 2.6 announced at NAMM [RELEASED 27-03-19]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

I caved in and bought it.

Can't wait!

But I'll have to, download is going to take quite a while it seems...

samsam wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 am I caved in and bought it.

Can't wait!

But I'll have to, download is going to take quite a while it seems...
Congratulations, your in for some fun!

I'm liking the new arpeggiator... plus I have some hardware in their profiles... For the first time I am having the thought of buying Omnisphere.

^ Yup....know what you mean...

26 hours to download, fun to start exploring. Reminds me of Alchemy in some ways, good to have that sort of thing back in my collection.

2.6 integration with my hardware only gonna make this thing better too.

Omni's getting so much love and attention lately! I really want to program it using hardware - and came so close to buying a Novation Bass Station II a few weeks back. A thread last December asking about experiences using hardware to patch Omni got a 50-50 verdict: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=517236

I was hoping someone was going to come out with an Omni hardware controller at Namm.

Despite my real actual physical MS-20iC being on the way, I found myself playing with tablet control again at the weekend in quiet moments. I've given up on Lemur as a) being too flaky on Windows, b) insanely complicated and c) now unsupported, so I'm trying out Midi Designer Pro 2. I've made it work nicely in Windows using a cabled connection and the MusicIO app. MusicIO needs iTunes installed, but not necessarily running, to work, and you need to put dummy midi and audio channels in the DAW - the audio channel hosts the MusicIO VST plugin that communicates with the iPad, the midi plugin needs to be set to input monitor and fed to Omnisphere (I figured it was a bad idea to add this new virtual midi input to All Midi Inputs in Cubase and feed random CCs to literally every plugin in the project).

It's MUCH nicer to use than Lemur, and is mostly nicer on the eye graphically (annoying that there's no waverform icons though). I've had one total loss of communication which required a complete iPad reset, but that might be related to a dodgy value I sent accidentally. Apart from that its been rock solid. Thus far just done a couple of low hanging fruit plugins, the JU-06 and VP-03 boutique synths:

I'm not going to go crazy on this, but as a background activity I'll probably plug away at hardware profiles that look interesting. There's a nice SE-02 on the Midi Designer website that already works really well, but surprisingly few others. There's a Prophet 12 but I find it really messy.

Obviously its not hardware, but its still a good experience to program along the specific lines of the hardware models, it was very quick to create a few nice patches that were very evocative of those two synths. Hardware Integration works great.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I’m surprised nobody has done this with generic midi controllers yet. Or maybe they have but I don’t know about it. Do you have a collection of the midi specs for these hardware synths? Ie what values each button or knob or slider sends so as to replicate in your control apps? Since spectrasonics has all this info it would be cool if they could share for all the synths they’ve done so far. Maybe I’ll ask support about that.

Echoes - I get all the info from the user manuals that are online. Some you have to guess the actual values used for switches etc, but the all important CC / NRPN numbers always seem to be listed. But if Spectrasonics had a shareable master list, that would be fantastic.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 pm Since spectrasonics has all this info it would be cool if they could share for all the synths they’ve done so far. Maybe I’ll ask support about that.
If they give you an answer about that, can you share the info with us here? :)

So other developers could do it easily? Pray tell what would motivate spectraosonics to do this?
Rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:44 pm So other developers could do it easily? Pray tell what would motivate spectraosonics to do this?
Rsp
Cause no other developer would do it anyway... It takes a big company to have the resources and that company needs a massively capable synth like Omnisphere. Maybe UVI and Falcon.

The new updates have been amazing. This looks like another great update. The chord update for the arp is pretty cool. Probably won't use the capture function, but it's a nice addition. Looking forward to new pads with D50 soundsources. Eric had some nice stuff going on one of the videos. Always happy to see more Virus soundsources.

Is this really the first synth with chord inversions inside the arp?

Return to “Instruments”