Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

kmonkey wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:51 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am Will Hive 2 be able to replace my existing Hive projects?
Yes, it'll completely replace Hive 1.x
Extremely exciting news about Hive 2. Looking forward to that.

Can i post a question.

1. When you say "Yes, it'll completely replace Hive 1.x" does it mean Hive 2 have same VST ID and i can simply uninstall Hive 1 and install Hive 2 and all my session will load nicely and synth sounds (created in Hive 1) will sound equally same in v2?

If that's the case then this is what i call compatibility done properly!

Or...

2. we need to install another .dll which will have different VST ID and presumably different .dll name and under compatibility you mean to say that we can load Hive 2 and load preset from Hive 1 and it will work same? We just have to replace all Hive 1 in our previously created sessions?

Kind regards

It's #1.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 pm It's #1.
Really cool.

Re update procedure etc: Yes, Hive 2.0 will have same ID, same name, same everything... just a new serial, new UI, more stuff.
Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 pmWhy don't all developers do this
Because sometimes upgrades are not backwards compatible. Like Dune 1 -> Dune 2. But then, Dune 2 -> 3 was compatible, so no need to install in parallel.

anoise wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 pm There was a discussion not long ago about the unison in Hive vs Virus.
viewtopic.php?p=7256920#p7256920

TL/DR:
Virus: 2 hypersaw oscillators with 9 voices x 8 (max) global unison = 144 max voices / note
Hive: 4 oscillators (with Sub Osc on "=") with 16 voices = 64 max voices / note

I'm fine with 16 (if I want more I have Viper), but as you can read in the post in the link it is not hard to implement. I was just curious what decisions were made regarding unison.
I suppose raising the osc unison from 16 to 32 would do no harm anyway (except cpu). :shrug:
But thing is with unison and unison on a single oscillator that unison on a whole is per voice sounds quite different thats why i see pointless adding more unison per oscillator. But i wouldnt mind to have like 4-8 unison on whole synth.

Urs, are there plans to add thing like that? :)

anoise wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 pm There was a discussion not long ago about the unison in Hive vs Virus.
viewtopic.php?p=7256920#p7256920

TL/DR:
Virus: 2 hypersaw oscillators with 9 voices x 8 (max) global unison = 144 max voices / note

I'm fine with 16 (if I want more I have Viper), but as you can read in the post in the link it is not hard to implement. I was just curious what decisions were made regarding unison.
I suppose raising the osc unison from 16 to 32 would do no harm anyway (except cpu). :shrug:
The answer is in the very same thread/comment:
Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 pm
anoise wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:17 pm
HcDoom wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 pm Ok, this is made with a non uhe synth - 2 osc plus sub, no additonal effects or tricks. Can someone replicate this hypersaw like sound in Hive?

https://instaud.io/33Dz
These hypersaws are usually from the virus, right? So, global unison is what makes these hypersaws so phat/thicc :hihi:
Hive does not have global unison.
Global unison on super/hypersaw is the answer. Correct me if I am wrong.
Well, if people want global unison and if that's the answer to all their needs, we can certainly add the controls to the UI. It's already built-in, but doesn't fit my vision for Hive.

(and saying so would have been a lot less hassle than talking about something else, e.g. unsion oscillator detuning)
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:04 pm
The answer is in the very same thread/comment:
viewtopic.php?p=7256926#p7256926
"Easier yet: We up the max unsion to 32. Or 40, for good measure." :wink:

Just use pink noise as an oscillator, it will sound like tens of thousands of oscillators :party:

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm Just use pink noise as an oscillator, it will sound like tens of thousands of oscillators :party:
:party:

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am Will Hive 2 be able to replace my existing Hive projects?
Yes, it'll completely replace Hive 1.x
Automatically? So i wont need to save presets for every Hive project, just update hive and Poof my projects will open?
Why don't all developers do this

this question i was asking me very often.
Especialy if you see Native Instruments, if they update kontakt or reaktor they can't open the old reaktor 5 sounds with raktor 6 in maschine 2. They updated all the expansions some months later. On kore they had the same shit .... whit every komplete update it wasn't able to open a newer version of kontakt, battery or guitar rig, so Kore wasn't able to edit their own sounds....now i need kontakt 3, 4 ,5, guitar rig 3,4, 5, absynth 4, 5, battery 3,4 and reaktor 5, 6, maschine 1 and 2 all with equal sound only to open old projects and ableton supports only one plugin folder. Same problem with arturia, spire, xils lab and many other companies like plugin alliance. That is the reason why i haven't bought NI since Kontakt 9
If the synth doesn't change like dune 1 and dune 2 there is no need, because you can't install so much plugins.
I want to have a clean system without 100 old plugins to get older projects startet and on ableton you have to copy paste every single automation, if you wan't to change to newer version of a plugin.
Also what happens if the older plugin can't be installed on future systems, so i would prefer a sound difference compared to scrap my system with old versions
Tone2 and omnisphere are also doing these major updates very nice.

antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm
PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:32 pmUp to 16 voices/osc x 4 osc = max 64 unison voices, how many more do you need? :o

BTW, Hi! Are you missing me in the PsyProducers' Music Group? ;) :D
I can see where you pick up your bad manners, there are some unnecessarily angry opinionated people in this place :hihi:
Always Read the Manual!

sacer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:16 pm
I want to have a clean system without 100 old plugins to get older projects startet and on ableton you have to copy paste every single automation, if you wan't to change to newer version of a plugin.
Also what happens if the older plugin can't be installed on future systems, so i would prefer a sound difference compared to scrap my system with old versions
Exactly.
FabFilter is also a bad offender with Pro-Q3.
It has same workflow, same algorithms and presets are compatible, but you need to manually move them over. For a god-damn EQ that sounds the same. Give me a break

I made the choice to pretty much only keep Hive and got rid of the usual suspects. It has since then become my go-to synth. I'm glad I made the right choice! :)

Only thing I miss at the moment is more modulation sources, to be able to create more modulations. I think one (or maybe two) versatile and easy-to-work-with MSEG's would enhance the possibilites in Hive for sure. Want to make more bpm-synced rhythm-based modulations.

Still struggling with scripting my own wavetables, but the ones that are there already sounds fantastic.

this list is endless, if you have some plugins bought

My biggest grip with the hexagon is the patterned background, I mean do you guys miss the early late 90s and 2000s think FrontPage websites!!! Patterned background stink, especially when you eye sight is a bit iffy. Really like the look of the new GUI but biggest plus for me is the solid colour background. :tu:

Keeping that hexagon is a limiting factor towards things like arps and anything you want to put there basically. You'll always be limited in space.
If you compare to e.g. pigments where you have large panes for the sequencer, mseg's and what not, I know which design I would go for.
I can understand that redoing a GUI can take quite some work, but that does not seem to be the reason. It's : we had a change of heart :wink: .

Return to “Instruments”