Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

FWIW I have an art and design background and find Hive's Hexagon UI to be fun, fresh, and functional. Makes me feel like I'm strapped into the cockpit of an intergalactic spaceship with everything within easy reach. Hexagon's central placement makes a lot of sense especially with the Wavetable display.

i love bees, so the hexagon works for me :)

not wasps though.
wasps are arseholes.

Stefken wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:19 pmDon't quote me.
Nature seems to be quite fond of hexagons.

Stefken wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:26 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:46 pm
Stefken wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm I've been doing graphic and UI design professionaly for quite some time, so as I see it he's getting free professional advice.
Why not make a new skin or a mock-up of your ideas ? Pictures speak louder than words. Perhaps you can convert other people into disliking the Hexagon as much as you do.

Other people have made skins for Hive. Shouldn't be that hard for a professional UI designer... :wink:
It did itch but it don't think it's going to happen.
Moneywise it would be a bad investment in hours.
I would have to be a labor of love but as I am not going to buy Hive..., no.
I guess someone else will have to do it.
Why all the fuss about a synth you‘re not gonna buy? :roll:

why pour gasoline on a fire that seems to be smoldering and hopefully going out ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:23 pm i love bees, so the hexagon works for me :)

not wasps though.
wasps are arseholes.

vurt.... behive your self...
if possible
:D

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:24 pm not wasps though.
wasps are arseholes.
dont forget lawless
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

:hihi:

that ones pretty good. so no :smack:

toonertik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:16 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:23 pm i love bees, so the hexagon works for me :)

not wasps though.
wasps are arseholes.

vurt.... behive your self...
if possible
:D
buzz off...

The hexagon is kind of an image label for Hive - that's why the synth is called HIVE. A hive is made of hexagons.

Like a Zebra has to have stripes (although currently, it seems Zebra lost the stripes) :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:22 pm The hexagon is kind of an image label for Hive - that's why the synth is called HIVE. A hive is made of hexagons.

Like a Zebra has to have stripes (although currently, it seems Zebra lost the stripes) :hihi:
Yes exactly
finally someone made the hex :tu:

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:20 pm
buzz off...
B :zzz:

Stefken wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:25 pmWith all respect, but I have a lot more experience in this field than you and I 'see' at lot more than you.
So yes, the hexagon is an obvious flaw that stares me in the face.
Where? How? Be specific because what I see is a space crammed full of stuff, with absolutely nothing wasted. Hive uses the hexagon space far more efficiently than it uses the other, more box-like shapes in the outer GUI. That's there for everyone to see and beyond dispute.
And we are not talking about minor precentages points, you just can't see it.
So show us, oh great guru! Put your money where your mouth is and stop being vague about it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dear Urs,
Please read until the end, and I'm glad if you consider it.
I'm not good at English. So I wrote this text with the help of the Internet and automatic translation. I'm sorry if you may not understand or you feel bad.

Hive is my favorite synthesizer. But Unfortunately, Hive2's graphic that currently uploaded is not good and not acceptable to me. It's sad that Hive's design will change to like that.
I will talk about design from now, But I will not talk about "Good design". I will talk about the basic design. "Good design" is the next level of the basic design (idea, artistic part, etc.).

When you think about what is design, Please imagine the condition that you communicate with someone who has a different mother tongue.
Probably, You'll try to communicate by Using common understanding, Using simple words, and Explaining in due order. Design is also the same. Design is nothing less than that to make people understand with less information. When a user touches the synthesizer for the first time, The user has no knowledge of that synthesizer. So, You need to make them understand how to use it. To do that, You'll use common understanding, use simple words, and explain in due order.

■ Use common understanding
Using association with the real life experience. For example, knobs are possible to turn, sliders are possible to slide.
By having rules like "the similar behavior has a similar shape", Let the user predict behavior and enable learning.
Wrong cases in Hive2 :
· Use the similar graphic for buttons that behave differently
· Use multiple different graphics together without a reason
These cases not only create confusion for users, They make learning impossible.

■ Use simple words
When you use words in design, It's Important that easy to understand, and clarify what is written about.
Wrong cases in Hive2 :
· Paste different label on button with same function
· Label positions are not unified
· Mix abbreviations and full words
· Use abbreviation that can't determine original word

■ Explain in due order
If there is a procedure 1 → 2 → 3, Professional designers do not line them 1 → 3 → 2. They will line them 1 → 2 → 3. Also, Unless there are special occasions, Does not place functions to use together apart from each other.
Correctly arranging not only deepens understanding, but also has a great meaning in improving work efficiency.
Wrong case in Hive2 :
When trying to set envelope for the filter,
In case of Hive, it's in alignment with Cutoff → ENV Amount → Envelope, It is easy to understand and easy to use.
But, Hive2's placement is not appropriate, causing confusion.

I listed several wrong cases, But they are just a little part. Hive2's UI has really many mistakes.
I'd like you to understand, Hive2's graphic that currently uploaded is not suitable for a professional synthesizer. Please back the design of Hive2 to the drawing board once. And Please leave the design to someone with expert knowledge.

I sincerely hope that Hive2 will be a wonderful product like Hive.

Best regards.

Return to “Instruments”