Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

5Lives wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pmI also sold my Hive license right before the wavetable update. Loved the sound but didn’t love the interface personally (couldn’t find a skin I liked). The hexagon also felt constraining for the stuff that you edit inside there (like the arp and FX). Looking forward to seeing what version 2 will bring.
Are you freakin' kidding me? Of all the lame, stupid, plain ol' dumbass reasons to stop using a software synth, this one takes the biscuit. Hive's GUI is one of the best I have ever encountered. It is ultra-intuitive - you never need to dive into menus and most things are exactly where you'd expect them to be. If you can't get what you want out of Hive, quickly and easily, you'll never find any synth you can use. For a reasonable complex instrument, it is stupidly easy to use.

You know, just last night I was marvelling at what a great job they've done utilising the hexagon to the fullest. Compare it to something like DUNE or Sylenth 1 and it's chalk and cheese. Where everything in those screens is tiny and everything outside the screens is huge, Hive strikes a really good balance - the controls inside the hexagon are slightly smaller than those outside but it's not at all jarring like DUNE or Sylenth 1.

If you look at all the different skins available for Hive, not just ones that recolour the original, they are all terrible; much, much worse in terms of usability. Even the mighty Satyatunes couldn't match the original, and he's had a couple of goes at it.
btfnk wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:51 am Never connected with Hive and I really think the interface had a lot to do with it as I'm otherwise a huge U-he fanboy. Looking forward to that changing in v2.
What's wrong with it? I think it's absolutely amazing.
PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:34 am... a more streamlined and immediate workflow... I feel that it now has the power and flexibility (with more to come) of much more complex synths, without any of the baggage that usually comes with them i.e. excess clicking/tabbing.
This! It is also surprisingly versatile for something that, at first, seems pretty focussed.
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:31 pmI thought the same. I dont remember the case i actually really needed more then what virus has (which is 9).
What I find with Unison on most synths is that once you get past about 5 (I always do an odd number so one voice is dead-centre in the spread), the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard. Sometimes I'll do 7 or 9 but in a mix it's hard to tell between those and 5 most of the time. Of course, there ar always exception but 16 per oscars, plus another 16 for the sub-osc, is plenty for any situation I've come up against.
Stefken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm Keeping that hexagon is a limiting factor towards things like arps and anything you want to put there basically. You'll always be limited in space.
The obvious solution, as it is for DUNE, would be to move the sequencer down to where the keyboard and Mod Matrix pages display. OK, you might want to use the keyboard to program the sequencer but they could keep a sliver of it at the top for that, with the sequencer below. The hex screen itself isn't a bad idea but putting the sequencer in there definitely was.

I prefer drawable LFO shapes to MSEGs, they are much more suited to rhythmic work.
vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 pmThe controls draw the eye more than the status of the controls (i.e., the knobs are nice and visible so you see the knob first and then your eye determines where the knob is turned to).
That's interesting because my experience is the opposite. Because the ring showing the knob position stands out so much more than the knob itself, I find my eye drawn to the value, not the control itself. It's good thing because you can quickly see which parameters are in use and which are at their default values.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:12 am
5Lives wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pmI also sold my Hive license right before the wavetable update. Loved the sound but didn’t love the interface personally (couldn’t find a skin I liked). The hexagon also felt constraining for the stuff that you edit inside there (like the arp and FX). Looking forward to seeing what version 2 will bring.
Are you freakin' kidding me? Of all the lame, stupid, plain ol' dumbass reasons to stop using a software synth, this one takes the biscuit. Hive's GUI is one of the best I have ever encountered. It is ultra-intuitive - you never need to dive into menus and most things are exactly where you'd expect them to be. If you can't get what you want out of Hive, quickly and easily, you'll never find any synth you can use. For a reasonable complex instrument, it is stupidly easy to use.
I disagree - and not respectfully either since you seem to be incapable of respecting opinions. For how old it seems you are, you appear to have the mental capabilities of a toddler and the emotional IQ of Donald Trump. Also, your opinion (which is what it is) on literally anything on this forum matters jack sh*t to me because your music sounds like a cat taking a sh*t through its mouth.

This is my way of saying - IDGAF what you think. Don't quote me in the future. :clap:

No, that's your way of saying you can't possibly justify what you said, so you'll be an arsehole instead. Good on you, tiger. Surely you must realise that telling me not to quote you in future is bound to have the opposite effect, right?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

5Lives wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 pm Eh - regardless of cheek bones, workflow matters with any tool. I personally didn’t like Hive’s. Similarly, I don’t like modular synths no matter how nice they look. Thankfully there are plenty of other instrument options available today (I personally prefer programming sounds in Avenger and Ana 2).
At the risk of sounding like a broken record - are you freakin' kidding me? Or do you enjoy having 80% of an instrument's parameters hidden behind tabs or menus or buttons? Or is it the layout following the signal path sort of thing that confuses you?

5Lives wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 am
BONES wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:12 am
I disagree - and not respectfully either since you seem to be incapable of respecting opinions. For how old it seems you are, you appear to have the mental capabilities of a toddler and the emotional IQ of Donald Trump. Also, your opinion (which is what it is) on literally anything on this forum matters jack sh*t to me because your music sounds like a cat taking a sh*t through its mouth.

This is my way of saying - IDGAF what you think. Don't quote me in the future. :clap:
and this stops here, flaming doesn't improve the situation...you sold your copy of Hive, you have no horse in this race, you've said your piece not stop.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:04 amLook at the areas where I've put the orange dots - lots of wasted space.
Negative space is a thing, and for a very good reason.

LFO3? Or not?

Something else...

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:30 am
I prefer drawable LFO shapes to MSEGs, they are much more suited to rhythmic work.

thats exactly what an mseg is

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:44 am Then why is it called an "Envelope Generator" and why aren't they in the LFO section? They can do the job but they mostly take up too much space and putting them in the LFO is easier for most things.
prob cos thats what they were originally used for.

things move on, you should try it sometime

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:04 am
Stefken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pmBut you're giving up screen real estate and usability for a gimmick. And you could integrate the hexagon-idea in your design in other ways...
Where? Look at it, it's as well used as the rest of the GUI -

Look at the areas where I've put the orange dots - lots of wasted space. Now look at what's displayed in the hexagon, it is making much better use of screen real estate, don't you think?
No, I don't . It's cramped without much visual hierarchy or order, that's not the same thing. The ARP is divided into 2 rows while one row would be much better. (The obvious solution while still clinging to this hexagon design would be to move the arp down to one of the lower sections which have plenty of horizontal space as you and also I suggested). The hexagon also limits other sections; the filter and osc sections in the new version are also cramped as a consequence. It basically limits the whole design in so many ways.

Stefken wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:22 pm The ARP is divided into 2 rows while one row would be much better.
I actually prefer having two rows. It gives a better overview of the modulation. IMO of course.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

again it happens, I say stop people keep it up, for the record a report woke me up at 2:30-3:00 am and the lot of you who continued it are going to be suspended for a month if this happens again ion any thread. The unbelievable disrespect of you people disgusts me. If a mod says stop the stupidity then stop, seriously. At least try ansd understand that I live on the east coast of the U.S. and I actually like to sleep sometimes, the one who openly attacked ME? Thing about that, just because I dont take care of something in the wee hours is not an invitation to you to assume I'm not doing anything.

The worst part is this is a thread for a dev announcing a new version, the disrespect to him is what upsets me, people if you think someone has offended you more offense is not the solution. Again I wont lock this thread, I will suspend the regulars who do this without any further warning. If you cant make your point without being offensive you have absolutely no point to make and you will be gone.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

AnX wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 am
BONES wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:30 am

thats exactly what an mseg is
Not IMO. A MSEG usually allows to loop from an user chosen segment to another user chosen segment (or from the beginning to an user chosen segment) while an LFO always loop from the beginning to the end.

Therefore, a loopable MSEG can do whatever an LFO can and more.
Fernando (FMR)

lfos can be one shot in some synths

but the point was you can draw your own shape in a mseg

Return to “Instruments”