Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

+1 for the filters in a more central position, between OSC and the hexagon. I like how it lets you bring up the MOD/AMP/LFO to the second row.
The MOD/AMP sliders look great. Please keep them as they are now. :tu:
I definitely prefer 2 rows on either side of the hexagon rather than 3. :tu: :tu:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

zklaus wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:25 pm Not finished in terms of contrasts and stuff, but a rough glimpse at what we're going for:
http://u-he.com/img/uhe_Hive2_WIP_preview.jpg
Thoughts? (we've got until, say, early April to change things...)
This looks really cool, very nice looking. 8)
That's a +1 from me.
3D wavetable graphic option?

db3 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 am3D wavetable graphic option?
I'll do gradient fills and stuff, but mesmerizing 3D waveform displays... dunno. Kudos to XFer for nailing it and building an identity out of it, but if just one more synth comes out with it, it will turn it into a cheesy thing.

Urs wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:23 am
I'll do gradient fills and stuff, but mesmerizing 3D waveform displays... dunno. Kudos to XFer for nailing it and building an identity out of it, but if just one more synth comes out with it, it will turn it into a cheesy thing.
Definitely agree. It's a fun gimmick and helps to support Serum as being a very visual synth but it's not conducive to better workflow in Serum and I can't see how it would improve the workflow in Hive either.
Always Read the Manual!

Urs wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:23 am it will turn it into a cheesy thing.
And it hasn't yet? :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol:

Are those 3D portrayals of waveforms even accurate? Prolly just an approximation!

"Gimmicky", I concur.

Urs wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:23 am
Don't see anything cheesy :D . Yes, it can look good, but I also appreciate visual representation of the current point in the table ala Codex, Serum, Rapid etc.

I have a request, if possible to do nicely, within the new GUI, show "hidden" parameters in GUI. :)

Urs wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:06 pm
Stan Navi wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 pmWill it be editable?
In various degrees, but not like a freeform tool. More like Performers and Steppers in certain other synths.
A VERY welcomed feature!

Ploki wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:11 am I tried replicating a super simple Repro-1 patch in HIve, pretty much filtered Saw.
It's incredible how different it sounds.
Well.. You just proved to yourself that Urs isn't selling you the same synth with different UI :hihi:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:11 am I tried replicating a super simple Repro-1 patch in HIve, pretty much filtered Saw.
It's incredible how different it sounds.
Well.. You just proved to yourself that Urs isn't selling you the same synth with different UI :hihi:
and a dummy loop for CPU usage :D

The number one reason to buy a synth is how it sounds. The number one reason to use a synth is how it sounds. The number one reason to keep a synth (to me), is how usable it is - to use how it sounds efficiently and productively. A synth that isn't an emulation doesn't need to pretend to be hardware beyond meeting basic expectations of the target users that it should "look like a synth"... it's one reason the current Hive UI hex "screen" is a bit hard to use: it's almost monochromatic like an inexpensive LCD. The new hex looks much more usable. Finally, if you're spending hours looking at a synth, it helps to not be ugly. I mean, if so many people can use Omnisphere for so long for so many years, then I'm sure the new Hive will be juuuuuuust fine :-)

There's a lot about the Hive UI to like. The addition of an increased palette of colors is a welcome change when it comes to usability. The controls draw the eye more than the status of the controls (i.e., the knobs are nice and visible so you see the knob first and then your eye determines where the knob is turned to). It's a relatively flat UI in terms of not having pages of controls - the "less is more" philosophy - which isn't for everyone! - makes it approachable. And you know if it's U-He, the layout of Hive may look relatively simple, but it will still sound lovely.

A few possible issues have been mentioned already. The mirror-image design undoubtedly causes some early usability issues since the West reads left to right. What stands out more to me is that the controls are mirrored, but the contents within the controls are still left to right (e.g., the LFO's still go left to right and aren't mirrored). However, it's consistent and clear and most users probably learn and use correctly after a couple hours. Also, it's OK to design white space in to a UI, but it should still have utility, either functionally or visually (i.e., whitespace can give controls space to breathe, or to separate out something that's really important or really less so). I hope the space where the WIP is FPO will not remain, as it looks like the modulation "screens" could be spread out and made larger to occupy more of those spaces. Finally, one thing I like as I get older is contrast; beware gray on gray if it's information that matters.

I look forward to hearing and using the finished v2!

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 pmI hope the space where the WIP is FPO will not remain
No worries... a bunch of knobs going there.

Urs wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 pmI hope the space where the WIP is FPO will not remain
No worries... a bunch of knobs going there.
:party:

Thanks, Urs. U-He software is outstanding.

I love Hive but..

If you want to buy a license of Hive, PM me! (ugh, sorry to be that guy.. :roll: um life happened.)

Stefken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pmBut you're giving up screen real estate and usability for a gimmick. And you could integrate the hexagon-idea in your design in other ways...
Where? Look at it, it's as well used as the rest of the GUI -

Look at the areas where I've put the orange dots - lots of wasted space. Now look at what's displayed in the hexagon, it is making much better use of screen real estate, don't you think?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”