Why use emulations of classic analogue synths---is it just nostalgia?...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"because it can do X and others cannot..."
Imagine a place where you'd say 'a flute cannot do guitar nor vice versa' and an argument that both are inferior instruments since both are seriously lacking.
A Minimoog is not going to give you Yamaha FM. You can get a nice synth brass out of a DX7 but you don't have filters and if you wanted a filter sweep easily you're SOL. Both are use cases, everything is use cases.

KVR and synth-only people.

I'm tickling myself imagining a listener with BONES' music going, 'I say, this sounds better than if he used that sodding Minimoog!'. Dude, your music is plodding af.

Sorry, it's not like I'm going to hold onto that one forever. :)

jancivil wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:49 am "because it can do X and others cannot..."
Imagine a place where you'd say 'a flute cannot do guitar nor vice versa' and an argument that both are inferior instruments since both are seriously lacking.
A Minimoog is not going to give you Yamaha FM. You can get a nice synth brass out of a DX7 but you don't have filters and if you wanted a filter sweep easily you're SOL. Both are use cases, everything is use cases.

KVR and synth-only people.

I'm tickling myself imagining a listener with BONES' music going, 'I say, this sounds better than if he used that sodding Minimoog!'. Dude, your music is plodding af.

Sorry, it's not like I'm going to hold onto that one forever. :)
Essentially, what I've noticed about KVR in a nutshell

Joe: I think Omnisphere is a great synth.

Jim: You're an idiot.

All you need to know about KVR.

I think Omnisphere is a great synth.

samsam wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 am I think Omnisphere is a great synth.
this can be true ... AND you can be an idiot
not mutually exclusive :hihi:
KVR also includes idiots that are occasionally correct. Blind squirrel and all that.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 am
this can be true ... AND you can be an idiot
not mutually exclusive :hihi:
KVR also includes idiots that are occasionally correct. Blind squirrel and all that.
Agreed.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 am Blind squirrel
You're now going to say that you saw these on their '74 tour supporting Genesis.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:11 am
SJ_Digriz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 am Blind squirrel
You're now going to say that you saw these on their '74 tour supporting Genesis.
Case in point :tu: :hihi:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I feel like I don’t have synth nostalgia. Guitar nostalgia, but not synth nostalgia. During my formative years, I wasn’t that interested in synthesis... seemed too much like cheezy imitations of acoustic instruments. I think a lot of stuff from the 70s was people not really knowing what to do with them. 80s got a little better, but for me things really got good in the 90s. But even though I got turned off by “Popcorn,” and the like, I still think the sound of a Minimoog Model D is superb. OSCar is amazing. Prophet 5, great. Other synths, like the Jupiter 8... just OK. You’d think if it were only “nostalgia,” I’d also have love for one of the most famous poly synths of all time, but I don’t.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jancivil wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:49 am "Sorry, it's not like I'm going to hold onto that one forever. :)
:)

Well, I feel it necessary to say that I am not targeting Warren in particular here. His views are mainly consistent enough with his outset; it is about songwriting, the style of music he makes and being a touring musician etc.

However, I am not driven by goals like these but other interests for the moment, e.g. a synth’s value is not its sound but its sequencing capabilities; whether it has cool trigger conditions and randomization features. Do not care whether it is FM (like my Digitone), Analog (like my Analog Keys) or Rompler/VA based (like my Korg M3 with Karma II technology), so any value of “better” sound would not make a difference here. I can get something I like from most engines, so sound is secondary in my context.

As far as Boog/minimoog concerns, which I bought before my new agenda, I actually expected to finally conclude that the minimoog fever is mainly hype. However, I was surprised to find that its three fat OSCs could deliver my favorite bass sounds exactly the way I wanted them. Still, it was not in such a shimmering magical way that I believe similar patches from Bass Station 2 could be distinguished to any significance in a mix. Thus, I admit I find the Boog’s sound very yummy, but not to an extent where its lack of patch recall is preferable to making the same type of sounds in synths with recall. Pragmatics rule after all.

For these reasons, any debate that instantly targets synths’ osc, filters, envelopes etc. in discussions of value do not fit with my goals. So how am I expected to care?

However, it is still informative to learn why other people are still into the same old osc-filter story for their particular reasons (or at least why they think they are).

Ahh man..

In fewer words: I do not need generalizations that imply the whole planet to find people's reasons for preferring this or that informative. And stupid/illogical/false reasons are just as informative as clever ones fwiw. Neither do I find myself obliged to generalize my own reasons to add value to them.

You're an idiot! :D

Joke all you want. The sad truth is, THAT'S KVR. Somebody has an opinion that somebody else doesn't agree with and they're made to feel like the stupidest thing on the planet.

Really makes me wonder why anybody bothers staying around here for more than a few weeks before getting tired of it.

Maybe we're ALL idiots.

not "all" of you.

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:57 am not "all" of you.
You're right. Some of us are just morons.

:lol:

Return to “Instruments”