Why use emulations of classic analogue synths---is it just nostalgia?...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm I personally think this <hardware rules ok> bit is like religion for a lot of people.
yeah, i don't get it.
why should what i choose effect what you choose?
i cannot see the rationale behind that :shrug:

IncarnateX wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pmTo both of you: All that may be true, but at least the argument for using emulations cannot “because of the sound” unless you argue that the emulations actually sound better than the clones or the orginals.
I think they definitely do sound better than the originals, if for no other reason than they provide extra options, like polyphony and unison and have none of the drawbacks like noise.
Sure, there may be the usual reasons for going software in contrast to hardware, but it can hardly the the sound that tip the balance when it comes to emulations then.
For me it definitely is, because I just don't rate the sound of old gear in the way that a lot of people do. e.g. I couldn't care less how much my Odyssey VSTi sounds like the original, I like it because it sounds great. If the original sounds as good, or even better, that's lovely but not something I care about. And if The Legend was a slavish emulation of a MiniMoog, I would never use it at all but I do use it because I can stack voices in unison and make it sound absolutely huge.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:57 pm It lacks energy, it's dreary. No way to fix that except by adding other stuff to it and/or doubling the beat or something. It's more than just "not my thing", it's something I listen to and can't find any way at all to get anything from. It leaves me completely cold (and not in a good way).
I've gotta agree with you BONES, Sevdaliza did nothing to inspire me. It sounded like any other modern production female pop song.

If I want female vocals I invariably turn to Ella and Louis. The contrast between the two often leaves me with the chills. And her impeccable pitch, wow!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpnZZqUBpk
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm I've gotta agree with you BONES, Sevdaliza did nothing to inspire me. It sounded like any other modern production female pop song.

If I want female vocals I invariably turn to Ella and Louis. The contrast between the two often leaves me with the chills. And her impeccable pitch, wow!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpnZZqUBpk
I mean... I really love old music and enjoy Ella Fitzgerald, perhaps Billy Holiday even more than the former, even have some on vinyls, but i don't think you're doing Sevdaliza any justice with that description, it just comes across as a little shortsighted. She's an impeccable artist and an amazing singer, just because she won't show it off in every damn song that doesn't diminish that fact: i actually appreciate that...

If i didn't actually study some jazz i could as well throw in "Some old swing for museum people" moniker over Ella Fitzgerald and I would be just about as accurate as your "Any other modern production female pop song"

bmrzycki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm It sounded like any other modern production female pop song.
It looks like you didn't actually listen to much of the track.
It has all of this very elaborate ornamentation out of classical singing, Indo/Persian part of the world (extremely difficult technically, virtuosic) only it was achieved in a pitch editor (I don't know which one). But this kind of thing practically doesn't exist in western music, let alone normal pop productions.

Good job at looking a snob, though. :clap:

jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 pm Good job at looking a snob, though. :clap:
I listened to the whole thing and didn't like it. That makes me a snob? Sheesh.

And here I was thinking music was a personal and emotional experience. I'll try harder next time to make sure I get your approval before I like something.
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm
I listened to the whole thing and didn't like it. That makes me a snob? Sheesh.

And here I was thinking music was a personal and emotional experience. I'll try harder next time to make sure I get your approval before I like something.
it's not the fact that you didn't like it, it's the fact that you tossed it in with other pop productions that made you appear snobbish.

it's always legitimate to dislike something, but not recognising certain objective qualities is not disliking, it's being wilfully ignorant about it.

which is also legitimate, but that makes your opinion about ella fitzgerald equally invalid.

I like the convenience of a Diva or The Legend more than expensive synth i used to own

bmrzycki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pmIf I want female vocals I invariably turn to Ella and Louis. The contrast between the two often leaves me with the chills.
Makes me want to throw up. I hate old music.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

lol :D

Something for the old bag_O_BONES >> :wink:
https://youtu.be/0zsb5rMncYU?t=138

:hug:

The title instantly made me think of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcrsEXxnzI0

A great song from an awesome album. Unfortunately, this is the best quality version I could dig up.

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:19 am The title instantly made me think of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcrsEXxnzI0

A great song from an awesome album. Unfortunately, this is the best quality version I could dig up.
Ah yes. I saw them live on the tour for the previous album, and had a brief chat with a couple of them after the show. Nice guys.

Back on topic, I do care how slavishly accurate an emulation is. Really, the only point in the exercise is to get as close to indistinguishable from the original as possible. I do appreciate additional bells and whistles, as long as the basic emulation is accurate. On the other hand, I agree that a lot of the originals being emulated were nothing special. Or rather, they aren’t inherently better than plenty of other modern instruments.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

@Bones :tu:

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 pm Makes me want to throw up. I hate old music.
you mean old like this? :
https://youtu.be/YNTLqOWElL0?t=19
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”