Why use emulations of classic analogue synths---is it just nostalgia?...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does she cook? I'm more of a pork kinda guy but I do love a good barbecued lamb chop.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

:smack:

Haven’t read the thread and do not know if the OP’s question is still relevant or ever was, but shouldn’t the title rather have been

“Why use emulations of classic analogue synths, when you can buy clones almost as cheaply from Behringer?” :D

Apart from “But I make music on the run on my lappy”, what is not to like?

Throughout 2017 I made music on mine largely in the public library.
What is not to like about having hardware? Dusting, for starters.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:04 pm“Why use emulations of classic analogue synths, when you can buy clones almost as cheaply from Behringer?” :D
Really? Behringer are doing an ARP Odyssey emulation for close to $69? Because that's all I paid for Korg's VSTi. And yesterday I paid $100 for both a Prophet V and Pro One emulation in a single package. Are Behringer going to come close to that? Even their Model D is four times the price of The Legend.
Space. Stands. Power boards. PSUs. Cables. Dust covers. Road cases. Repairs. That's eight, would you like some more?
Last edited by BONES on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

@Bones

I would never go back to hardware with a gun pointed at my head.

I have more now than I've had in decades. I never use it when we are recording, so you won't hear it on anything we release, but I still find it a lot of fun to muck around with, in a way that I don't with softsynths. I also still prefer to use hardware on stage, mostly so ti looks like we might know what we're doing (an illusion that is shattered when the first note plays and I miss my cue by half a beat). I particularly enjoy playing around with little modules - Uno, Micromonsta and Pulse 2, more than I enjoy the Ultranova or Analog Keys. It's a very different experience when it's right in front of you and you don't have to reach across to the controls or anything like that. I usually take the keyboard off my PC and sit the boxes right in front of me and I can still start the sequencer if I want/need to or play the Roli.

sinemotor wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:38 pm Nostalgia is what triggers my creativity. I can't think of making music without carrying a nostalgic feel, I don't know... It's just the nature of nostalgia that is working so well in music. It's ambivalent, it reminds your good memories and it's like half happiness and half sadness. That's pretty beautiful to create music which bring those sentiments at the same time, no?
Wow, 100% this^. I couldn't have said it better.

BONES wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 am
IncarnateX wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:04 pm“Why use emulations of classic analogue synths, when you can buy clones almost as cheaply from Behringer?” :D
Really? Behringer are doing an ARP Odyssey emulation for close to $69? Because that's all I paid for Korg's VSTi. And yesterday I paid $100 for both a Prophet V and Pro One emulation in a single package. Are Behringer going to come close to that? Even their Model D is four times the price of The Legend.
Space. Stands. Power boards. PSUs. Cables. Dust covers. Road cases. Repairs. That's eight, would you like some more?
you forgot patch recall :)
let's add polyphony for an even 10.

as you (royal you, not bones in particular) know, i love my hw, but i can think of many reasons why people would choose itb.
just because hardware is being made cheap now is no reason to switch to hardware. unless the only thing stopping you previously was indeed the cost.

pretty sure running 10 prophet Vs in parallel would be expensive

need a lot of plug sockets too :)

Actually, may as well run a hybrid setup with analog hardware which you can sample and then use those samples to get as many instances as you want. It is simply no longer the case that it is hugely expensive. A Behringer Model D, for example, is below £300. The analog world is nuts right now.
<List your stupid gear here>

vurt wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm
To both of you: All that may be true, but at least the argument for using emulations cannot “because of the sound” unless you argue that the emulations actually sound better than the clones or the orginals. Sure, there may be the usual reasons for going software in contrast to hardware, but it can hardly the the sound that tip the balance when it comes to emulations then. At least that would be an argument not often heard, though I remember some claim it about DIVA.

A lot of people think there are things which cannot be improved on which IME don't have all that much going for them in the original hardware, OTOH. >cough> Roland...

I have exactly the one, an emulation first of the Minimoog (which I have countless hours with for real) and it has additional filters. Which may well be an improvement in terms of an instrument. You can bring in the problems if you're nostalgic, oscillator drift for one, or you can...
I automate it, host automation if not CC which means something. Recall in projects. There is nothing superior about the hardware unless you believe in knobs twirling as a must. Yes, it's integrated while your controller isn't. I'm not a performer today. I've used one live, if that's it, you're done, I get that.

I personally think this <hardware rules ok> bit is like religion for a lot of people.

IncarnateX wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm
To both of you: All that may be true, but at least the argument for using emulations cannot “because of the sound” unless you argue that the emulations actually sound better than the clones or the orginals. Sure, there may be the usual reasons for going software in contrast to hardware, but it can hardly the the sound that tip the balance when it comes to emulations then. At least that would be an argument not often heard, though I remember some claim it about DIVA.
im not arguing anything.
just pointing out, that there could be many reasons why someone would choose software over hardware.
and unless cost was the only prohibitor previously, i don't see why cheaper hardware would make a difference?

Return to “Instruments”