One Synth Challenge #119: Waverazor 2 by Tracktion (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

Because of the inconsistencies with the UI, odd "interactions" and sometimes presets not coming back correctly (for whatever reason), I now freeze (print) each track (as whole tracks!) as I go along - if I make a tweak to the sound, freeze again etc ad finitum! At last this way I *know* I will have a set of tracks to mix later on. Also, if you use any of the "random" features you can't be sure your track will sound the same when mixed down to your final print. Probably worth freezing any tracks where you have a random feature on the synth preset in case you never ever make the same sound again.

I hope the above is within the spirit of the OSC, otherwise I would have to bail out. [I could always claim my cpu is not up to it ;-) ]

dB

doctorbob wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 pm [I could always claim my cpu is not up to it ;-) ]
dB
You can never have enough CPU cores eh :hihi:

… but I hope it's OK to work like this … :party: :party:

I'm probably not the only one - just admitting to it :-)

… and yes, "the number of cores you need" is "the number of cores you have +1" :D :D :D :dog:

dB

doctorbob wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:23 pm … but I hope it's OK to work like this … :party: :party:

I'm probably not the only one - just admitting to it :-)

… and yes, "the number of cores you need" is "the number of cores you have +1" :D :D :D :dog:

dB
I'm sure it's perfectly okay - I remembered this clarification from the rulebook, and it seems to be in line with your current workflow :) :

"Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW (aka after bouncing a track or a stem). "
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

And there's this, which is also consistent with your method:

"for convenience or CPU saving, synth bouncing are allowed but only where the EXACT same result could have been achieved using the original synth"

Edit: And this, of course, which says it very clearly! (I should've read the whole thing myself before commenting, haha):

"Also, If you need more performance / CPU a workaround is to freeze all the tracks"

No doubt, then :lol:
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Thanks Terje, I was really just putting it out there in case anyone else was struggling to get something consistent. For many tracks, it seems fine - but once I *had* to freeze one track, I made the decision to freeze all tracks - "just in cases"! Just one less thing to worry about … WR is hard enough to "tame"!

dB

A quick note to the devs … as I dig deeper into WR I find that getting synth parameters linked to midi controllers can be tortuous. It's OK if you can assign them to various macro controls - but … as an idea …

What about having some notion of a pool of parameters which can be exposed to the DAW host and then be CC automated, or automated via DAW track automaton envelopes. Of course, the best type of pool is one into which you can put the parameters you wish to automate yourself. Let's call it the "automation pool".

Hope this makes some sort of sense. You can of course say it doesn't, I won't be hurt!

Cheers

dB

doctorbob wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:12 pm A quick note to the devs … as I dig deeper into WR I find that getting synth parameters linked to midi controllers can be tortuous. It's OK if you can assign them to various macro controls - but … as an idea …

What about having some notion of a pool of parameters which can be exposed to the DAW host and then be CC automated, or automated via DAW track automaton envelopes. Of course, the best type of pool is one into which you can put the parameters you wish to automate yourself. Let's call it the "automation pool".

Hope this makes some sort of sense. You can of course say it doesn't, I won't be hurt!

Cheers

dB
I'm with Dr Bob on this one. Direct midi assigns to synth parameters would be extremely useful -- on many levels -- DAW automation for one, also physical adjustment with control surfaces. Most current synths have an assign command that let's you map a CC to any parameter control so I think it's a reasonable request and would be highly functional. The process of having to assign it through the macros is an additional time consuming layer of programming that unfortunately, adds to the confusion.

All that being said, now that I'm further into the synth I find that it's making really nice, musical sounds.

doctorbob wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:49 pm Thanks Terje, I was really just putting it out there in case anyone else was struggling to get something consistent. For many tracks, it seems fine - but once I *had* to freeze one track, I made the decision to freeze all tracks - "just in cases"! Just one less thing to worry about … WR is hard enough to "tame"!
Yeah, I was was worried about the same thing, so I kept my DAW and session open all the time while I was making my track, about a week. I didn't freeze my tracks, though, and I haven't reopened it since then - I hope it's still recognizable if I do!

Updated my track a bit: viewtopic.php?p=7283990#p7283990

https://soundcloud.com/deep-theory/phaceplant

Made in Reaper 5.9 with:

9x Waverazor instances
1x RoughRider2
2x Classic Compressor
1x FFT Splitter
1x OTT
5x ReaEQ
5x Voxengo OldSkoolVerb

Master:
1x ReaEQ
1x Limiter6
Last edited by Auplant on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Here's my first pass (and maybe my last!!!) for my track this round. A slightly darker electronic piece with lots of little motifs playing out their thing during the passage of the track. Listen out for the birds, wubs(or are they wrobs?) and yeahs! Not that you can miss them - haha!

Bird movement done by automating the amount of the haas effect on that track.

I hope you enjoy this and appreciate how much work that has gone into taming this synth (just!) for my own selection of sounds required by my piece. DR this time 14!!!

DAW: Reaper

Track Details:

25 * WaveRazor 2
24 * ReaEQ
8 * LFX 1310 - autopanner
7 * OrilRiver
3 * TAL Reverb II
4 * Twin Delay
1 * Quick Haas
4 * TDR Feedback Compressor II
1 * TAL Reverb 4
1 * Bass Professor Mark II

Master:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
Limiter No. 6

Metering
SPAN

DR: 14

Enjoy

db
https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... averazor-2
Last edited by doctorbob on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My submission for the KVR OSC #119 using Waverazor 2.0 editor. All the patches were made from INIT. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Easterly Waves
https://soundcloud.com/exponentedm/easterly-waves

DAW: Reaper 5.965
Waverazor 2: 26 instances
Native DAW FX: ReaComp, ReaEQ, Ping Pong Pan, MDA Pseudo-Stereo
3rd Party FX: TAL Reverb 4, OTT, MVibrato, TAL Dub Delay, TDR Nova
Mastering: Ferric TDS, TDR Nova, TDR Slick EQ, Ozone Imager 8, Limiter No.6, SPAN, Youlean Loudness Meter

I would like to sincerely thank Taron, onTrackP, doctorBob, rghvdberg, Ranoka, lempface, z.prime, TNS, jasinski, Leonard Bowman and other fellow OSCers who have helped me learn a lot through their valuable feedback. :hug:
Last edited by exponent1 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:27 am, edited 9 times in total.

🌌 Submission: A Space Cruiser On A New World 🌌
Part 1: Lonely Cruiser thru the void
Part 2: Something's wrong
Part 3: Ship crashes on yet unseen world
Part 4: Waking up on the emergency station of the life pod
Part 5: Exploring and first sunrise on new world and die? (The space man breathing heavy...)
Part 6: Resurrected as machine mind (New Part - Check out the strings you gonna love them)

Visual Art Work: Based on CC Licence picture taken from https://visualcocaine.org/photo/3470/fa ... -beautiful

The whole track has been produced with MOK #Waverazor only, only accompanied by FX. Synth sounds and Sound Fx have all been created from scratch by me. Produced in #Bitwig

Listen: https://choon.co/tracks/0mw5m9slkju/spa ... new-world/

LowQ Preview: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/spac ... -new-world

Production Facts:
  • Countless Waverazors as Instruments - All but one patch from Init - I'm proud of my drums
  • 3 Waverazors as FX Units - hilarious to route audio in thru a OSC, believe me
  • Many many many ... too many DAW FX, Reverbs, EQs, Delays, Bitwig Tool, Compressors, MultiBand-Container, MidSide-Container
  • Some MeldaProduction free and a tiny amount of OTT
This track has been Certified by "Wobbles Free Music Association" - 100% free of wubwubwub

After my first track using LE version, thought I would have a go with the full 30 day addition, was a bit late to the party ;)
Thanks to Rob and Brian @ tracktion for the speedy support.
Couldn't send too long on this as other commitments have soaked up most of my time.
This seemed to remind me of diadow and seismic, but this just me.

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/eauson-wavraz-kvrosc

20 * waverazor

Airwindows purestgain
Thrill seeker
Pteq X
ReaEq
Exciter
Dragonfly reverb
OTT
Limiter no6
Airwindows Righteous
Rsmet multianalyzer
Minus delay
Voxengo Oldskool verb
DC1a2
Dystroyed
Tila

I've listened back to my original made with LE, sadly it no longer exists as long as I have full edition, its probably a better track
Last edited by Eauson on Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Instruments”