Picture this ! Arturia Pigments is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

I'm quite proud of Arturia, actually -

A little thought experiment: how many software synthesizers does Arturia have in their catalog that aren't essentially interpretations/reinventions of existing synths/electromechanical/mechanical keyboards? They definitely went in a genuinely different direction this time - good for them!

goldenanalog wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 am I'm quite proud of Arturia, actually -

A little thought experiment: how many software synthesizers does Arturia have in their catalog that aren't essentially interpretations/reinventions of existing synths/electromechanical/mechanical keyboards? They definitely went in a genuinely different direction this time - good for them!

not really, its more an interpretation/reinvention of Serum

Their page has some demosongs now.

Actually quite nice sound, at least in some of them. Love the one by Twolegs. The synth may be not exactly groundbreaking but it's competent enough as a wavetable synth and seems to have good workflow. And nice sound.

I wasn't planning to buy any new synth whatsoever this or next year but actually I may go for this one instead of upgrading Dune, need to test them side by side.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

AnX wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:59 am
goldenanalog wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 am I'm quite proud of Arturia, actually -

It certainly reminds me of Serum, AnX - but I'm specifically talking about Pigment as compared to the rest of Arturia's catalog besides Spark - which are 100% rooted in hardware.

I would argue that it took balls for them to step into the wavetable arena with an original - *not* a knockoff of an older hardware wavetable synth made by Waldorf or PPG, which is typically what they would do.

$69 for V6 owner... I think this is another "lowest price ever" :hihi:
Plus, I don't feel the need of it right now. So I am gonna keep waiting :roll:
Trance, Trance Is Life

First i have to say that i like Arturia synths and have owned V-Collection since v4 (currently v6) and single plugins of them before that. The current price of Pigments for owners of V-Collection 6 is around 69 € which is quite nice.

Yesterday after the download was available I had started checking Pigments. I think that it is a very nice synth on it's own but compared to the huge amount of wavetable synths i already own (currently around 17 of them including e.g. DUNE 3, Icarus, Avenger, Nave and PPG Wavemapper 2 where i was a beta tester) i do not think it offers something that i really need.

If it would be my first wavetable synth i might consider buying it, at least for the reduced price when already owning V-Collection 6 like i do now.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Serum wasn't the first wavetable synth. It certainly wasn't the first to display the wavetables in 3D: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight ... MI-IIx.jpg

At this point, all synthesizers are reinterpretations and refinements of existing technology. It's just a sign that sound synthesis as a technology has matured, so there isn't room for radical new features any more (at least if you want the result to be somewhat musical).

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am

Serum wasn't the first wavetable synth. It certainly wasn't the first to display the wavetables in 3D: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight ... MI-IIx.jpg

At this point, all synthesizers are reinterpretations and refinements of existing technology. It's just a sign that sound synthesis as a technology has matured, so there isn't room for radical new features any more (at least if you want the result to be somewhat musical).
^^^THIS ^^^

I would just add that Serum itself is a "reinterpretation" of Kubik, which was a reinterpretation of Microwave, which was a reinterpretation of PPG Wave. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

100% agree, Serum was not new, it was just (arguably) best of class in VST wavetable synths for a while and had some nice animated modulations that made it easier to use than some other VSTs. Exactly could be said for some of the VA synths like Diva...

For me, Pigment is an improvement on Serum (I should hope so as Serum has now been around for quite some time!) and does add enough innovation and interest to merit a place in my collection for $69

...also, Arturia have an outstanding record for improving their synths (normally as free upgrades) and this looks to me like it would be very easy to add other osc types in addition to wavetable and VA....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Actually it seems that truly innovative synths suggesting radically different approach to sound generation have limited success, if any (I can think of Harmor, Iris, Bazille, Aparillo, Rayblaster as some examples, each of these have some user base but I suppose much smaller than something like Serum). This is pretty understandable because not everyone wants to learn synthesis from the ground up. Wavetable synths typically offer wide sonic variety packed into traditional subtractive workflow with such elements as envelopes, filters, effects, LFOs that must be familiar to everyone.

A wavetable synth with some "analoguish" flavor coming from the filters and a supplementary analog-moldelled oscillator soulds like a a very appealing concept to me. At least it's something I can immediately use without having to learn how it works from the ground up, and the results may be different enough from purely digital sounding synths like Serum.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

fmr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:51 am

^^^THIS ^^^

I would just add that Serum itself is a "reinterpretation" of Kubik, which was a reinterpretation of Microwave, which was a reinterpretation of PPG Wave. :shrug:

i didnt say it was the first/best or anything similar, just that it is very similar to arturias effort

Pigmeats
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

recursive one wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:03 am Actually it seems that truly innovative synths suggesting radically different approach to sound generation have limited success, if any (I can think of Harmor, Iris, Bazille, Aparillo, Rayblaster as some examples, each of these have some user base but I suppose much smaller than something like Serum). This is pretty understandable because not everyone wants to learn synthesis from the ground up. Wavetable synths typically offer wide sonic variety packed into traditional subtractive workflow with such elements as envelopes, filters, effects, LFOs that must be familiar to everyone.

A wavetable synth with some "analoguish" flavor coming from the filters and a supplementary analog-moldelled oscillator soulds like a a very appealing concept to me. At least it's something I can immediately use without having to learn how it works from the ground up, and the results may be different enough from purely digital sounding synths like Serum.
Very true- there have been siome galent attempst at different styles of FM synthasis this year as well (Apparillo, Flow Motion etc) and they doint seem to be generating a lot of interest....wavetable, VA and rompler/sample play back (perhaps with a pinch of granular) seem to be the big three for the last decade....and Pigments has 2 of them (Avenger and Falcon etc all 3!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

it actually Looks very much like a "Native Instruments"-Synth :D didnt they buy Arturia? or at least have a very strong colaboration?

Just cant believe that this is a true Arturia Synth

recursive one wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:03 am Actually it seems that truly innovative synths suggesting radically different approach to sound generation have limited success, if any (I can think of Harmor, Iris, Bazille, Aparillo, Rayblaster as some examples, each of these have some user base but I suppose much smaller than something like Serum).
I think you're mostly right but there are other factors here: in the case of Harmor and Iris, which I know well, there are some things that had a great impact on their success that are completely unrelated to sound. Harmor, for example, is Windows only unless you run it inside FLStudio for Mac. I want it, but it's not available as Mac VST.

Iris 2, which I own, is nice, but the interface needs improvement, it feels sluggish sometimes, preset browser could be better, and it has a couple annoying bugs. Many people think of Iris as an abandoned product.

Having a smooth, responsive, no-nonsense interface matters. If we talk about unconventional approaches to sound generation, it matters extra. Not all synth companies get this.

Arturia, for sure, invested a lot in Pigments' interface, and that's great.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

Return to “Instruments”