Pigments vs Serum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Pigments is like serum on steroids
DoomTune.com

Its simply a case of standing on the shoulders of giants. A new instrument should really be better than a similar instrument code 4-5 years ago....especially when you can copy the things that work and redesign the things that didn't work as well.

Serum has been one of my top 5 for a long time and it has had continuous tweaks and development, its a great synth and I have more than had my moneys worth, but if I could only have one of them now it would be Pigments. Luckily I can have both and have no intention of letting go of Serum ;-)

It will be interesting to see what Massive X brings to the party (wasn't it supposed to be out January?)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm
It will be interesting to see what Massive X brings to the party (wasn't it supposed to be out January?)
Nah, February

ubailey wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 pm Pigments is like serum on steroids
If you mean shriveled testicels and baldness, I’ll agree.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

:)

Serum 3 is in beta and supports MPE. That would at least make me demoing it...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:52 pm Serum 3 is in beta and supports MPE. That would at least make me demoing it...
Serum 3?
Current beta is:

1.225a1

But indeed they are working on MPE support.

rsp
sound sculptist

MPE support is in the latest beta, has an MPE mode in the menu and even a mode to map the 4 macros to MPE.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I still need to compare the sound, but Pigments is a blast to program. Really thoughtful UI and super easy to modulate the sound.

Pigments' wavetable interpolation is not as good as Serum's. If you want to compare, try Urs Heckman's example wavetable in the Hive wavetable post.

Edit: Link to relevant post: viewtopic.php?p=7252493#p7252493

yellowmix wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:30 am Pigments' wavetable interpolation is not as good as Serum's. If you want to compare, try Urs Heckman's example wavetable in the Hive wavetable post.
Does Serum interpolate between adjacent waves in the wavetable? AFAIK, it doesn't. It creates morph table of size 256 instead.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

I liked Pigments when demoing but I couldn't find options to generate or modify wavetables, might have missed it I guess. No MPE is also not good imho, but I guess many still don't use it. Also, I like the high amount of similar drawable modulators in other synths such as Avenger or Serum better, but the modulation options in Pigments seem interesting, especially the function and combinate stuff.
But especially the four parallel options for wavetable morphing including wavefolding, PD and so on are really nice (only Avenger has even more options for wavetable morphing/modulation on the oscillator level afaik) - for me, this is the one aspect apart from maybe usability in which Pigments clearly is better than Serum, since Serum has many options in this regard, but not allowing for parallel use.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

yellowmix wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:30 am Pigments' wavetable interpolation is not as good as Serum's. If you want to compare, try Urs Heckman's example wavetable in the Hive wavetable post.

Edit: Link to relevant post: viewtopic.php?p=7252493#p7252493
I have loaded the same wavetables in both and can hear absolutely no difference at all, I would be amazed if anyone can hear any difference.

The difference for me is in the slightly edgier and harder sound of Serum compared to Pigments. Having both is really great!

Having familiarised myself with pigments, there are few things that were a downer.

- the glide function is hardwired to ‘Time’ with no option to change to ‘Rate’ like many synths. Rate makes glides noticeable ONLY when playing wider gaps between notes which sounds more elegant. I almost only use Rate.

- Suprisingly high CPU with the lackluster supersaw pads, it was significantly lower in hive.

Great workflow and incredible SEQ though, it proves really, no synth is perfect.

Return to “Instruments”