VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Chapelle wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:40 pm Image
Is this Xfer Records new product? :lol: :lol:

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 pm All the synths in the world vs KVR
:lol:
A well-behaved signature.

I own Pigment. I no longer own Serum.

Quick question: Is Pigments vegan friendly?

(sorry, I had to...)

I do not own Pigmeat. I do not own Serum.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Lipstick on a pig or pearls before swine?

vurt wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:04 pm you never see me post in these threads.
I see what you did there 8)
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Serum is pretty basic. I wish it had more features, maybe 1-2 more oscilators for better FM options, and maybe some of these Phase modulation/distortion options, as they can provide very different results from traditional FM synthesis. I really like Serum's sound engine, much better than Massive's, but Massive at least has more oscilators (including the independent modulation oscilator), so it's unfortunate that Serum feels like a trade-off in this aspect.

I've always liked FM or PM more than wavetable modulation, so maybe because of that I've liked other synth's palette more than Serum's (SM 2.x you can get warmer analog sound from base waveforms than on serum, yet you can also get quite far with its FM/PM and modulation stuff). My dream synth would have warm base waveforms (like that of Legend/Xils 4 or warmer) with the option to PM/PD these warm waveforms. Pigment's wavetable engine is pretty good sounding (certainly warmer than Serum), I really like the FM/PM/PD/WF and all the different modulation options I can do. I wish the step editor for LFOs was better (Serum and SM 2.x has better step editor). I'm still trialing Pigment's, but I do wonder if SM3 or Zebra 3 will prove to be more enjoyable for me.

Off-topic: if you would compare Pigments to FXpansion's Cypher2, which do you feel is the better bang for the buck? I know they're quite different feature-wise (moreso than vs. Serum), but from a "gut feeling"-perspective, which one provides 'better sounds faster' or whatever impulsive metric you would want to use?

BeeDog wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 pm Off-topic: if you would compare Pigments to FXpansion's Cypher2, which do you feel is the better bang for the buck? I know they're quite different feature-wise (moreso than vs. Serum), but from a "gut feeling"-perspective, which one provides 'better sounds faster' or whatever impulsive metric you would want to use?
I'd put them on the forgiveness scale. I forgive Arturia a lot more than I do FXpansion. Hence, I would opt more for Pigments.

If your forgiveness scale is different, then I would go with that instead.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:52 pm
BeeDog wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 pm Off-topic: if you would compare Pigments to FXpansion's Cypher2, which do you feel is the better bang for the buck? I know they're quite different feature-wise (moreso than vs. Serum), but from a "gut feeling"-perspective, which one provides 'better sounds faster' or whatever impulsive metric you would want to use?
I'd put them on the forgiveness scale. I forgive Arturia a lot more than I do FXpansion. Hence, I would opt more for Pigments.

If your forgiveness scale is different, then I would go with that instead.
Not a bad choice of metric, to be fair! Still pissed at them for discontinuing so many plugins, especially Tremor. Any comments on sound quality/the feel?

Cypher 2 is the clear winner! It supports MPE AND sounds great...
Wait until Roli or FXpansion releases a wavetable or granular synth and you'd sell pigment in an instance again... (unless Arturia recognizes the importance of MPE, but there are no signs whatsoever...)

Serum uses a lot more CPU that Pigment
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SiliconDeath wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:57 pm Serum is pretty basic. I wish it had more features, maybe 1-2 more oscilators for better FM options, and maybe some of these Phase modulation/distortion options, as they can provide very different results from traditional FM synthesis. I really like Serum's sound engine, much better than Massive's, but Massive at least has more oscilators (including the independent modulation oscilator), so it's unfortunate that Serum feels like a trade-off in this aspect.
Massive get 4 oscillators : 3 wavetable + 1 Noise, and one modulation source oscillators.
Serum get 4 oscillators : 2 wavetable + 1 substractive + 1 sample, and all can modulate others.

you can load waveforms into the sample / noise oscillator, any wav containing a "subtains loop" will perform as a waveforms, i use this osc for my FM modulation source, i often use it with standard wav (sine, saw, square..) or with massive wavetable extract, but you can also get funny result using voice or foley samples, looped or not.

I have to say I struggled with this for a while before pulling the trigger on Pigments. Here are my thoughts on it vs Serum (which I will never, ever stop using!)

I like the way Pigments sounds better. To my ear the filters are smoother and have more character, the oscillators are smoother and have more weight. Overall I like the sound a lot! Serum has always been very unapologetically digital and there is nothing inherently bad about that, but I like the slightly more lovable tone that comes from Piggy.

Pigments has some good presets but most are kinda whatever. This forced me to do some really exploration of what the oscs and filters can do and I love that. Lots of great randomization/chaos options that are brilliantly visualized. It feels nice to work with if that makes sense. It reminds me a little of Bitwig's modulators, which actually has me wanting to ditch Live and finally go over to Bitwig (next sale maybe). It's very much a "sculpting" exercise vs "programming". UI/workflow stuff is hard to put into works, but it be like that sometimes.

All praise aside, I'm disappointed by the lack of MPE support. Serum's latest beta has preliminary MPE, so there is that. Frankly I feel like for as similar space the two synths occupy, they are good for different reasons and I will keep both.

Return to “Instruments”