DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If it had full microtonal i would probably get it. Dune 3 seems to be popular for industrial.

FWIW most "microtonal" music sounds terrible and it often amounts to a fetish. But I do like the nuanced differences in Young Well tempered tuning and some of the less than 12 note scales are pretty cool. I have written an hour or so and a lot was the usual crap but i liked a little of it enough that I only buy full microtonal now.

Well if you guys are that serious about MT support go the forums at Synapse.com and make your request there. If enough people respond in kind maybe they will take notice and add it to the feature request list.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 am
surreal wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:44 am I live in South "Africa" and microtuning is moot. .. it does not exist in our music culture
Let me use an analogy: in Europe noone uses triple and compound meters anymore (at least not in popular music), but this doesn't mean that there doesn't exist rich history, associated with such types of music compositions.
I don't know about South Africa, but some aspects of original African music cultures have been documented and researched, so it may be only your ignorance or regional phenomena (I think that only examples for microtonal counterpoint and polyphony are also from this continent - so, only in Africa and Europe were observed such musical developments; all around the world singing was mostly in heterophonic or homophonic textures).
Ignorant I am not..... I can teach you volumes about microtonalism. In my African culture it simply does not exist so if you wanna disprove me oh agrogant micro-king put the proof on the table... contrary to your limited popular belief.. what does exist here and elsewhere in Africa is POLYRYTHMIC triple and quadruple and hexa RHYTHMS!!! Microtonalism and absolute pitch we would use in music therapy to enhance Brain states of patients which in my opinion is also MOOT as I use differant forms of music with a kaleidoscope of frequential material. And all of this works well within the scope of equal temperament scales.

That being said microtuning is a great addition for those that can find use and value in it. For me personally and even with music therapy there is absolutely no intrinsic value it it.

Of course also some tunings are meant to work with different keyboard/midi input layout f.e. look at the Wilsonic app and using them with a standard midi controller/keyboard layout makes no sense indeed.
But in a world where it is easy to connect all kinds of software and midi etc. It ALWAYS is a plus if a synth support .tun and/or .scl files. If not, absolute fine but then Dune 3 could first need other things before adding microtuning.
I also doubt that microtuning comes in any Synapse Audio synths and especially since he is working on new ones. This is fine too and i guess i will buy into his next emulation(s) also without microtuning :)
There are indeed enough good synths which supports it.
Whatever, the die hard Dune 3 supporters (and i still love Dune 3 if someone still do not get it) are a bit in their own "scale" so its useless to discuss things here anyway.
(and most of them are anyway on my ignore list so i just see the quotes).
To just repeat it again and simple....microtuning would be great and would just make a great synth even better but Dune 3 is still a very good synth as is. Time to leave that thread with that.
I just wish Synapse Audio all the best. That´s it.

Dombaeb wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:48 pmI need to share with you that Indian music culture, one of the richest, fulfilled and innovative on all sides music culture in history,
Samey krap from a boring monoculture. No, thanks.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:10 am
anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 amI have yet to hear someone crying from pleasant emotions when listening to midi orchestral music, but it happens all the time in orchestral halls;
And precisely how many performances of "midi (sic) orchestral music" have you attended? And, for the record, I've been to dozens of orchestra performances and I've never seen anyone crying.
I've been to many, many orchestra performances and don't think I've seen it either. That of course doesn't mean it isn't happening. There are hundreds of people at those performances. Personally I'm always very moved by a good performance of Beethoven's 6th or 9th Symphonies.
anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 amI have yet to hear someone
microtuning options can enable completely original (to Western ears) sounding experimental or ethnic music.
Or, as we like to call it, rubbish. Unlistenable rubbish, in fact.
Well, no not we. You maybe. I love listening to non-Western music.
anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 amI have yet to hear someone
People that limit themselves to only 12 equal - have no idea how to use microtuning; or don't use it only because noone else in their environment does it (many Asian and African people would probably preferred NOT to limit their music to 12 equal)
What? This is only half a thought. What were you trying to say? Honestly, if this is the best you have, you're not winning anyone over. Most of only use 4/4 time signature, so what? Yes, there are plenty of other time signatures but 4/4 works so that's what we use. Same with tuning - whatever it is that works by default is all we need to do what we want to do. I for instance, have no interest in African music or any other form of cultural appropriation, so equal temperament works and I use it. Someone on another thread suggested all our music could benefit from using microtuning but when I asked him to provide some examples, I got nothing so, in the absence of any evidence that I shouldn't, I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
"Most of only use 4/4 time signature"? Most of what? If only using 4/4 works for you, then knock yourself out but there is as much music written for other time signatures as 4/4.

God forbid cultural appropriation (how modern of you) but "equal temperament works and I use it"? Assuming of course you're talking about 12-tone apparently it was invented by the Chinese. Are you Chinese? Aww, then you're culturally appropriating something. Good thing for you and Western music that people weren't so closed-minded back in the 1500s.

"Someone on another thread suggested all our music could benefit from using microtuning but when I asked him to provide some examples, I got nothing so"

You've got a really short memory. That someone is the guy you're responding to in your post and it was 2 or 3 pages before this one.
anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:06 amit is actually interesting musically.
What does that even mean? Music isn't meant to be interesting, it is meant to connect with you emotionally.
Really? Says who? Aside from you I've not heard anyone make such a ludicrous claim. If that were the case there wouldn't be a reason for people to study music or build on the work of others.
anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 amLet me use an analogy: in Europe noone uses triple and compound meters anymore (at least not in popular music), but this doesn't mean that there doesn't exist rich history, associated with such types of music compositions.
So what? Who cares about any rich history? Why should it influence what I do today?
So by that stretch of the imagination you shouldn't be using 4/4 and 12-tone equal temperament right? Thats part of the rich history of Western music, why let it influence you today?

BONES wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:10 pm
Dombaeb wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:48 pmI need to share with you that Indian music culture, one of the richest, fulfilled and innovative on all sides music culture in history,
Samey krap from a boring monoculture. No, thanks.
Heh. Indian music is about as monoculture as Western music.

BONES....

This is not a criticism, but merely an observation....

Are you as aggressive and opinionated in "real life" or is it only when you post on these forums ?

A human sledgehammer...

It would be an interesting case study for anybody with more than a passing interest in matters of the mind :wink:
No auto tune...

^probably just forum mentality :shrug:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

It's a very interesting example of postmodern thinking: "Deny all that is not new or not mine".

Moog's filter sucks! :x

Forgive us, Richard, let's continue to discuss Dune 3. Although, hope you noticed that microtuning is a hot question. Better to implement it in the future updates ))

rezoneight wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:18 am"Most of only use 4/4 time signature"? Most of what? If only using 4/4 works for you, then knock yourself out but there is as much music written for other time signatures as 4/4.
Well, some, but nothing you'd want to listen to. I mean waltzes? In 2020?
God forbid cultural appropriation (how modern of you) but "equal temperament works and I use it"? Assuming of course you're talking about 12-tone apparently it was invented by the Chinese.
Happy to take your word for that but it's not me appropriating it, it's whoever makes all our instruments and host software. It's not something I give a shit about, to be honest, hence being happy to just use whatever it is.
You've got a really short memory. That someone is the guy you're responding to in your post and it was 2 or 3 pages before this one.
More likely that you're just eminently forgettable. Either way, still nothing.
Really? Says who? Aside from you I've not heard anyone make such a ludicrous claim.
OK, then, so you choose listen to music that you actually don't like at all, do you? I think you'd be in a vanisinghly small minority if that's true. Who has a really shitty day at work, then goes home and searches YouTube for some music they really hate to listen to, just because it has something interesting about it? Seems unlikely, doesn't it?
If that were the case there wouldn't be a reason for people to study music or build on the work of others.
Of course there would and it's completely obvious - insecurity, a lack of confidence and self-belief. The Sex Pistols changed the face of modern music without having a clue what they were doing.
So by that stretch of the imagination you shouldn't be using 4/4 and 12-tone equal temperament right? Thats part of the rich history of Western music, why let it influence you today?
No, I shouldn't be using those things just because they are part of the "rich history" of music and that's not why I do.
rezoneight wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:19 amHeh. Indian music is about as monoculture as Western music.
Not Indian music, India. Everybody there listens to the same music, watches the same films, dresses the same, etc. I've spent a lot of time there and it is very obvious.
digitalboytn wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:41 amAre you as aggressive and opinionated in "real life" or is it only when you post on these forums ?
A human sledgehammer...
If my parents hadn't been dead for a decade you could ask them how often I called them idiots and they'd tell you "all the time". The thing is, when you call someone an idiot to their face, they see it in context whereas on line, people seem to throw context out the window and see everything as an absolute.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dombaeb wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 am Forgive us, Richard, let's continue to discuss Dune 3. Although, hope you noticed that microtuning is a hot question. Better to implement it in the future updates ))
Just a general thing, I have no opinion about microtuning: There are about 4 people who argued (pretty strongly and illiberal, to be honest) for the implementation of microtuning. It's not really a "hot question". It's a handful of people on the internet.

I'd rather send some feature requests to Synapse Audio, if I wanted that feature. Much more worth than 4 people posting on a forum thread the devs might not even read. At least not every page. This one has 160 pages now.

Return to “Instruments”