DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Teksonik wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 pm
rlared wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:10 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:27 pm Name a complex synth with a more "friendly GUI". If you think Dune 3 is "unfriendly" you'd better steer well clear of VPS Avenger. :P
That's funny, I actually think Avenger has the best UI out of any synth I have used. It has a lot of "quality of life" features to make it easier and more intuitive to use.
I don't have any problem at all with Avenger's GUI or workflow. I've happily done quite a few patches for it so far. My point was that anyone who finds Dune 3 workflow too difficult would probably find Avenger even more so due to the added complexity (more Arp/Seqs. Drum Part etc).
Biscotto wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:06 pm Use colors for different layers...
Or just look at the button that is lit up to see what layer (voice) you're on. :dog:

D3 112919-1.png
You're right! Color the Buttons! :hihi:
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

EnGee wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm I like Avenger's approach for layers. You add as needed. So, you can tell immediately if this preset is simple or complex.
You can easily do that with Dune. It's called AMT (Amount). Guess how many Layers in use ? :wink:

D 113019-2.png
Need more ? Just add them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Biscotto wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:40 pm You're right! Color the Buttons! :hihi:
It's possible. The Buttons are available for edit in the skin files. Change them to any color you want. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Can't one save and load layer presets? Might be a useful feature...

Since it is not multi-timbral anyway, I think 3 layers would be enough, but each one complete with its own filter (or at least filter routing), envelopes etc. Currently the number of layers implies a flexibility that is not really there as the layers share a lot.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 pm
Biscotto wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:40 pm You're right! Color the Buttons! :hihi:
It's possible. The Buttons are available for edit in the skin files. Change them to any color you want. :wink:
That was a joke but you gave me a good tip (See if I can alter controllers by color by layer...?)
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Teksonik wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:42 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm I like Avenger's approach for layers. You add as needed. So, you can tell immediately if this preset is simple or complex.
You can easily do that with Dune. It's called AMT (Amount). Guess how many Layers in use ? :wink:

D 113019-2.png

Need more ? Just add them.
Ok thanks. This is helpful :) Ok, I'm getting it now I think!

First I see the amount of voices, then going to the numbers to see which voice does what. The modulation matrix is global, also the ARPs and effects. Hmmmm, No! the Arps can be enabled/disabled per voice so I guess the effects is the same as well. Ok! "All" seems to override the others, so this is the global layer.

Ok, I can't say it is intuitive! But it is "functional". Maybe I can call it "Old fashion" workflow. Ok, it is better to go and make several multi layer patches and explore all the options! Let's get our hands dirty with this clean synth :hihi:

mladi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm
ScottZ wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 am
mrsugmad wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 am
ScottZ wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:09 am when does the sale end today only?
Go to their site..... :bang:
I have been to the site. In the shop but all I see is Black Friday sale not any dates which is why i asked if it's friday only. Other companies will sometimes go to Dec. 3rd, or list the dates.
I can see in the shop: "Black Friday Sale, expires Cyber Monday!"
oh that wasn't there before anyway bought :D

AnX wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:09 amim sure the last version was 64bit.... but you didn't like that as it wasn't skinable iirc
It was a long time ago, I'd be surprised if there was a 64 bit version. I didn't like it mostly because the effects section made the GUI way too big and added nothing to the basic sound. That wouldn't bug me as much now but it was a deal-breaker back then.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

e-crooner wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:57 pm Can't one save and load layer presets? Might be a useful feature...

Since it is not multi-timbral anyway, I think 3 layers would be enough, but each one complete with its own filter (or at least filter routing), envelopes etc. Currently the number of layers implies a flexibility that is not really there as the layers share a lot.

osc, filters and envs are separate for each layer, they are not shared in any way

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:47 am
AnX wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:09 amim sure the last version was 64bit.... but you didn't like that as it wasn't skinable iirc
It was a long time ago, I'd be surprised if there was a 64 bit version. I didn't like it mostly because the effects section made the GUI way too big and added nothing to the basic sound. That wouldn't bug me as much now but it was a deal-breaker back then.
here ya go

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/synapse_a ... _850_11088

Fat lot of help that is!!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

eh? just saying it's 64bit...if you want the installer ask Rich, or I can send it to you

AnX wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:12 am
e-crooner wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:57 pm Can't one save and load layer presets? Might be a useful feature...

osc, filters and envs are separate for each layer, they are not shared in any way
Ah ok, I had not selected a single layer when I changed things, so I had not noticed. So, basically the entire GUI except for the upper right quadrant is per layer. So it would definitely make sense to use different colors for the different layers. When it all looks the same one might get lost regarding what is on which layer. Sylenth1 only has two layers, but they have different colors.

I bought the upgrade. Im not back yet. Is dune 3 fully compatible to dune 2 and does it replace dune 2? Thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:47 pm I bought the upgrade. Im not back yet. Is dune 3 fully compatible to dune 2 and does it replace dune 2? Thx
All Dune 2 presets run inside Dune 3.
And they are independent installs. Dune 3 will not overwrite Dune 2.

Return to “Instruments”