DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Good idea! Thanks! Let me try it :)

Oh wow! I can go beyond that I imagined with FM modulations (in general). I wish we have Dune FM in the future! Maybe emaulation of DX1 :hyper: I can only dream 8)

Anyway back to reality and what I have now :D I wish I could control Carla/Dune 3 with my knobs! Unfortunately it only permits me to control with mod wheel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EnGee wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:22 am Oh wow! I can go beyond that I imagined with FM modulations (in general). I wish we have Dune FM in the future! Maybe emaulation of DX1 :hyper: I can only dream 8)
Would be cool for sure, I'd certainly love it! Don't know how many people are into vintage-FM stuff though. It's a bitch to create good patches using FM, and few sound designers today seem to have experience with it :wink:

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:33 pm
EnGee wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:22 am Oh wow! I can go beyond that I imagined with FM modulations (in general). I wish we have Dune FM in the future! Maybe emaulation of DX1 :hyper: I can only dream 8)
Would be cool for sure, I'd certainly love it! Don't know how many people are into vintage-FM stuff though. It's a bitch to create good patches using FM, and few sound designers today seem to have experience with it :wink:

Richard
I for one would love it. FM has an unfair bad wrap for being complicated. It all started when the DX synths (yeah I know thats phase modulation) came out with a manual written by Yamaha engineers for engineers. Not for the general public. FM synthesis is actually pretty straight forward when you have someone who can explain it well. Its like clouds part and the sun comes out (and the light bulb goes on). Please, please please add it to dune3 with 4-7 operators :)

I'm not sure if phase modulation synthesis, with 4 or 7 op, suits well to Dune3 concept:
FM synthesis, like the Dx serie, need one envelope per operators to be really useful...
My 2 cents....
Best
YY

I think he was referring to a DX1 emu

Yes I did. I thought it's just a two DX7 put together, but it's more than that. There is a long video about it, although mostly for marketing purposes.

Anyway, it is amazing what complexity can be achieved with such synthesis. But as Richard said, it's not easy to design sounds for it so it might not succeed like the wavetable synthesis.

@AnX : you re right!
@Engee : sorry, I misunderstood
Best
YY

^Wait, did we have it in Dune 2? As I asked for it :hyper:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Whywhy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 pm @Engee : sorry, I misunderstood
Not entirely ;) as I did also suggested 4 operators instead of 3 for D3 even before it was released.

Anyway, still the possibilities are great with just 3 operators with the help of the modulation matrix as mentioned before :)

EnGee wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 pm
Not entirely ;) as I did also suggested 4 operators instead of 3 for D3 even before it was released.

Anyway, still the possibilities are great with just 3 operators with the help of the modulation matrix as mentioned before :)
We thought about 4 operators, the main issue is UI space, increased sound design complexity and the CPU usage when using all 32 oscillators per block (which would amount to 128 operators that must be rendered for 4-op-FM just for a single voice, not yet factoring in multiple layers or using both oscillator blocks).

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 pm

We thought about 4 operators, the main issue is UI space, increased sound design complexity and the CPU usage when using all 32 oscillators per block (which would amount to 128 operators that must be rendered for 4-op-FM just for a single voice, not yet factoring in multiple layers or using both oscillator blocks).

Richard
Thank you Richard for considering this suggestion :) Maybe then it is better to design a new synth with just FM (6 or 8 operators with limited algorithms will do). Something easy to use but powerful.

There are 3 reasons why I think such a synth would be great:
1. Great successor to NI FM8 (NI won't do it).
2. SA effects are great if added to such synth
3. Coding and efficiency are second to none IMO.

The only problem is (as you said) that it wouldn't be easy to program sounds unless it can import DX7 sounds, so sound designers can import and enhance them with arpeggio and effects.

EnGee wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Richard
Thank you Richard for considering this suggestion :) Maybe then it is better to design a new synth with just FM (6 or 8 operators with limited algorithms will do). Something easy to use but powerful.

There are 3 reasons why I think such a synth would be great:
1. Great successor to NI FM8 (NI won't do it).
2. SA effects are great if added to such synth
3. Coding and efficiency are second to none IMO.

The only problem is (as you said) that it wouldn't be easy to program sounds unless it can import DX7 sounds, so sound designers can import and enhance them with arpeggio and effects.
and there are reasons such synth wouldnt be great..

1. Need to know if there is an interest in such synth that would bring profits :)
2. FM 8 synth sounds just as good as digital can sound :)
3. There is Bazille, which actually brought something new and interesting to work with territory :)

You can count me out :-)

There's no way FM8 is as good as it gets. The FM can use more oversampling and the filters and effects are outdated.

omiroad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm There's no way FM8 is as good as it gets. The FM can use more oversampling and the filters and effects are outdated.
Lets say it can, Bazille i think already does. How many people would be interested ? :) im not against it, i dont care, but lets be realistic ,wishes and dreams are just that, for developer its buisiness and only Synapse can now how much of interest there is in FM synths (doing researches i guess?) :)

Bazille imo is a good example as it makes this synth fun to program, but it doesnt program like any other FM synth, its more like weird subtractive modular synth :)

Return to “Instruments”