DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Richard_Synapse wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:05 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:59 am Besides that,i love Dune and its my most used vst despite the browser. But im not defending the decision to make such primitive browser when the synth has so many patches. Im sure Xfer has thought about that and also improved the browser because of reasons mentioned before. You remember that Serum had also same type of browser?
Does Serum have native NKS support though? That is our main reason (plus the amount of work required) to hesitate with a built-in browser.

In our opinion users who love massive preset libraries with tagging, favorites etc should give NKS a try. It is far superior to any built-in solution, since it works across all plugins. And even with a single plugin chances are that the NKS browser beats most or all native browsers - even more so if combined with a hardware controller, of course. And then there's the extra goodies like the Light Guide which is supported in DUNE 3 too :)

Richard
No Serum does not have NKS, but it doesnt need one, because it does the same as NKS browser. Its better out of the box then Dune 3's because i can tag my own made favorites and other various presets :)

With Dune 3 NKS is still not a solution because:
1. You have to use a wrapper (komplete kontrol)
2. You have to make NKS presets
3. 3rd party banks have to have NKS format presets.

And i dont even ask for full fledged browser, just simple 1 tier like Nexus 2 which is already a decade old and does better job handling presets then Dune 3, just because you can easely favorite.

Richard_Synapse wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 pm
EnGee wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 pm Hey Richard, while you are here! Do you think any support for Linux VST is possible in the future?
It might be possible with our new UI framework (coming with the next update of Dune 3), also the Intel tools we use should work under Linux. But I'm not sure what kind of obstacles there might be and if it is likely to make a port in reasonable time. At this point we do not have a single Linux machine nor do we know anyone who would test a plugin under Linux.

Richard
I understand. But it might be easier than you think if you test it with just one distribution (like Bitwig) and without support.

I'm happy using Ubuntu and rare logging in Windows now. But I miss Dune 2 and the Legend in my setup. It would be a no brainer to upgrade to Dune 3 of course.

But is nks still a thing with NI recent withdraw from the hardware sector?

Just want to say: :P
Dune 3 with Carla in Bitwig.jpeg
I also could run Dune 2 and the Legend :D I'm upgrading next week though ;)

Is it time to say Goodbye Windows? I'm nearly there I guess!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bathrobe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:33 pm But is nks still a thing with NI recent withdraw from the hardware sector?
Can you provide a link to this info? Looking at the Thomann sales ranks Maschine is still the #1 sold controller and the keyboards do very well too, so I wonder why they would give up on hardware.

Whatever they do next, it is possible that NKS stalls, but it is also possible it will get much better. We'll see :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/native-in ... ness-46170
They are firing 20% of their employees from Berlin HQ.
They are not giving up on hardware ...

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:14 pm No Serum does not have NKS, but it doesnt need one, because it does the same as NKS browser. Its better out of the box then Dune 3's because i can tag my own made favorites and other various presets :)

With Dune 3 NKS is still not a solution because:
1. You have to use a wrapper (komplete kontrol)
2. You have to make NKS presets
3. 3rd party banks have to have NKS format presets.

And i dont even ask for full fledged browser, just simple 1 tier like Nexus 2 which is already a decade old and does better job handling presets then Dune 3, just because you can easely favorite.
True, 3rd party banks are an issue, it is quite difficult to make fully NKS-compatible presets. I guess it would require using our template, then loading, tagging and resaving each patch one by one in NKS format, which would be quite some work (we do this largely automated). The Komplete wrapper may be inconvenient but has advantages...eg. that you can browse the global preset library and audition all patches without having to actually open any plugin.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Is it normal for Dune 3 to cause crackles in Cubase if multi-threads or multi-cores is enabled?

I think it's Cubase's fault as enabling the multi in D3 in Bitwig and Maschine has no problem at all. Very smooth.

I sincerely hope the final solution is not NKS, for some of the reasons why Elektronisch has mentioned.
I am personally not a fan of the nks system and for a few, they may see the irony in this.
rsp
sound sculptist

EnGee wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 pm Is it normal for Dune 3 to cause crackles in Cubase if multi-threads or multi-cores is enabled?

I think it's Cubase's fault as enabling the multi in D3 in Bitwig and Maschine has no problem at all. Very smooth.
That is what happens but there's no indication that this is the fault of Cubase and not Dune.

omiroad wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:41 pm
EnGee wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 pm Is it normal for Dune 3 to cause crackles in Cubase if multi-threads or multi-cores is enabled?

That is what happens but there's no indication that this is the fault of Cubase and not Dune.
It is really puzzling! Diva (for example) has no problem when the multi cores enabled. Maybe it is not the same thing all these: multi-cores in Diva, multi-threads in Dune and multi processing in Cubase?

Speaking of my favorite synth... I think D3 really needs some waveshaping options for the wavetables. Something like sync, fold, etc.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 pm Speaking of my favorite synth... I think D3 really needs some waveshaping options for the wavetables. Something like sync, fold, etc.
I don't think "waveshaping" is the right word unless you mean distorting a signal...

You can use the FM. This is what it's for!

Though I wish there are 4 operators, this would be a killer synth! Anyway, glad that I finally upgraded to it. I have killer synths now from SA, u-he and Sugar Bytes (not counting the Bitwig!) But still it would be great to see what Dune 3 can do with 4 operators FM :o

EnGee wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 am You can use the FM. This is what it's for!

Though I wish there are 4 operators, this would be a killer synth! Anyway, glad that I finally upgraded to it. I have killer synths now from SA, u-he and Sugar Bytes (not counting the Bitwig!) But still it would be great to see what Dune 3 can do with 4 operators FM :o
You can always add audio rate modulation from another osc to control the FM osc pitch or any of the FM parameters. This way you can have your 4th operator.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”