DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

no dingoes allowed

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 am Of course it's more convenient - right-click where you are and choose an option, as opposed to dragging something across your screen. I hate Drag 'n' Drop, it's very inelegant.
Sure, I just prefer drag n drop since it's way faster for me. To each his own.

AnX wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 amnope, and im happy with the browser too :D
Except there isn't anything approaching a browser in DUNE, just a standard drop-down menu like we had 20 years ago. It is the no. 1 biggest reason I never think to use DUNE for anything. If you compare it to Hive, for example, I have all the presets I think I might find useful tagged by type - red for bass, orange for leads, green for pads, etc.. When I want something, I don't have to start from scratch every time, I can choose a preset to use as a starting point from the half-a-dozen I've tagged. It's virtually instant access to what I want, instead of 10 minutes of diving through menus, trying to find something that might be usable, and it was effortless to set up. I'm sure I could set something up in DUNE that was approaching the same level of usefulness but why would I if there is something else I can load up that's ready to go without that effort?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:52 am
AnX wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 amnope, and im happy with the browser too :D
Except there isn't anything approaching a browser in DUNE, just a standard drop-down menu like we had 20 years ago. It is the no. 1 biggest reason I never think to use DUNE for anything. If you compare it to Hive, for example, I have all the presets I think I might find useful tagged by type - red for bass, orange for leads, green for pads, etc.. When I want something, I don't have to start from scratch every time, I can choose a preset to use as a starting point from the half-a-dozen I've tagged. It's virtually instant access to what I want, instead of 10 minutes of diving through menus, trying to find something that might be usable, and it was effortless to set up. I'm sure I could set something up in DUNE that was approaching the same level of usefulness but why would I if there is something else I can load up that's ready to go without that effort?
well, i just delete all factory sounds and make my own, so takes no time at all to find any sound

its sometimes even quicker to start from scratch

i find the convoluted browsers and factory banks a total waste of time. Some ppl like that bloat, im sure it helps sell synths to sheeple, but not me.

I spent weeks tagging all the presets & expansions for Dune 2 in VIP, but now that's my favourite workflow since the presets are awesome.

However, I'm not sure it's possible to upgrade VIP library in order to handle Dune 3 and save all the presets :scared: I will have to pass it if it isn't.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

What's VIP? I've been thinking about seeing if DUNE is any more useful running inside Komplete Kontrol but I haven't got around to it yet.
AnX wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:38 amwell, i just delete all factory sounds and make my own, so takes no time at all to find any sound
No, just hours to actually make one. And then you have the issue of you being the only one with any input so you'll only ever do the kinds of sounds that you always do, with nothing to push you into new territory. Kind of boring, don't you think?
its sometimes even quicker to start from scratch
With DUNE it is always quicker to start from scratch but that's hardly ever true with most of its competitors.
i find the convoluted browsers and factory banks a total waste of time.
I don't think I've ever come across a "convoluted" browser. Those I use all make perfect sense from the outset. It's kind of the point of 'em.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:09 am What's VIP?
It's the M-Audio library, player and controller software: https://m-audio.com/kb/article/1783

I hate it. It never worked here. I neither couldn't map my keyboard properly, nor did it run very stable (crashed, and the operation and layout was so weird that i couldn't even do much in it). Komplete Kontrol is about a 100 times more straight forward IMO.

BONES wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:09 am
I don't think I've ever come across a "convoluted" browser. Those I use all make perfect sense from the outset. It's kind of the point of 'em.
the point of them is too enable the user to tag the ones they like after going through hundreds if not thousands of factory sounds, leaving the majority sitting idle on your disk

i prefer a blank sheet, and im very good at organising, i dont need help there thanks

Any future plan to port it to Linux (VST 2 or 3) like Hive and other u-he synths?

Pretty simple solution. Then Synapse can spend their time programming new features that actually expand or enhance the range of sounds Dune 3 can make instead of wasting time on pointless fluff like a Browser.

Dune 3 082819-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have to sadly agree with......

The Preset Browser on Synapse stuff is probably the #1 reason why I don't use them more often.
rsp
sound sculptist

I can't imagine not using a High Quality sounding synth like Dune 3 simply because it doesn't have colored buttons or a pretty browser.

Certainly development time should be spent on features that impact the sound rather than making it a little easier to use presets.

But you never know perhaps Synapse will add a pretty browser to Dune 3 some day and that would be a tragic waste of time in my opinion. I'd much rather they work on another high quality synth than tacking things on to D3 that do nothing to expand the range of sounds it can make.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 pm I can't imagine not using a High Quality sounding synth like Dune 3 simply because it doesn't have colored buttons or a pretty browser.

Certainly development time should be spent on features that impact the sound rather than making it a little easier to use presets.

But you never know perhaps Synapse will add a pretty browser to Dune 3 some day and that would be a tragic waste of time in my opinion. I'd much rather they work on another high quality synth than tacking things on to D3 that do nothing to expand the range of sounds it can make.
You don't need it =/= nobody needs it.

As little as I care about preset browsers myself, I think posts like that are absolutely ridiculous.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 pm I can't imagine not using a High Quality sounding synth like Dune 3 simply because it doesn't have colored buttons or a pretty browser.

As little as I care about preset browsers myself, I think posts like that are absolutely ridiculous.
This. Everything I do in the studio studio takes time, so the quicker the synth is to use, the more music I can make in my miserable lifetime. Great sound potential is meaningless if the track is never finished.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

recursive one wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm

You spoilered the upcoming Spire preset browser recently (which looks great). I rather had it that they spend their time on more useful features (for me), but... OK, as you said, i'm not everyone, and, if people really need such a sophisticated preset browser nowadays (i also get it that quantity nowadays > quality, and people need a way to browse through those gazillions of presets), then, so be it. Still, it leaves at least a bit of a taste in my mouth, as i wonder about people's priorities. At the very least, i'd think people should care about other stuff than a rating system for presets... Should, could, would. And stuff. ;)

Return to “Instruments”