DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Muziksculp
KVRAF
1514 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:23 am

DUNE 3 has been an outstanding VST to use. Amazing sound, wonderful filters, and lots of control, and modulation options. It's my go to Synth these days. :tu: :phones:

Danilo Villanova
KVRist
199 posts since 30 Apr, 2018

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 am

carrieres wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:22 am
Danilo Villanova wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:19 am
So yeah, Dune totally ruined soft synths for me. If you have any recommendations on synths that sound as good as Dune I'll be happy to hear them.
the legend from synapse audio :D
Yeah, I know lol. I have the demo installed and it's absolutely amazing, it can get very fat and dirty. I'll definitely buy it in the future but I'm trying to get some "modern" synths before I get analog emulations. The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc. are all great but they lack the modulation and modern features of modern synths which I'm interested in exploring.

mrsugmad
KVRist
80 posts since 30 Nov, 2007

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 pm

Danilo Villanova wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 am
carrieres wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:22 am
Danilo Villanova wrote:
So yeah, Dune totally ruined soft synths for me. If you have any recommendations on synths that sound as good as Dune I'll be happy to hear them.
the legend from synapse audio :D
Yeah, I know lol. I have the demo installed and it's absolutely amazing, it can get very fat and dirty. I'll definitely buy it in the future but I'm trying to get some "modern" synths before I get analog emulations. The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc. are all great but they lack the modulation and modern features of modern synths which I'm interested in exploring.
Yes Danilo I like it too. Just waiting for a sale :hyper:

generaldiomedes
KVRian
675 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Danilo Villanova wrote:
The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc. are all great but they lack the modulation and modern features of modern synths which I'm interested in exploring.
Lots of ways to solve the modulation issue - Bitwig, Ableton with Max, Bidule, MUX.

pdxindy
KVRAF
16019 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 pm

generaldiomedes wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:02 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote:
The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc. are all great but they lack the modulation and modern features of modern synths which I'm interested in exploring.
Lots of ways to solve the modulation issue - Bitwig, Ableton with Max, Bidule, MUX.
Plus the audio rate modulation in RePro is outstanding! It is its own thing to explore

Danilo Villanova
KVRist

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm

generaldiomedes wrote:
Danilo Villanova wrote:
Yeah, but I'm in Studio One. Besides, I'm new to synthesis and I'm looking to create complex evolving patches using just the synth parameters as a sort of exercise. Dune works great for that but I'm looking to get a second one to have some variety. I'm currently demoing Serum, Pigments and Audiaire Zone. None of them come close to the Dune sound in my opinion but they do have some nice features. I'll probably get a couple through the Splice rent to own thingy.

Stan Navi
KVRist
292 posts since 27 Nov, 2014

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Danilo Villanova wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm
generaldiomedes wrote:
Danilo Villanova wrote:
Yeah, but I'm in Studio One. Besides, I'm new to synthesis and I'm looking to create complex evolving patches using just the synth parameters as a sort of exercise. Dune works great for that but I'm looking to get a second one to have some variety. I'm currently demoing Serum, Pigments and Audiaire Zone. None of them come close to the Dune sound in my opinion but they do have some nice features. I'll probably get a couple through the Splice rent to own thingy.
Check VPS Avenger! It also great option with many possibilities.

Danilo Villanova
KVRist

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Stan Navi wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:47 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm
generaldiomedes wrote:
Danilo Villanova wrote:
Check VPS Avenger! It also great option with many possibilities.
Will do, thanks.

nachenko
KVRist
269 posts since 13 Mar, 2018

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:36 am

Danilo Villanova wrote:
I bought Dune 3 after downloading the demos of all the famous synths. I just couldn't believe the sound quality, I was absolutely floored.

...I think most of the EDM kids are semi deaf and can't really recognize quality when they hear it. Honorable exception is Diva and a few other analog emulations.
I understand what you say, but this is a bit unfair. People evaluate quality comparing to what they know, and most people don't have access to high end stuff long enough to train their ears.

But for that very reason, you have to take any online opinion quite carefully.

Dune 3 was the first soft synth that made me say "I don't miss my hardware anymore". It took the most part of a year demoing pretty much everything. There are plenty of "good" synths out there, but if you're aiming for the absolute best, the list becomes short fast.

I've come to the point of even considering getting hardware again.

I'm curious about other emulations you tried, specially if you demoed some Roland Cloud stuff.
Half music, half random ramblings by a MAN FROM SPACE
https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

chk071
KVRAF
21554 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 am

Danilo Villanova wrote:
I've spent my life dialing guitar and bass amplifiers chasing the perfect tone and I'm very picky about sound quality. Unlike almost all of the other synths, Dune sounds like a musical instrument. Honestly, I've found most of them to be anywhere from weak to appalling. I was surprised about how much I disliked most of the big players, the ones that top the lists on famous websites. So many comments in the forums about how good some of them sound! I think most of the EDM kids are semi deaf and can't really recognize quality when they hear it.
Nonsense.

Danilo Villanova
KVRist

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 am
Danilo Villanova wrote:
I've spent my life dialing guitar and bass amplifiers chasing the perfect tone and I'm very picky about sound quality. Unlike almost all of the other synths, Dune sounds like a musical instrument. Honestly, I've found most of them to be anywhere from weak to appalling. I was surprised about how much I disliked most of the big players, the ones that top the lists on famous websites. So many comments in the forums about how good some of them sound! I think most of the EDM kids are semi deaf and can't really recognize quality when they hear it.
Nonsense.
Whatever you say, sport.

wagtunes
KVRAF
16910 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:27 am

And the idiots are out in full force today.

Teksonik
KVRAF
12662 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:43 am

On the subject of Audio Rate Modulation....from the Dune 3 user guide:

Modulation rate
The modulation rate determines how frequently the modulation matrix is evaluated.
• The Normal rate is almost always sufficient, and the best choice for the vast majority of sounds.
• The (Very) Fast rate is useful when you use rapid LFO modulations (>100 Hz), or when you
use MSEGs with very fast envelopes.
Audio Rate mode processes the entire synth engine sample by sample. This allows to e.g. use
oscillators as modulation sources and modulate any (!) sound parameter with them accurately
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fisherKing
KVRAF
1936 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 am

just bought it, and will check it out more extensively this afternoon. like the overall sound quality... just needs some more skins...
always one plugin short of perfection...

Teksonik
KVRAF
12662 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:09 am

Satyatunes has a very nice skin for Dune 3 and I wouldn't surprised if he does more in the future. :tu:

http://www.satyatunes.com/web/index.php
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”