DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:56 pm ...and the imaginary vents. imaginary vents drive me cray cray. strangely i like the feux wood.
Trying the demo. I find pretty strange to be forced to use a tiny window in order to edit modulations/sequencing like I was using a real piece of (limited) hardware while it's software so it would be easy to open a big comfortable window large as the entire screen (eg. the wavetables editor)... and yeah, fake wood, fake vents, all wasted space... also +1 for layer activity lights (just make the layer buttons flash when the layer emits sound)

I think the central space would be much more useful if used to display OSC2, for example.

Also no search in the presets browser, no online user share library (I use synthmaster and love that feature), no favorites...

I would move out of the menu the undo/redo, placing them as buttons somewhere in the screen...

But the sound is indeed very good...

The latest update crashes every time I move one of the oscillator volume sliders. This is in Bitwig 2.5 beta 4 (Mojave).

RichN wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:30 pm The latest update crashes every time I move one of the oscillator volume sliders. This is in Bitwig 2.5 beta 4 (Mojave).

mojave?

macOS Mojave

HcDoom wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:36 pm Hopefully Richard will change or add something to GUI to make it easier to work with layers...wouldnt hurt to have a mixer for layers either, its pretty bad to balance multiple layers volume wise.
like this?

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopi ... 1d#p117238

Well, you can do that at the oscillator level and I suspect synapse knows it. If that doesn't work for you add another instance in your DAW. All of this is about the preset makers at this point.

4damind wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:19 amI think we speak about multi-layer editing which is not the easiest thing with Dune. The programming of one layer is IMO not very complicated, I miss only a better modulation system (this can be done a lot better with a visual feedback on the modulation target).
Yeah, single layers are easy, which is why 90% of the time I make DUNE patches from scratch, not from presets. I disagree about visual feedback for modulation - if the modulation is doing anything, you will be able to hear it, therefore you shouldn't also need to see it working. To me that stuff is mostly just a gimmick, I don't find it really helps me get where I want to go any more quickly. But it is cool and everyone else does it, so I won't disagree that it would be a good thing to have.
I'm in the same boat and have not upgraded yet to Dune 3. I've played with the demo and have not found something I really miss with Dune 2. It feels more like a minor 2.6 upgrade...
I don't think that's necessarily the case. There is plenty of stuff in there, it's just about whether or not that stuff interests you. The problem is that most of the beta testers think of themselves as sound designers, so the more complicated it gets, the more they like it. Consequently development tends to go that way, rather than making it more user-friendly for people with better things to do with their time.
AnX wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 pmin the Unison section, right under the Detune knob is a window labelled AMT this tells you how many layers are being used unless certain layers are soloed, it will be in numerical order
What order? Brass first, then strings, followed by synth bass, then plucks? You can put anything on any layer, knowing there are five to deal with doesn't help, especially if three of them aren't actually contributing anything, which happens with some presets. What I want to know is what layer is contributing which part of the sound. Soloing will do that but sometimes it can be a long process. e.g. If you re dealing with something subtle in a long, evolving pad sound and there are 5 or 6 layers to listen to.
pandar1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:22 pmI find pretty strange to be forced to use a tiny window in order to edit modulations/sequencing like I was using a real piece of (limited) hardware while it's software so it would be easy to open a big comfortable window large as the entire screen (eg. the wavetables editor)... and yeah, fake wood, fake vents, all wasted space... also +1 for layer activity lights (just make the layer buttons flash when the layer emits sound)
I find this particularly annoying when the rest of the GUI is so large and spread out. It also does my head in that the ARPs are shoved into that tiny screen when they could just as easily be placed where the LFO, FX and MSEG windows are at the bottom of the GUI.
Also no search in the presets browser, no online user share library (I use synthmaster and love that feature), no favorites...
Yes, that stuff does feel primitive and makes my work harder than it needs to be. Very frustrating and probably the biggest contributor to me not using DUNE as much as I'd like to.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:48 pm
AnX wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 pmin the Unison section, right under the Detune knob is a window labelled AMT this tells you how many layers are being used unless certain layers are soloed, it will be in numerical order
What order? Brass first, then strings, followed by synth bass, then plucks? You can put anything on any layer, knowing there are five to deal with doesn't help, especially if three of them aren't actually contributing anything, which happens with some presets. What I want to know is what layer is contributing which part of the sound. Soloing will do that but sometimes it can be a long process. e.g. If you re dealing with something subtle in a long, evolving pad sound and there are 5 or 6 layers to listen to.
ok, let me simplify it even more

if amount is set to 4, voices/layers 1-4 are playing, 5-8 are not

(assuming no voices/layers are soloed)

im not saying its great, i was simply replying to a question by someone else

I agree with Bones that layers mixer is needed. See LuSH-101 - there are solo and mute buttons for each layer, 8-layer mixer (with extras) and keyboard split for layers that can overlap.

In fact clumsy Dune interface make me often limit myself to one layer, diving into multiple layers only if they're predifined in a preset.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Has anyone used Dune 3 with a Komplete Kontrol controller using the NKS protocol?

I'm just wondering how well the parameter mapping works and if it's worth buying one of the Komplete Kontrol keyboards mostly for the automapped plugin.

It's not really possible to map all of it well to other keyboards due to all the different layers and knobs.

Other than the auto mapping of the Komplete Kontrol, the light guide for scales are useful and Moss has a good mapping for Bitwig, but the Dune 3 mapping is the most interesting feature of the keyboards.

Also I have to agree. I find myself accidentally modifying all the layers quite often. Luckily there is an undo function now (which I wish was quicker to access).

If I have an NFR copy of Dune 2 because I purchased it 2nd hand, and I upgrade to Dune 3, will v3 continue to be NFR for me?
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:36 pm If I have an NFR copy of Dune 2 because I purchased it 2nd hand, and I upgrade to Dune 3, will v3 continue to be NFR for me?
i would assume they are tied together

I think I asked this very same question a year ago or so, and IIRC I think Richard mentioned that the license will remain NFR even after upgrading.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

AnX wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:14 pm v3.05

no idea whats new/fixed
https://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtop ... =7&t=12393
[Update 3.05]:
Turning knobs via the mousewheel did not show pop up values, fixed.
Filter Link switch setting was not properly remembered when closing then re-opening the GUI, fixed.
The patch description and formula editor text fields could crash with wrong input in some cases, fixed.
AAX: Saving patches via "Save As" could crash PT in some cases, fixed.
:)

Wow huge upgrade. Dunes come a looong way!

Return to “Instruments”