What were your go-to synths for 2018?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stokely wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 pm It also has NOT stopped me from downloading demos for Repro and The Legend, both of which I found pretty amazing :)
I can confirm: these are both pretty amazing, and you won't get that sound out of Alchemy. :D (Not that Alchemy's bad!!! Hell no. I just mean that it's ... more about the morphing digital, additive goodness, and less about the raw power and "analog" sound of The Legend and Repro, which are really top-tier.)

You're not helping! :D

I did take one patch from Repro and tried my best to replicate it via Retro Synth. I found that the fx used in Repro really added quite a bit to the overall sound, so because Retro didn't have these I used some built-in and 3rd party fx plugins. The end result didn't sound quite the same and of course Retro is quite a bit simpler...but it ended up sounded very nice indeed! The fx were: overdrive, chorus, sonic maximizer (exciter) and reverb.

I found the same with the Legend. Try turning the fx off on the excellent patch "Cinematic Strings"...still sounds great, but wow what a difference. Not to say you don't need an great fundamental sound, just that these synth makers are really enhancing their products with these excellent fx (and their sound design using them).

But bottom line, I expect I'll probably end up getting an "analog" plugin at some point. Repro in particular got me since I always loved Prophets and wanted one in the late 80s...:D

Spent almost my entire year in VCV Rack which resulted in my most productive year since I started 14 years ago.

But also iVCS3 and SpaceCraft on IOS. Just bought the P900 & Aparillo though (My only VST Synth purchases this year).

Omnisphere 2.5
Reaktor

Stopped using everything else I have (Alchemy 1.5 or whatever, DIVA, Massive and FM7).
*Stopped using* means I just didn't need them. I'm mindblown at how much power there is in Omnisphere and Reaktor. Hell Reaktor alone. It's scary.

Viper (Adam did a very good job on this!), Hive and TheLegend.

I rely on a lot more than synths.
in 2018 it was Absynth and Reaktor Kontour.

Below are the instruments I used most often in 2018:

* UVI Falcon
* Steinberg HALion 6
* IK Multimedia SampleTank 3
* Arturia Analog Lab 3
* Native Instruments Kontakt 5
* Modartt Pianoteq 6
* Applied Acoustic Systems Lounge Lizard EP-4
* XLN Audio Addictive Keys

Didn't make as much music as i should have, but somehow got an EP out over the summer. My go to's were:
- Zebra/HZ
- Massive
- Hive
- Serum

Ones that got used for a bit or two, but might not survive the second round:

- Thorn
- Absynth
- KLC Wavestation
- Dagger
- Repro
- Operator
- Wavetable

Ones that got booted this year, going to try and sell these off soon:

- Madrona Labs Aalto
- TAL UNO LX
- Arturia CS-80v

Synths i sold:

- Bazille
- TAL Bassline

Repro-5 (so fabulous!)
PolyM
Diva
Legend

My Eurorack modular: used in 77 recordings this year
Microbrute: 15 recordings

Aalto: 12 recordings
Buchla Easel V: 5
LuSH-101: 3
ChipSynth PortaFM: 3
A few other software synths: 1

It has been a toss up between Spire and Synthmaster. I have used a ton of different gear for sure, but those two seem to get me to the sound I need the quickest. I wish Spire had a better browser. It is truly pathetic.

As the year ended, however, I found myself working in Diva every second I could get there.

What I use.
1.mpowersynth....when I know what to do
2.zebra 2(recent purchase),harmour and sakura,DS thorn.....for experimenting
3.xpand2 and other wuzik stuff......when I am lazy and want something to be layered

Uninstall....harmless(bought harmour) and applied acoustic (they are great but not for my style of music)
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

almost always use -
for bass:
Charlatan
Elektro
EVM Bassline v1.3
OXEfm

pads:
KLC M1
KLC Wavestation
Z3ta+ v1.5
PG8X

arps:
Arcsyn
Energy Pro
Vanguard
Vstation

Leads:
synth1
Surge
MicroTera
OBXD

keys:
VB3
OXEfm
comboV
comboF

drums:
RMiV
Poise
Drumatic 3

deleted:
Dimension Pro
and
all bloated sample based synths

but honestly, its the mastering process that makes anything sound
incredible or mediocre.
Last edited by layzer on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Introspective wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm
BBFG# wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:21 pm What I most notably have been ignoring are the ones where the company has effectively made them not worth the hassle. Those include IK plugins and Native Instruments. Both have managers that kill any desire to even have them. And the companies themselves have become "indifferent" at best to deal with.
I do so hate the NI patch manager. I just don't use it, full stop.

(Unless you mean the installer, in which case I have to disagree: the NI manager is actually pretty awesome IMO ... aside from the lack of "uninstall," which seems asinine.)
I mean Access, which went from bad to worse to not working at all for me. Glad it works for you. They just need to put the links back in the accounts so that those it doesn't work for can still get our products and updates.
Last edited by BBFG# on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Use:
MUX (Because I'm a Mulab user and love it to death)
UVI Falcon (Got this one on the marketplace, love it to death)
Synthmaster One(Literally just for the vocoder)

Stopped using:
Synthmaster 2 (Despite my signature. Just doesn't keep up with Falcon and MUX. Also very buggy. Used to be my go-to but has fallen behind now)
Rapture (Honestly forgot I had this)
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Return to “Instruments”