Arturia 11 December - Pigments Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 pm
foosnark wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:50 pm though I really don't need more synths.
you should be banned!
:hyper:
Best
YY

foosnark wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:50 pmI'll at least try the demo; the talk of West Coast and flexible modulation has me intrigued, though I really don't need more synths.
Me too. Curious to see their take on the NoiseRing/Turing Machine and stuff... I too think we need more West Coast in these synths.

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 pmyou should be banned!
:lol:
SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:53 pmIf you dont need any more synths I wouldn't risk trying the demo, you might like it :wink:
I've already resigned myself to giving into temptation :D

I really love the GUI and workflow and while i miss things it really is very fast and a joy to work with.
But the sound wouldn´t be in my Top 10 synths compared to what i already have. The filters doesn´t bite really for me and in general it´s more on the thinner side (which can be good as well).
Last edited by Cinebient on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Love the interface although so far I agree the sound is very "generic" as in it has no "character" of it's own, which of course can be a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for at any point in time.

I nearly jumped on Tone 2 Icarus during Black Friday but glad I didn't given the €69 price. However it lacks the resynthesis and WT editing of Icarus. Hopefully that can be added at some point.

I played with this a bunch more last night (late into the night, actually). It's a lot deeper than it looks.

The oscillator mod section (the FM, phase mod, PD, folding) has its own audio-rate modulator separate from the mod system of the synth as a whole. This is something I have not seen in other synths. Furthermore, that osc modulator is really an extra oscillator because it has an output that can be mixed with the wavetable output.

All my Serum wavetables imported flawlessly.

But the mod workflow — this is what makes the synth. It's not just the ease of use, it's the fact that you can see everything visually. All of it, at a glance. The same applies to the individual modulators. For example, other synths, like Zebra, have something equivalent to the Combinator. But in Pigments you can see exactly what is happening. Try combining LFOs at different rates in a combinator to see what I mean. There's no guesswork as to what the result will be. You can see it.

The only place in the modulators they seemed to have dropped the ball is on the Functions (MSEGs). You cannot set loop points.

teilo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm The only place in the modulators they seemed to have dropped the ball is on the Functions (MSEGs). You cannot set loop points.
Yep. That's a feature request that hopefully will get in the synth sometime in the future. :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Is there a noise modulator?

The modulation system is excellent. At first I was not liking it so much, but then I realized one can click on the plus and set/see all the modulation sources for that parameter. Very nice.

So far the sound is good but not distinctive. It does have a generally pleasing tone.

I have to try it out more, but am not immediately sold on the quality of the FM, PM, PD and Wavefolding. Seems a bit brittle sounding. I have not tried setting the project to 96khz to see if that is a positive change.

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm
foosnark wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:50 pmI'll at least try the demo; the talk of West Coast and flexible modulation has me intrigued, though I really don't need more synths.
Me too. Curious to see their take on the NoiseRing/Turing Machine and stuff... I too think we need more West Coast in these synths.
Agreed - the West Coast is the most interesting aspect to me.

Arturia would have to constantly and consistently update PS to make it competitive with the big boys like Avenger, Rapid, Serum, Dune, U-he (Zebra, Hive) and Tone2 which are always in constant development. To be honest Arturia probably should have stuck to their niche which is where they have done really well. I think I would have preferred a new PPG Wave emu with a sound closer to the vintage sound. The market for wavetable based super synths is highly competitive and all about cockerel waving.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

The 'sound design' feature (light bulb icon) that actually highlights and suggests knobs to tweak to change the sounds of patches is a lovely little feature (I havent seen anthing like that before I dointy think)

I assume the knobs and ranges shown are put in by the sound designer, but I haven't found a way of doing it with my own patches if I was going to distrobute them? Is there a way of doing thjsi or is this just for the Arturia guys?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

v1o wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:47 pm Arturia would have to constantly and consistently update PS to make it competitive with the big boys like Avenger, Rapid, Serum, Dune, U-he (Zebra, Hive) and Tone2 which are always in constant development. To be honest Arturia probably should have stuck to their niche which is where they have done really well. I think I would have preferred a new PPG Wave emu with a sound closer to the vintage sound. The market for wavetable based super synths is highly competitive and all about cockerel waving.
I don't know. I actually think the new Synth has a Lot of Promise, Especially in how easy it is to program and its beautiful UI and responsiveness. I agree however that the market for WT synths has become EXTREMELY oversaturated, especially after the Success of Serum.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 pm The 'sound design' feature (light bulb icon) that actually highlights and suggests knobs to tweak to change the sounds of patches is a lovely little feature (I havent seen anthing like that before I dointy think)

I assume the knobs and ranges shown are put in by the sound designer, but I haven't found a way of doing it with my own patches if I was going to distrobute them? Is there a way of doing thjsi or is this just for the Arturia guys?
There is a drop down at the right of the light icon. You can enable the edit mode.

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm
There are some really nice west coast style/modular style patches in the 'sequences' presets, many use the random sources (turing etc) to good effect and you can have a lot of fun with just the programed macros...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Kevin [Arturia] wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:28 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 pm The 'sound design' feature (light bulb icon) that actually highlights and suggests knobs to tweak to change the sounds of patches is a lovely little feature (I havent seen anthing like that before I dointy think)

There is a drop down at the right of the light icon. You can enable the edit mode.
(Advanced) edit mode :dog:

Just about everything else I think I have worked out without looking in the manual (yet), cant believe I missed that!

Thank you- any comment if MPE will be suppored in the future (see how I just slipped that in :wink: )

Return to “Instruments”