Arturia 11 December - Pigments Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

felis wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:55 am I guess you probably didn't like the Virus name either then.
I didn't mind it because there are certain types of virus which are useful.. ;)
https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.or ... r-killers/
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

So I downloaded it waiting to be impressed...

meh... really just one more synth to the bunch, sounds quite vanilla, the GUI seems big for no reason, presets quite boring.

Really no point investing time when I have other options, for example Wavetable in Live maybe more simple in modulation options but the filters and wavetables sounds as good as this new synth.
dedication to flying

By the looks and feel of it, same designer that did Biotek.
Visuals are stunning, sounds thin, the envelope design is the weakest point.
Not the one to beat them all, but a nice addition.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:09 am Of all the names they could have chosen for this beginning with letter P, they chose that... :lol: They could have named it something like Assimilator, Photostream, Morphius, Waviator, Forminator, Spectrafuse, Flow, Hyperwave, Tsunami, Plasmaform, Iridescence... Fluidation.... something interesting, but no they call it after the first 3 letters of a farm animal that eats turnips on a piece of farm land...

I've heard and read some strange name for software...but this is probably the worst named synth ever heard from software company let alone a hardware and software company. I wouldn't buy or use it because of the name alone.

More seriously though..

"Melanoma of the eye

Melanoma is cancer that develops from pigment-producing cells called melanocytes. Most melanomas develop in the skin, but it's also possible for them to occur in other parts of the body, including the eye.

Eye melanoma most commonly affects the eyeball. Doctors sometimes call it uveal or choroidal melanoma, depending on exactly which part of your eye is affected."

I'd have the guy fired, for putting that name on a product to be sold, on that basis alone.
Pigments is just another name for colors. The synth is colorful. That's it. It has nothing to do with pigs and it's a major stretch to link it to cancer.

It is a terrible name.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:36 am Pigments is the worst name for a synth I've ever heard :?
It's a pretty bad name, but not as bad as Grandmother or Fizmo.
The name isn't its worst point though, its sound is thin and harsh, IMO.

felis wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:33 pm Just from a quick skim of it, it's got a lot of nice features.
I usually don't use arp/sequencer stuff too much, but this one seems fun to toy with.
Lots of good filters too.
The VA is a bit skimpy, but that's been done to death anyways.

Haven't dug into the deeper aspects of it, but I'm nit-picky.
First thing I noticed was that they missed release velocity as a mod source. :(
That's enough for me to take a pass on it,
because I've got VA/Wavetable synths that handle that nicely,
and it's important to me.
Maybe they'll add it, but I won't hold my breath for it.
For velocity, check : Side chain modulation
Best
YY

jsp1979 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:17 am Pigments is just another name for colors. The synth is colorful. That's it. It has nothing to do with pigs and it's a major stretch to link it to cancer.
Then they should have called it something along the lines of Colouriser (or Coloriser if American) then, if that's the case (Adj: Colour rising...meaning moving waves).

When I read what they called it, Cancer was the very first thing I though of in association to it.

---

I'm just trying to imagine seeing a real piece of musical hardware with the word PIGMENTS on it.

I could come up with all sorts of theories why they chose this, but anyway it's 6am and I'm out.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

You should join Arturia's forum and then criticise them relentlessly for months on end.

Pig Mints :?:

The sound may not impress these days, but man, i love playing with Pigments, its so easy to use and everything so hands on and it doesnt use more CPU then Serum.

Ed A. wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:05 am
Vortifex wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:36 am Pigments is the worst name for a synth I've ever heard :?
It's a pretty bad name, but not as bad as Grandmother or Fizmo.
The name isn't its worst point though, its sound is thin and harsh, IMO.
Realy? Are you just listening to the presets or trying to dial in a fat sound?

I can very easily dial up massive fat analog sounds with the 6 analog modeled oscillators and the VA filters, the SEM filter is superb.

If you switch to Wavetable then you get out what you put in, Wavetable is notorious for metallic and cutting sounds, but if you start with a Wavetable,e from a fat warm sound and scan it, it will sound fat and warm?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Say what you say (some) people.. I'm pretty impressed with Arturias latest synth. Name is a bit funny yeah but finally they have something more to offer than some so and so emulations of an old hardware.

Maybe not a must buy for me but if I had to choose a new synth and I had to choose between serum and pigment..

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 am Say what you say (some) people.. I'm pretty impressed with Arturias latest synth. Name is a bit funny yeah but finally they have something more to offer than some so and so emulations of an old hardware.

Maybe not a must buy for me but if I had to choose a new synth and I had to choose between serum and pigment..
Same here, and add to that i think this synth GUI is a perfect example of what intuitive and easy to use is. And not only that, the whole design. What i like alot that its big but it doesnt give you all the parameters wich makes this synth not to look overwhelming. Instead it shows what you need and most importantly a list (horizontal thing in the middle) of modulations that are active. Im surprised no one has ever thought of making something like that. Its such an amazing indicator what is being modulated.

Then there are the the Colors, the size of knobs, text, everything is so proportional it doesnt feel like a chore using the the synth and doesnt look like a spaceship, doesnt look like a christmas tree. Sometimes i think some developers take GUI for granted. But hey Fabfilter plugins are most popular for years and one of the main aspects is the GUI, learn ffs, Arturia has learned this.

Its just crazy, the expierience programing this thing is amazing and its not feature packed as many other synths. And im not sponsored or anything. Its just whole expierience using this synth (mainly because of how GUI perfect is). :party:

EDIT: Whats cool about this synth is lets say you are working on track with a deadline, you just surf thro presets and you hear something interesting and you want to tweak, you dont feel a burden, that feeling "oh gosh now i have to find things to turn off, remove so i could only have that sound i hear, maybe i just press next or open some other synth" :)
Last edited by Elektronisch on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Some absurd comments about the name - it matches the synth beautifully

Return to “Instruments”