One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ModulAir

schiing wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 am Yeah, the choir (more like soprano, I guess) patch I sent you is lifted from my "experimental folder", and that combination of modules have given me all kinds of woodwinds and brass. Also, very nice strings there, Taron!
I chose two formant osc and checked out the Wikipedia Formant Freq Table, i.e. Formant "a" is f1 = 700 and f2 = 1150 with spread 0,32...

Here's a really easy way to make a Sax, using the formant and one FM osc. Doesn't get much purer than that... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Still not annoyed? Well, here's a pretty wicked sax patch. ModWheel growls, Aftertouch diminishes airflow (quieter and slightly down pitch). Loads of pretty lag and well...it can be very expressive!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This month has been great fun -- what a terrific synth. I have a couple of feature requests (sorry Björn, I'm not a programmer so have no idea how hard any of this is!):

- make the modules moveable. It would be great to be able to re-arrange the modules to better represent signal flow. As my patches get more complicated it starts getting visually disorganized, even with several starting templates that have different configurations.
- ability to modulate envelope components. This can be done with midi controllers, but it would be great to be able to modulate the envelopes more.
- mute buttons on the amplifier modules. This would be useful when building complex sounds.

I've really enjoyed this synth -- almost endless possibilities and easy to convert thoughts to sounds, which is what a good UI is supposed to do!

Thanks!

ontrackp wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm This month has been great fun -- what a terrific synth. I have a couple of feature requests (sorry Björn, I'm not a programmer so have no idea how hard any of this is!):

- make the modules moveable. It would be great to be able to re-arrange the modules to better represent signal flow. As my patches get more complicated it starts getting visually disorganized, even with several starting templates that have different configurations.
- ability to modulate envelope components. This can be done with midi controllers, but it would be great to be able to modulate the envelopes more.
- mute buttons on the amplifier modules. This would be useful when building complex sounds.

I've really enjoyed this synth -- almost endless possibilities and easy to convert thoughts to sounds, which is what a good UI is supposed to do!

Thanks!
+1 to all your suggestions and I would add a feature request for stable OSCs. I Did some experiments on my track today, but I wasn't able to get the OSC more stable. Actually this renders my bdr a horrible piece of unstable noize.
Additionaly I would love to have "stable" patches. I have one with a Delay module in it and it sounds different each time I load the patch...hm?
And last but not least I would love to see the worlds of control signals and audio signals merged together and become one. That would allow for Filter FM with a "real" OSC.

Updated my track with subtle additions and tried to "optimize" my BDR, but as reported earlier the lack of stable oscillators makes my BDR suck: viewtopic.php?p=7222405#p7222405
Updated the stats with estimated numbers of FX..."estimated" only because it's so easy to place FX anywhere in Bitwig. Standard Delay for instance has a FX slot in the FB-loop, then there are "Containers" like Mid/Side and Multiband which digest any number of FX in each of the Container slots/bands. It's quite hard to keep track of everything and on top of that, I'm too lazy to do my accountants chores. I rather want to work on my patches and sounds ;-)

Right click on a module allows you to change it's slot position, by the way. Rearranging works well. What I noticed as a little exhausting is the naming of modules. Sounds weird, possibly, but I would enjoy being able to name a module myself.

I noticed a really weird bug, using MuLab, but I'm not sure, if it is DAW related. It can happen, that adding a new instance can screw up certain parameters in "possibly" the last instance before. I keep having this strange thing, where the comb filter frequency changes to 16 (0) then. It's not a consistent issue I'm aware of, but it indicates that new instances can affect previous instances or "last active" instances. :shrug:

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:53 am
schiing wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 am Yeah, the choir (more like soprano, I guess) patch I sent you is lifted from my "experimental folder", and that combination of modules have given me all kinds of woodwinds and brass. Also, very nice strings there, Taron!
I chose two formant osc and checked out the Wikipedia Formant Freq Table, i.e. Formant "a" is f1 = 700 and f2 = 1150 with spread 0,32...
Thanks for the tip - yeah, Wikipedia is your friend. I could certainly be a bit more scientific about my programming. My default starting point when I start exploring a new synth is basically "mash a lot of stuff together and see what happens." But real knowledge is seeping through, too - I check out the theory behind it when I'm after specific sounds, and that always saves a lot of time!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Taron wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:07 pm Right click on a module allows you to change it's slot position, by the way. Rearranging works well. What I noticed as a little exhausting is the naming of modules. Sounds weird, possibly, but I would enjoy being able to name a module myself.

I noticed a really weird bug, using MuLab, but I'm not sure, if it is DAW related. It can happen, that adding a new instance can screw up certain parameters in "possibly" the last instance before. I keep having this strange thing, where the comb filter frequency changes to 16 (0) then. It's not a consistent issue I'm aware of, but it indicates that new instances can affect previous instances or "last active" instances. :shrug:
I will try that. Thanks! Strike it from the request list!

I'd say keep it on the request list to drag modules between slots. I've wanted to do that a lot, it's just a lot slower to right click and think about which # is the right one...

Agreed, BUT if you start dragging stuff around already, I would completely LOVE to drag around input choices, including [ctrl]+drag to copy! You know what I mean? It's not about dragging modules into input slots, while that would be awesome already. Imagine dragging a module into an input slot, where it then recognizes the module and opens a requester for choices (dual something A or B, for example, you know). But you may also just drag chosen inputs around, including the option to copy, like I already said. This would make this brilliant for editing!

Another thing that would be great, would be if you could switch the underlying module and not lose the modulations.

Also, it would be great if it had an init song that somehow won me another OSC :-P

Hahahaha....man, this crowd is brutal! :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Wowsa, I'm playing around with my growly sax... well...only used carefully, but it's fascinating:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/saxygrowl/s-aTgZ0
(Very daring harmony progression, I know... :oops: )

Return to “Instruments”