A Synth is only as good as its presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anomandaris1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 pmSimple sounds, but sounds excellent. I have yet to hear a vst that sounds as fat as real Oberheimer synth.
Very agreeable. I sometimes wish I had the nerve to do another analogue emu.

Urs wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pm
anomandaris1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 pmSimple sounds, but sounds excellent. I have yet to hear a vst that sounds as fat as real Oberheimer synth.
...December 2019: U-heim Public Beta :P

Urs wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pmVery agreeable. I sometimes wish I had the nerve to do another analogue emu.
I didn't know you DIDN'T have the nerve to do it. What's so unnerving about it?

sleepcircle wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pmVery agreeable. I sometimes wish I had the nerve to do another analogue emu.
probably the amount of "it doesn't sound anything like a synth ive never actually heard in person whereas you had one to compare in the office :tantrum: " type posts that follow an emu :hihi:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:31 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pm
...December 2019: U-heim Public Beta :P

ReOB-Xa :D

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 pmprobably the amount of "it doesn't sound anything like a synth ive never actually heard in person whereas you had one to compare in the office :tantrum: " type posts that follow an emu :hihi:
oh. that would be understandable.

this is why we can't have nice things.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rOB-loX if you want to get the next generation of kids in :tu:
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

sleepcircle wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm
Doing analogue models is the most taxing business I have yet encountered (followed by reverb design). Endless A/B comparisons, paired with "what is the difference, actually?". It wipes me out.

I don't think that Oberheim sound is much above good soft synths anymore.

Maybe a controversial point, but doesn't a synth sound essentially different on every computer anyway?

They all have different (quality of) audio (re)producing equipment that might influence/colour the sound, no?

fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 pm I don't think that Oberheim sound is much above good soft synths anymore.
Well, maybe you are right and just with expert preset programming people can replicate anything.
But can a digital - wavetable, FM, additive synth synth sound as "alive" as analogue synths? I guess the trick is the oscillators being unstable and filters very high quality. It would be interesting to hear some typical digital metallic/crystal/weird pads or leads sounding as "musical" as something analogue - it's ironic that imperfection sounds better than 100 % in tune, static waveforms.

For me personally, it's time for me to move on from the nostalgia onto new things.
<List your stupid gear here>

it's not all nostalgia. a big part of it is the ballistic nature of electric current, and the endless self-interactions which create all that sonic interest and liveliness.

Urs wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:43 pm Doing analogue models is the most taxing business I have yet encountered (followed by reverb design). Endless A/B comparisons, paired with "what is the difference, actually?". It wipes me out.
understandable. well, i wouldn't dream of trying to push you to do something that you didn't want to do. repro still offers a lot of room for my experimentation, what with all the self-oscillations and things.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anomandaris1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 pm I don't think that Oberheim sound is much above good soft synths anymore.
Well, maybe you are right and just with expert preset programming people can replicate anything.
But can a digital - wavetable, FM, additive synth synth sound as "alive" as analogue synths? I guess the trick is the oscillators being unstable and filters very high quality. It would be interesting to hear some typical digital metallic/crystal/weird pads or leads sounding as "musical" as something analogue - it's ironic that imperfection sounds better than 100 % in tune, static waveforms.
Access to good sound engineers and producers might help too. Not something many people have access to :hihi:
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

anomandaris1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Also the synth's keyboard can add to how the sound is perceived. A sound played directly with the synth's keyboard can in finess sound quite differently than the same sound played from a computer or by Midi.

(On my JX-3P (no velocity) I could do things within the attack of a sound that were not possible when played via the computer or by Midi!)

.. and for your last remark: that's called the human condition! ;)
Last edited by ZeePok on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”