Synth1 - Best Banks, Tips, and Tricks for getting the best from Synth1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many 22-year olds have no idea what they are interested in these days...

Was already the case when i was that age...

Geezus, such drama from a simple request for bank ideas and programming tips!

OK, I'll bite. Kind of a long story, but my son's computer life, so to speak, is centered around his cell/smart phone, like many his age I suppose. I set up a laptop for him back in high school and he dabbled in music on that machine from time to time, but he was deeply involved in wrestling (in school) and karate (after), and hung with those crowds in between - not particularly conducive to more music exploration than he was already squeezing in.

Then, his laptop got destroyed in hurricane Harvey a year ago or so, along with a lot of his other stuff (had to be boat rescued, etc.). So about a month ago he asked if I could set him up with another laptop, as I have many sitting around (like most people, I suspect), and he asked if I could include those synth plugins I had put on his first laptop, and also the music recording software (and some art programs too). So there is no "pushing" of any direction, other than that on my own butt to get on with his request.

The amazing assumptions and soothsaying here is hilarious, when not directly offensive. But to say this thread has strayed from its focus is a vast understatement of fact!

I don't want or need my life or that of my family analyzed, or foretold, or attacked - not even by the world's finest morons. I just want to learn about others' opinions of interesting patch banks and tips for Synth1, especially those in a more modern, dance idiom. And if you have no banks or programming tips to offer, I respectfully suggest this may not be the best thread for your participation. Thanks.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:36 pm That was also a bit my impression. Parents should not tell their 22 year old "children" what to do and be interested in. There is a time for trying to get children interested in this or that so that they find out what they themselves might like, but that time is long over in my view.

And although Synth1 is a good free synth, a 22 year old person might find other, more modern synths much more appealing - if he or she is interested in synths in the first place.
Well that's a different subject altogether. Of course parents shouldn't tell their kids what to do with their lives. My mother tried to force piano lessons on me so I rebelled. Had she not, I might have started learning earlier than I did and become a better pianist than I am today. I never tell my daughter what to do. It's her life. She doesn't play an instrument or sing and I'm fine with that. As long as she's happy.

SciFiArtMan wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:58 pm Geezus, such drama from a simple request for bank ideas and programming tips!

OK, I'll bite. Kind of a long story, but my son's computer life, so to speak, is centered around his cell/smart phone, like many his age I suppose. I set up a laptop for him back in high school and he dabbled in music on that machine from time to time, but he was deeply involved in wrestling (in school) and karate (after), and hung with those crowds in between - not particularly conducive to more music exploration than he was already squeezing in.

Then, his laptop got destroyed in hurricane Harvey a year ago or so, along with a lot of his other stuff (had to be boat rescued, etc.). So about a month ago he asked if I could set him up with another laptop, as I have many sitting around (like most people, I suspect), and he asked if I could include those synth plugins I had put on his first laptop, and also the music recording software (and some art programs too). So there is no "pushing" of any direction, other than that on my own butt to get on with his request.

The amazing assumptions and soothsaying here is hilarious, when not directly offensive. But to say this thread has strayed from its focus is a vast understatement of fact!

I don't want or need my life or that of my family analyzed, or foretold, or attacked - not even by the world's finest morons. I just want to learn about others' opinions of interesting patch banks and tips for Synth1, especially those in a more modern, dance idiom. And if you have no banks or programming tips to offer, I respectfully suggest this may not be the best thread for your participation. Thanks.
Well, I think some people including myself have commented because of the way what you wrote might come across. When you mention your son in your opening post, naturally some people will wonder about that, even if it is off-topic...

Your sound set question as such is similar to the one I had with Sylenth1 initially. People keep saying there are zillions of sound sets out there for both synths, just pick the one you like, but who wants or has the time to download and try them all? 8) Most are probably pretty crappy, anyway...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:56 pm Singing is much easier than playing an instrument at a sufficient level.
It depends to what level you sing,and to what instrument you compare singing with. To be an opera singer with perfect intonation takes years to learn and many hours practice every week. If you pick up a guitar, pitch is already sorted because it has frets,the same goes for piano. Violin on the other hand requires the same skill as singing as it has no frets.

If someone is using synth1 for the first time, then the Bigtone bank is a pretty good place to start. This bank has a very good range of various sounds of all types and demonstrates what it is capable of.The sounds it can produce are pretty amazing considering it is less than 1 megabyte in size.

I just have to be clear, yeah sometimes the different threads derails, but when misinformation is spread we have to say something about those things that simply aren't true, we can give our opinion...

I hope the OP find the best sound bank for his son or the best synth.

BTW I like to use this GUI, it's pretty decent compared to that ugly default GUI synth1 uses, it reminds me the old clavia nord lead 2x.

#cecacd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

While not exactly pointing to specific favorite banks, I have found that Neutrino Sky's Synth Librarian has been helpful in navigating through the preset cornucopia to hone in on types of sounds and to the assign patches as favorites.

Other than what's already being mentioned by others, following are the banks that I use more often in my works.

1) Godly famous bank (not the retail one but the free version that the designer released few years back herein KVR) - Fantastic for 80s style sounds
2) Alfmeister's Magic Cracker - Has some fantastic lead sounds with 80s shades
3) BWWD's Gold/Green/Pads banks - Absolute must have with n number of sonic possibilities (IMHO, some of the Pads and Strings presets in these three banks can easily rival the commercial ones)
4) Retrohead - Gmulators banks - Amazing quality of sounds (orchestral/synths/pianos)
5) Kaiyoti Bank - Best percussion/drums bank that I have ever had for Synth1
6) Rydeen bank - Mainly use it for Melody B preset (chiptunish brilliance)

Cheers! :tu:

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baalisoda wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:38 am 3) BWWD's Gold/Green/Pads banks - Absolute must have with n number of sonic possibilities (IMHO, some of the Pads and Strings presets in these three banks can easily rival the commercial ones)
Contained patches stolen from other people's banks. :wink:

Oh and just to say it one more time. Anyone who tries to sell patches for Synth 1 is a douche bag.

End of story, not interested in hearing lame arguments.........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 pm
baalisoda wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:38 am 3) BWWD's Gold/Green/Pads banks - Absolute must have with n number of sonic possibilities (IMHO, some of the Pads and Strings presets in these three banks can easily rival the commercial ones)
Contained patches stolen from other people's banks. :wink:

Oh and just to say it one more time. Anyone who tries to sell patches for Synth 1 is a douche bag.

End of story, not interested in hearing lame arguments.........
I actually agree with this as a sound designer. The dev gave away this amazing synth out of the goodness of his heart. I don't even think he has a donation page. For someone to try to capitalize off of his free work is wrong.

Of course this is just my opinion.

And yeah, I know all the counter arguments of all the platforms developed for free that people then made software on that they end up selling.

It's not the same thing. I can go into all the reasons why but it would be pointless. I've been through this argument already and have no desire to enter it again.

C'mon develop's time is priceless but sound designer's time not ...r u guys serious ...
what about millions of dollars made selling albums,using sounds made by somebody like us ...
ordinary people 'buying' music one way or another even don't know what sound designer means,the music happens thanks to our work ...that's how bad the situation with this 'business' is in 2018 ...unbelievable ...
I 'sell' for Firebird - some of them are quite unique(never saw other designer to do same before),what makes me that...an idiot maybe or fan of the synth,who want small donation for work that can make money for others,basically you spend money to make a set- donations are welcome if presets are useful,don't you think and what a mess ,if you make Sylenth1 thing which is very similar to 100 other things is Ok but if the synth you do presets is free is not,why is that,if it's useful and worth it(for somebody),why not to ask money?
Anyway i spend my donations for music stuff and basically is circle,but still respect other people work,somebody may succeed to make it real business some day :):):)
Some day will finish my s1 free bank but for now only this:
https://velltone.wixsite.com/velltone

Return to “Instruments”