Synth1 - Best Banks, Tips, and Tricks for getting the best from Synth1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I realize asking a question of "best" is highly subjective and tuned to various styles of music, but I believe there can be some consensus on which dozen or so banks are in the top tier. And my opinion isn't really valid as I have limited tastes.

I'd also like to hear of any tips or tricks others have found for squeezing the most from this well-traveled beast! For example, I don't care (or didn't) for the Decimater, but I've since seen many achieve unusual results using that effect.

I'm setting my son up with a new DAW and Synth1 is one of the synths I want him to learn first, and I want to find some banks that reflect sounds for music other than my old man preferences. So I'm also looking for the best EDM, electronica, synthwave, pop and other banks that are outside my musical wheelhouse.

There's a free bank of patches that's been compiled over the years. It's easy to find with a Google search. It has about 14,000 patches last I checked. Could be more now. Trust me, it's worth downloading.

Other than that, try to learn to program the synth. It's really not that hard. Once you do, you'll then be able to create anything that you don't find in those 14,000 patches.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 am There's a free bank of patches that's been compiled over the years. It's easy to find with a Google search. It has about 14,000 patches last I checked. Could be more now. Trust me, it's worth downloading.

Other than that, try to learn to program the synth. It's really not that hard. Once you do, you'll then be able to create anything that you don't find in those 14,000 patches.
I'm sorry you missed the point of my post, Wags. I very likely have all the Synth1 banks - that's not what I was asking.

Furthermore, at the risk of upsetting scores of other fine programmers, I consider myself one of the top patch designers for Synth1, and I only mention this to counteract your condescension. I have no proof to share, and feel no need to prove that statement, but for whatever twisted reason, that's how I feel. BUT, I only feel I'm one of the better patch designers for MY styles, and my son has vastly different tastes, and I want to find what others feel are the "best" banks. If you have no bank preferences or tips to offer, I understand.

Synth1 is limited in some features. For your son, do not find the sounds that young people like. Try Fathom. These are tremendous possibilities, all types of synthesis. unique oscillators. Mono version is free, but very powerful station.
Your son will like it more.
:phones:

I agree with your opinion of Synth1 completely, OllyAudio! But I want my son to learn Synth1 because I believe it's a good learning synth, and because I know it so well I can help with his learning curve. And to be honest, I want him to use some of my creations as I know he enjoys many, especially the pads.

But I agree there are far better synth plugins for music more attuned to his preferences. I know he likes my Nexus2 and Zebra2 a lot, but he'll have to save up for those, and get them when he's ready. Once he learns the basics of subtractive synthesis he can expand from there with a relatively solid base of knowledge, hopefully.

I agree with you. Learn to start better with Synth1. You know it well and can show you the basics of working with a synthesizer.
From easy to hard is always the right way.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SciFiArtMan wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 am There's a free bank of patches that's been compiled over the years. It's easy to find with a Google search. It has about 14,000 patches last I checked. Could be more now. Trust me, it's worth downloading.

I'm sorry you missed the point of my post, Wags. I very likely have all the Synth1 banks - that's not what I was asking.

Furthermore, at the risk of upsetting scores of other fine programmers, I consider myself one of the top patch designers for Synth1, and I only mention this to counteract your condescension. I have no proof to share, and feel no need to prove that statement, but for whatever twisted reason, that's how I feel. BUT, I only feel I'm one of the better patch designers for MY styles, and my son has vastly different tastes, and I want to find what others feel are the "best" banks. If you have no bank preferences or tips to offer, I understand.
My condescension? Christ, I was only trying to be helpful.

f**k this place!

SciFiArtMan - Did you make the Art Institute patches? I'm just being nosey trying to find out which patch banks you made.

OllyAudio wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:37 am Synth1 is limited in some features. For your son, do not find the sounds that young people like. Try Fathom. These are tremendous possibilities, all types of synthesis. unique oscillators. Mono version is free, but very powerful station.
Your son will like it more.
if one takes the time to learn Synth1 inside out it can do just about anything. i use it to get some super low cpu usage killer lead distortion guitar sounds out of it.
Fk fathom :roll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Synth 1 is limited in modulation capabilities. this limits the synthesis of complex compositional sounds.

@wagtunes - to be fair. the OP asked for your favorite synth1 banks. You told him to search for the big package of synth1 soundbanks and to learn to program synth1. That sort of is condescending, don't you think? Doubly so if his soundbanks are recognized as some of those quality soundbanks that are distributed with synth1. I'm just showing this from another viewpoint and hoping you can see that it might be offensive on the surface.

OllyAudio wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:23 pm Synth 1 is limited in modulation capabilities. this limits the synthesis of complex compositional sounds.
oh really? here is a song where i used synth1 for all the guitar sounds,
this "limited modulation" you say really affects the ability for making
complex compositional sounds with it , huh? :idea:
https://app.box.com/s/s4ip4y9zffw21a8sfrdtihpuc6wemu5k

synth1 is limited by your sound design skills.

oh btw, the bass on the song is the exellent free FM synth OXEfm :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/secti83fo1fp9 ... o.mp3?dl=0

you create one of these in Synth1. Then it will become clear to you what I meant about the limitations and about the compositional sounds.

I think the banks by Annabelle a.k.a Nolwenn have to be considered some of the best banks ever produced for Synth 1.

http://ann.sounds.free.fr/

I'm of course partial to my own patches but would never be so presumptuous to think they belong in the "best of" category. They were some of the first ever released though..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”