One Synth Challenge #116: Triple Cheese (mmGhost Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-fall
OSC #116: U-He's "Triple Cheese"
Triple Cheese is AWESOME! ♥

Instances: 22
DAW: MuLab (www.mutools.com)
FX: Mid-Side Processor, Vintage Echo 1, 4BandEQ, 2BandEQ, cross_delay, level compressor, dimension expander
3rd party: Abstract Chamber, LoudMax64, OTT, SlickHDR, Auburn Studio's Panagment

I'm sticking with it, because it is kind of daring, but hey... curious, if this one goes a little far into a sort of jazz realm?! :shrug: ...but I'm totally enjoying to go nuts a little. :hyper:
Last edited by Taron on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yeah man - go for it - that jazz feel is nice and the sound design (as always) impeccable. More flute please - maybe a bit more jazz feel to the flute???

dB

Thanks, Rob! Yeah, I should push the tremolo depth on the flute. I wished I could control the timbre of the flute more, get a bit more wood into it. Right now it really rather sounds like an Ocarina.
Anyway, great call, I completely agree! :tu: :hug:

Yup, I also found not enough control on flute timbre - also I found the "blown" tones just had too much noise and was hard to get a decent consistent tone for a flute player! I too put some delayed vibrato on the flute (as per a "real" player - my daughter is a flutist and does awesome diaphragm vibrato! Also very good at bending notes, flutter tonguing etc!).

Look forward to the final track - shaping up very nicely.

dB

PS Thanks for the PM's too - appreciated.

Wow Taron, your WIP blows the stuff I've been working on out of the water! Your instruments sound a lot more convincing than the ones I've made so far. Also love the composition you've got, doesn't sound too jazzy to me.

Are you using many effects? I'm guessing EQ and Compressor?

This is the first OSC I'm planning to enter, been pootling along for the last week (I class myself as a noob, only really started a year or so as an on/off hobby), I have something but not really ready to share yet (feeling a little intimidated...). I'm having a lot of fun making all the patches myself, mostly experimenting rather than trying to recreate real instruments.

Been spending too long looking at synths, need to make more music! It's more about personal growth for me and less about the competition.

Thanks, Ranoka, that's super sweet! :)
Yeah, I've got some effects on it, especially EQ and abstract chambers (reverb). There is OTT on the master along with SlickHDR just to have a gentle extra boost, not as brutal as OTT and eventually loudmax64 for final limiting. I sometimes get a little carried away with the master. Anyway, there's only one compressor on it at this point, which side-chains the kick drum to gently give it more room. Other than that, most dramatic are the EQs on cymbals, really, where I tried to sort of control the frequencies more radically, but the rest only has super gentle EQ for slight drops or minor raises. I prefer to let the synth do its thing, if it can...and, boy, does TrippleCheese do a thing. Most instruments have no EQ on them, but Abstract Chamber either insert or one FX bus with a neat hall construction I did this time. Some of the instruments have a Mid-Side Processor on them, which allows to drop the center volume or just the sides and makes a fantastic way to control placement of a sound, either pushing it out to make room in the center or, well, the opposite. Creates tremendous depth control.

Well, with this one you get onto a rather unusual synth, but it's absolutely glorious. Thing is to allow it to do what it wants to do, this is to say: Don't fight it!
Often we are tempted to create certain kinds of "go-to" sounds, spare no effort to somehow get there, but that just isn't always a good idea. This time it would be a terrible idea. So, yeah, just don't work against its nature, but take advantage of it. You still get to pick, if you want a punchy sound or a soft pad, with a bit of finesse you can use both envelopes for more complex envelopes, too. Also controlling as much of the tone of a sound as you can over time. Some beautiful things happen then. Accept the limitations, make them your strength, if possible! :tu:

Above all, don't worry about stacking up to anything other than your desired result! Always go after that and try to get as close to it as you can! It's really not easy sometimes. How often does it feel like:"MEH, it's ALMOST there, but then...it's not. Something is off or missing or maybe too much?!" ...that's the beauty about what we do here: Experiment, try things, don't be afraid and never worry about anything other than what you do! :phones:
Last edited by Taron on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taron that work-in-progress sounds fantastic :tu: Yes the quality is a bit intimidating, but much more than that it is inspirational.
Thanks for sharing those details of your production so far, that is really helpful for those of us still stuggling towards good results (well, me at least :D )

Pffff, hard to imagine that you'd struggle any harder than me, regarding production. You're doing regularly fantastic sounding tracks and you've inspired me a great deal already.
ANYHOW: THANK YOU! :hug:
...but, really, this synth sounds fantastic, even if one can make "mistakes" with damp and tone, potentially creating scratchy artifacts, if you know to avoid or deal with them with different settings for those parameters, the quality is brilliant! :phones:

I agree with Taron - a very nice synth. Most of my instruments only have light EQ too (I could have got away with none!). Making those final tweaks to the sound was the hardest part - in the end you have to say, well, that's probably as good as it gets, or else go for something completely different!

You can get some scratchy, clicky sounds out of it. I had one annoying click which happened now and then, always on a note from the flute tracks. It was consistent, and in the end I tracked it down to my own fault! Using "legato" mode, but had a few notes which had a minute overlap (like only a few midi ticks), but, enough for the synth to chop the sound and make a click. Simple fix was to go "poly" mode - and then go in and fix those midi timings!!! Generally a flute doesn't play two notes at the same time (but you can if you are a good flutist!). A bit like whistling two notes at the same time (can be done!).

dB

Well, mono or legato sounds are notoriously hard to design, even if you have a lot of control. I generally prefer to carefully play a polyphonic sound, using velocity for control to introduce or leave out attack differences. When you "glissando" across notes with a flute, overtones can radically change along the way, which is tough to achieve with a legato sound, depending on the abilities of the synth. But polyphonic, using velocity is almost always supported to vary certain characteristics. There's always some trade-off, of course. Anyway, in any questionable situation I fallback onto polyphonic, but played with care and carefully designed envelopes (tighter release, but not too tight and so on).

I agree MrT. I've reworked the flutes and let them push and pull the attack phase around a bit. Also tweaked the delayed vibrato. Finally, did some velocity editing of the low register notes to get more power into them - always hard on a real flute!

DR:12

Enjoy

dB
https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... ple-cheese
Last edited by doctorbob on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 am 2 extra cheesy banks if anyone wants more TC presets:

Camembert Electrique

The Cheese Shop

I love Triplecheese, might even enter this one for a change.
Thank you very much for the presets, CameMUSEd!

Wow! Taron your opening is so well placed I can even see the soundscape :o
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Thanks, Med! With the "crackle" I just couldn't resist and I just love me a nice thunderstorm. 8)

Taron wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 pm but hey... curious, if this one goes a little far into a sort of jazz realm?! :shrug: ...but I'm totally enjoying to go nuts a little. :hyper:
There's no such thing as "too jazzy," Taron! And as long as we're not talking about politics, spread or violent behaviour, I say there's no such thing as "too nutty," either :hihi: You're on safe ground - sounds delicious!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Return to “Instruments”