Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

yemski wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:36 pm Does this work in FL studio now?. The last time I tried this in FL it just shut down immediately.
Sure does in my case. It has worked just fine since it went free.

except there is still a bug for me where the preset name does not change in FL Studio. i wrote to the developer but not heard any more since initial acknowledgement of my mail. i got the impression that he had no knowledge about Fl.. small thing, but still a bug...

Fair point, inkwarp. I've never noticed this bug.

hi guys,
Im using surge on windows 64bit running live 9 (32bit). Seem to be getting some random crashes when i close down ableton??
Is this only supported on 64 bit daws? It seems to be working fine but not sure why i am getting the crash notifications often when restarting live?
Thanks!

inkwarp wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:14 pm except there is still a bug for me where the preset name does not change in FL Studio. i wrote to the developer but not heard any more since initial acknowledgement of my mail. i got the impression that he had no knowledge about Fl.. small thing, but still a bug...
It’s still on the list but you are correct - a developer with fl knowledge helping would help.

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/817

One user saw it in one wierd case on Mac also. Tough one to reproduce.

Just an edit: Even though I can't reproduce it, I do see one race condition where it may happen. I've pushed a fix to that race which is now in the nightly build. If you could download a nightly build from surge-synthesizer.github.io and see if the problem is resolved I would appreciate knowing.
Last edited by baconpaul on Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chris Allen wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:34 am hi guys,
Im using surge on windows 64bit running live 9 (32bit). Seem to be getting some random crashes when i close down ableton??
Is this only supported on 64 bit daws? It seems to be working fine but not sure why i am getting the crash notifications often when restarting live?
Thanks!
So we build the 32 bit version and very rarely test it. When I do test it I only test it in bitwig. Does the crash notification give a stack trace? If so that may help but it is definitely the case that 32 bit windows is the least used of our builds.

That said: it is open source and developers are welcome! If someone finds particular 32 bit problems we are happy to review and integrate reasonable pull requests!

Just fyi we released 1.6.0 today. There's still a long list of features and bug-like-behaviors but it's been really stable for a while now so we wanted to draw a line in the sand for a non-beta release. Thank you to everyone here who offered feedback, bug reports, patches, wavetables, and more.

As always grab it from https://surge-synthesizer.github.io or if you are on a mac try "brew update" and then "brew cask install surge-synthesizer" to grab the install using home-brew.

WOO! Congrats guys :) Been loving using Surge and your wonderful support and bug fixes. Can't wait to follow how this project matures.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

AJYoung wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:35 pm WOO! Congrats guys :) Been loving using Surge and your wonderful support and bug fixes. Can't wait to follow how this project matures.
+1 :hyper:
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

VST3 version is not working properly in REAPER (broken GUI + hanging notes)

Dandruff wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:43 pm VST3 version is not working properly in REAPER (broken GUI + hanging notes)
In Cakewalk and Mixcraft 8, same! And GUI is messed after zooming and reopening in Renoise.

Version 1.6.0 (VST2) is also extremely memory hungry (when loading multiple instances). Version 1.5 was better in this I think. Couldn't multiple instances share common recources better?

FIXED (1.6.1)
Last edited by Dandruff on Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigfront wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 pm
Dandruff wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:43 pm VST3 version is not working properly in REAPER (broken GUI + hanging notes)
In Cakewalk and Mixcraft 8, same! And GUI is messed after zooming and reopening in Renoise.
I'm not a programmer (doesn't have the patience for it).
But this announcing from the plugin to the host and back?
When you open Surge in the track (Cakewalk) it opens its gui at 100%. It also have to announce the size in pixels because 100% doesn't say what the size in pixels is.
You go to surges menu and choose to scale it to 150%. Cakewalk gets that and change the scale on its own window for the plugin. Surges gui also understand it and scale up its ui but the size in pixel is wrong. It's still the same pixelsize for the gui.
I really don't get it how this could be the fault of the host.
To me it seems that Surge itself isn't using pixelsize.

Reverted to beta-9 (and beta-8), and they did not use near as much memory, not for single or multiple instances.
Something must have changed in memory handling from beta-9 to last release (win-64 vst2).

Love Surge though, many thanks to everyone involved!

ok.
so, i still have the bug where preset name does not change. that's the VST2 version. the VST3 version is fine. except for the entire display. Only half of the plugin window appears and when i drag to maximize, the controls appear on a black background with no text visible. See images here : https://imgur.com/a/47OtqXy

Return to “Instruments”