Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am This is how Surge looks in energyXT 3.

Both the latest 32bit version aswell as the 32bit Nightly version. Is it supposed to look like that?
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... n+energyxt+

If you follow that issue you should get notified if/when we fix that.

Also if you know any windows developers who would like to contribute we would love their help with this particular problem (and one or two others). The surge dev team aren’t generally heavy windows users (but we all do work to make sure it works on windows of course!!)

lectropunk wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 pm Any links to free presets I'd say there would be some available...
The synth ships with about 1300 presets I think. Esaruoho has been finding the free preset packs from generous users and incorporating them into the distribution. So beta 8 and the nightlies all have plenty already

If you find (or make) other high quality patches which can be distributed gpl3 we would be happy to add them also

Cool sounds great..

baconpaul wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:10 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am This is how Surge looks in energyXT 3.

Both the latest 32bit version aswell as the 32bit Nightly version. Is it supposed to look like that?
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... n+energyxt+

If you follow that issue you should get notified if/when we fix that.

Also if you know any windows developers who would like to contribute we would love their help with this particular problem (and one or two others). The surge dev team aren’t generally heavy windows users (but we all do work to make sure it works on windows of course!!)
Thanks baconpaul. Unfortunately i dont know any developers.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

lectropunk wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 pm Any links to free presets I'd say there would be some available...
query, aren't the factory + 3rd party presets enough? close to 1100+ presets there.

esaruoho wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:36 pm
query, aren't the factory + 3rd party presets enough? close to 1100+ presets there.
Or he could just learn how to make his own :wink:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Heya everyone.

We just released 1.6.0 beta 9 today

As always: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io

The biggest change in beta 9 is we went to an all-vector graphics pipeline. So no more zoom artifacts and it is all SVG. Also beta 9 fixes a few more problems in the VST3, including some which made it really wonky in FL20.

Full change log here

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/man ... eslog.html

Would anyone be willing to give a step-by-step guide to the Python Script for wavetables? I can't seem to figure it out given the instructions on Github nor what was posted earlier in this thread.

Goal: Convert some of my custom wavetables for Serum to Surge format.

I have the wavetables I want split into single-cycles, and converted to the proper 44.1khz, 16-bit, mono format as described. (Thanks Reaper!)

I have the latest version of Python installed.

I just can't figure out how to actually run the script without getting various errors. I don't know if I'm even putting it in the right location.

I would love some help.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

AJYoung wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:52 am Would anyone be willing to give a step-by-step guide to the Python Script for wavetables? I can't seem to figure it out given the instructions on Github nor what was posted earlier in this thread.

Goal: Convert some of my custom wavetables for Serum to Surge format.

I have the wavetables I want split into single-cycles, and converted to the proper 44.1khz, 16-bit, mono format as described. (Thanks Reaper!)

I have the latest version of Python installed.

I just can't figure out how to actually run the script without getting various errors. I don't know if I'm even putting it in the right location.

I would love some help.
Are all your files in a single directory? Can you share an error message? What actually goes wrong?

The GitHub document kind of is step by step in that there's only the step of "have your .wav files in a directory" then "run the script pointing at the directory" but if we knew what sort of error you saw may be easier to help?

I'm just getting lots of Syntax errors no matter what I enter. Honestly, consider me extremely new to this.

I'm on Windows. I have the wt-tool.py in a folder on my desktop. I have the single-cycle files for one wavetable in a single directory on a different drive.

What would I enter into IDLE to run this? It seems that the Gihub instruction are geared specifically to the Linux console. I try to substitute the Windows filepaths for both the wt-tool.py and the wave files, It throws up syntax errors for the paths.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

baconpaul wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 am Heya everyone.

The biggest change in beta 9 is we went to an all-vector graphics pipeline. So no more zoom artifacts and it is all SVG. Also beta 9 fixes a few more problems in the VST3, including some which made it really wonky in FL20.

Full change log here

As it has been, if you enlarge the GUI in Sonar Platinum to 125%, you still see zoom artifacts (blurry text), and the VST2 window actually gets smaller and cuts off the bottom and the right side of the GUI. You can't even go back to the original 100% zoom, since the "menu" button is now cut off.

When using the VST3 version, the plug-in window expands to offer more room to the GUI, but the GUI doesn't enlarge. In fact, it is actually still cut off, just as if the plug-in window had gotten smaller, as it does with the VST2 version. And the enlarged text is still blurry.

Clipboard01.jpg
Both version were downloaded today and installed after a thorough uninstall of the previous version.

It may well still be the same problem in FLS20, too. I haven't tested that yet.

The installer is roughly 3.5 times the size of the installer from January. Is that because of the SVG text and elements? In theory, they should compress a lot more than bitmapped ones, and they shouldn't even take up much space if they're not compressed.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

AJYoung wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:33 am I'm just getting lots of Syntax errors no matter what I enter. Honestly, consider me extremely new to this.

I'm on Windows. I have the wt-tool.py in a folder on my desktop. I have the single-cycle files for one wavetable in a single directory on a different drive.

What would I enter into IDLE to run this? It seems that the Gihub instruction are geared specifically to the Linux console. I try to substitute the Windows filepaths for both the wt-tool.py and the wave files, It throws up syntax errors for the paths.
What Python version are you using? It looks like you need python 3 to run the script. Even if you installed it be sure to run it as "python3 wt-tool.py" so it gets the P3 interpreter.

planetearth wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:43 am
baconpaul wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 am Heya everyone.

Full change log here

As it has been, if you enlarge the GUI in Sonar Platinum to 125%, you still see zoom artifacts (blurry text), and the VST2 window actually gets smaller and cuts off the bottom and the right side of the GUI. You can't even go back to the original 100% zoom, since the "menu" button is now cut off.

When using the VST3 version, the plug-in window expands to offer more room to the GUI, but the GUI doesn't enlarge. In fact, it is actually still cut off, just as if the plug-in window had gotten smaller, as it does with the VST2 version. And the enlarged text is still blurry.

Clipboard01.jpg

Both version were downloaded today and installed after a thorough uninstall of the previous version.

It may well still be the same problem in FLS20, too. I haven't tested that yet.

The installer is roughly 3.5 times the size of the installer from January. Is that because of the SVG text and elements? In theory, they should compress a lot more than bitmapped ones, and they shouldn't even take up much space if they're not compressed.

Steve
Thanks Steve.

The hardest part about this project is the inconsistency of windows hosts with zoom. What we need more than anything else is a windows C++ developer who has grappled with hosts. I've never even heard of Sonar Platinum and don't know how to run it etc... VST2 also has wildly inconsistent resize support (VST3 is a bit better) but the api to host to resize is also not uniformly implemented. If you would like to, please feel free to add Sonar as a mis-zooming host in a GitHub issue though.

I do test FL20 in my regular windows testing (along with bitwig) and can tell you that with this release FL20 VST3 works fine.

As to the installer being 3.5x the size from January: The January build shipped with zooming but not with high res bitmap assets. So it shipped with about 408k of bitmaps. In late january we moved to bitmap assets (8164k of bitmaps) and in this release changed to SVG (2840k uncompressed). You are correct they would compress well and we ship them uncompressed now. If you would like to add the compression/decompression code I'd be happy to walk you through how I would do it! It's a bit tricky to make it work with mac, windows and linux since they all have different asset loading paths - but not impossible.

But it isn't what's causing the growth. The biggest change in the size of the installer from January is that we have added about 20mb of new wavetables and patches as esaruoho worked to find patch packs which people donated, and layzer added a bunch of wavetables from his work doing various modeling. Hope you enjoy the new content.

AJYoung wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:33 am I'm just getting lots of Syntax errors no matter what I enter. Honestly, consider me extremely new to this.

This is probably better done on GitHub. Open an issue with a screenshot of your errors.

But: The command in the GitHub repo can be typed into a windows command line if you have python3 in your path, which if you install python3 using the windows installer, you should. Does that help?

baconpaul wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 am Thanks Steve.
The hardest part about this project is the inconsistency of windows hosts with zoom. What we need more than anything else is a windows C++ developer who has grappled with hosts. I've never even heard of Sonar Platinum and don't know how to run it etc...
It's already published as an github issue by me.
Cakewalk by Bandlab is the successor of Sonar Platinum.

Return to “Instruments”