Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

no probs.can you include pluck-waveguide patch example.i think its missing.

I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab on a win 8.1 64-bit machine.
First install of Surge 1.6.0-beta-8 i selected vst3 only. Install went fine. CbB picked it up and away we go. Sounds ok. Ui responds to mouse and i can move sliders and select stuff.
I had to make the ui bigger. It took me rather a long time to discover the text "menu". It was so little and sort of melted in with the background like a cameleon.
Didn't know what size i needed so i tried 200%. Surge gave a message about it being too big and suggested to make it as big as it could be. I clicked ok.
WHAT happened was that the vst gui went bigger like 150% but Surges ui was cropped and only showed 100% of the 150% it ought to show. The menu was in the bit that been cropped so i deleted the track and inserted Surge as a new track. That gave me back the full "mini" Surge. Tried different zoom options but nothing worked.
Installed it once again on top of earlier install but this time i also checked to install the vst2. Install went fine but it didn't change anything.
Fired up Reaper and Surge zoomed to 150% without any problem.
Also tested on a win 7 64-bit machine. CbB couldn't handle zoom on that either.

Thanks baconpaul!
It’s slightly tricky to implement sometimes since many controllers send a note-on with a velocity of zero in place of a note-off with a velocity of it’s own. Others do send a proper note off, but just use an arbitrary fixed value for the velocity.

This has caused me troubles in the past when doing Kontakt scripting and stuff.

Thanks for even checking it out. It seems to be left out pretty often in the implementation of MPE.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Saffran wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:06 pm I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab on a win 8.1 64-bit machine.
First install of Surge 1.6.0-beta-8 i selected vst3 only. Install went fine. CbB picked it up and away we go. Sounds ok. Ui responds to mouse and i can move sliders and select stuff.
I had to make the ui bigger. It took me rather a long time to discover the text "menu". It was so little and sort of melted in with the background like a cameleon.
Didn't know what size i needed so i tried 200%. Surge gave a message about it being too big and suggested to make it as big as it could be. I clicked ok.
WHAT happened was that the vst gui went bigger like 150% but Surges ui was cropped and only showed 100% of the 150% it ought to show. The menu was in the bit that been cropped so i deleted the track and inserted Surge as a new track. That gave me back the full "mini" Surge. Tried different zoom options but nothing worked.
Installed it once again on top of earlier install but this time i also checked to install the vst2. Install went fine but it didn't change anything.
Fired up Reaper and Surge zoomed to 150% without any problem.
Also tested on a win 7 64-bit machine. CbB couldn't handle zoom on that either.
Sounds like CakeWalk by BandLab doesn’t support the VST3 resize messages correctly. If you’d like please open this as an issue on our github and include a screenshot too of what the broken zoom looks like, since that may give us a hint of what’s wrong.

The primary devs aren’t windows dev and I don’t think any of us run CakeWalk so adding to the issue info about how to get a demo or what not would help.

There are some hosts where zoom is just broken because the host doesn’t deal with the messages surge sends correctly. To set your expectations, CakeWalk may be one of them.

baconpaul, nice work on fixing the volume spikes! I had a long play session last night and everything was smooth as silk. I really appreciate all the team's done to bring this synth back to everyone. It was the second synth I ever purchased and I still love how it sounds.

(any chance for supporting .uhm scripts in the future? I'd *love* to geek out with generated wavetables in the delightful land of surge...)
Feel free to call me Brian.

Working on this synth for the OSC on it, and I'm really impressed by it. Sounds lovely with a lot of options to explore.

functionform wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 am Working on this synth for the OSC on it, and I'm really impressed by it. Sounds lovely with a lot of options to explore.
can't be that impressed with the 90's computer FM OPL sound. :roll:

who wants more 90's cheesy wavetable sets?
got 2 more in the works:

LZ_VFX2 -
this is a waveset that i made using the "superwave" from the Ensoniq vfx.
it is a long waveform with lots of bits of sampled instruments
going off in series. i took the wave and sliced it up into 32
4 second wavs and converted them into 32 wavetables.

LZ_MRP2 -
this WT set is just some more morphing waveforms.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

bmrzycki wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 am baconpaul, nice work on fixing the volume spikes! I had a long play session last night and everything was smooth as silk. I really appreciate all the team's done to bring this synth back to everyone. It was the second synth I ever purchased and I still love how it sounds.

(any chance for supporting .uhm scripts in the future? I'd *love* to geek out with generated wavetables in the delightful land of surge...)
Thanks! Yeah really seems that was the problem. Thanks for the report. Glad it's fixed!

First step in supporting a .uhm script would be to get an answer with the question "what the heck is a .uhm script?" LOL

I have some python notebooks kicking around that go from math functions to surge .wts for some nonsense I was working on. Sounds like it may be adjacent but if there's some sort of standard would love to know. Most useful would be to detail an answer in a new issue on the GitHub if you don't mind!

I'm looking for a print manual for this beast. Any help here? I really have an aversion to on-line docs for initial learning though I think they're great as refreshers. Where's the PDF?

AFAIK there's no PDF manual. Print the webpage out into a PDF. :)

"Print the webpage out into a PDF." Ugh! Writing as someone whose been working in software for decades, I can say that I very much miss the time when quality offline printable documentation was considered de rigueur even for free software.

Thanks Baconpaul for the update.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

baconpaul wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:49 pm First step in supporting a .uhm script would be to get an answer with the question "what the heck is a .uhm script?" LOL

I have some python notebooks kicking around that go from math functions to surge .wts for some nonsense I was working on. Sounds like it may be adjacent but if there's some sort of standard would love to know. Most useful would be to detail an answer in a new issue on the GitHub if you don't mind!
It's definitely related to math equations -> wavetables! I've opened the GitHub issue as you requested with links and more info. Thanks for taking a look!

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/815
Feel free to call me Brian.

caonoize wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:38 pm "Print the webpage out into a PDF." Ugh! Writing as someone whose been working in software for decades, I can say that I very much miss the time when quality offline printable documentation was considered de rigueur even for free software.
Didn't bob dylan write a song about times or something?

Anyway when Claes open sourced the synth he provided us with a copy of the printed manual for 1.5.2 in open office format which is still in the repo here https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... manual.odt

We used that to make the online manual and it doesn't have the updates. But we haven't done that many updates. So may be helpful to you if you can read open office files.

But also: Surge is an open source project staffed by volunteers. If you aren't happy with the documentation let me invite you to improve it to a standard which you are happy with and make a better version available to everyone!

No-one is actively working on that and we'd welcome the contribution.

baconpaul wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:22 pm
caonoize wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:38 pm "Print the webpage out into a PDF." Ugh! Writing as someone whose been working in software for decades, I can say that I very much miss the time when quality offline printable documentation was considered de rigueur even for free software.
Didn't bob dylan write a song about times or something?
The Times They Are A Changing.

Or was that a rhetorical question?

Can't tell around here.

Return to “Instruments”