Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Digivolt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm Well they've lost the cheaper upgrade path to version 2 when it comes and any support if something happens where 1.1 stops working (which is entirely possible)
No, they havent 'lost' it, they've chosen to not upgrade to a subsequent version that comes with those things. just like pretty much everybody else who drops off an upgrade path.

Now, given that its been made very clear that DS's position was untenable, and that this was part of the process of allowing development of these plugins to continue at all, just remind me what position those same people would be in if this hadnt gone through, and he'd found it impossible to continue, and whether that would resemble 'no version 2 ever and no option of support at all'
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Digivolt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm
Digivolt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm
mrdoghead wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 am If people won't stand up for what's right
Is it right to charge people $19 for something they already paid more than $19 for ?
Its not 'right' and its not 'wrong' either; its not on that scale at all. Noone has been forced to pay, and everyone's 1.1 version still works just as much as it did before. If someone doesnt pay the $19 then they have lost precisely nothing, which was their complete entitlement in the first place.
Well they've lost the cheaper upgrade path to version 2 when it comes and any support if something happens where 1.1 stops working (which is entirely possible)
Please read the statement here: http://dmitrysches.com/thorn-pa
However, we will provide minor updates for the previous version of Thorn if we find any compatibility issues with the latest Windows / macOS updates.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 pm
It's solely his opinion

No, other people have that opinion as well.
Yes, but he can only express his own opinion, and, the fun ends when he wants to fight against which is injustice in his opinion.
and he projects it on everyone else.
Hmmm, not really.
Yes, really. Considering he wants people to fight for what's right, of course he projects his own opinion about what's right or wrong on others.

I don't think either Dmitry nor PA is wrong. It was a business decision on both ends, and, consumers can decide for themselves what to do. No need to throw molotov cocktails here.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:04 pmYes, but he can only express his own opinion, and, the fun ends when he wants to fight against which is injustice in his opinion.
Thats, like, just your opinion, man.
and he projects it on everyone else.
Hmmm, not really.
Yes, really. Considering he wants people to fight for what's right, of course he projects his own opinion about what's right or wrong on others
Nice backpedal on that. Very sly.

What's the difference? He can't know what anyone's opinion on the matter is.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm What's the difference?
Seriously? You dont even know the difference between claiming he projected something on everyone and claiming he projected it on some people?

Wow.

The bottom line is this. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong or anything. The only thing that matters is public perception. The public, in general, will either accept what's happened or they won't. If they do, they'll support the companies, get their upgrades, and life will go on. If they don't, they'll boycott the companies and DS and PA will hopefully learn something from this.

That's all that matters. Everything else is just BS. And that includes my own opinion. All that's relevant is how all this is going to affect the two companies and, in the process, how other companies conduct business in the future depending on how this all plays out.

In that way, maybe we can all learn something.

Stefken wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:11 pm
ATS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 am I hate to see this dev get ripped off too.
They played it pretty stupidly, but maybe they have a way to blacklist the coupons that were send out by mistake. if you see that they ask 150 dollars a pop now and they gave them away for 19 dollars, for each unwarranted license they can block, they 'win' 131 dollars.
Then, there is also the marketing nightmare to explain people that they had no right to this coupon in the first place. :dog:
Potential silver lining: with all the Thorn discounts that had been going around recently, if those people weren't going to buy it at < $100 they weren't going to buy it at $150 and certainly not $200. Best case scenario, maybe they gained some customers that will pay for upgrades, whom otherwise would not have engaged with Thorn at all.

Where this really gets kinda crappy is that there are legitimate Thorn users who didn't get coupons, though I imagine if you e-mail Dmitry Sches with some kind of proof you will be able to work it out. Name and serial number, receipt from online store, screenshot of account, idk.

I got a coupon for this, but my Diversion and Tantra licenses were bought from 3rd party vendors. Gonna be interesting when those upgrades come around. I'm confident Dmitry won't leave me hanging though.

Razzia wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 pm Where this really gets kinda crappy is that there are legitimate Thorn users who didn't get coupons, though I imagine if you e-mail Dmitry Sches with some kind of proof you will be able to work it out. Name and serial number, receipt from online store, screenshot of account, idk.
https://dmitrysches.com/thorn-pa
I would like to upgrade my version of Thorn and get actual version that is distributed by Plugin Alliance.

We offer a way to migrate to actual PA version of Thorn from the previous licenses. Please send us an email through our contact form and we will provide you with information and instructions on how to proceed.

Razzia wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 pm Potential silver lining: with all the Thorn discounts that had been going around recently, if those people weren't going to buy it at < $100 they weren't going to buy it at $150 and certainly not $200. Best case scenario, maybe they gained some customers that will pay for upgrades, whom otherwise would not have engaged with Thorn at all.
Well, there is a big difference between selling it for 69 euro (the sale was around that number) which is still a nominal price for a plugin and practically giving it for away at 19 dollar.
Last edited by Stefken on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Seriously? You dont even know the difference between claiming he projected something on everyone and claiming he projected it on some people?

Wow.
Obviously you don't know the difference between "some people" and "others". :dog:

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Wow.
Obviously you don't know the difference between "some people" and "others". :dog:
Still being sly? I was specifically challenging you on your use of 'everyone' . You didnt actually use the word 'others' until you were misdirecting from that. Im not arguing with 'some people' or 'others' Im arguing with 'everyone'. Why is that so hard for you to be honest about and stick to?

Here it is again, in case you want to give it a go.
he projects it on everyone else.
Hmmm, not really.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 pm
Steve1974 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm On the subject of the actual plugin itself.....

Has anyone tried 1.2 and found it to be more CPU demanding ?
I confirm there's crackles on some previous "heavy" polyphonic patches. I wonder, where is the support now? Is it PA or still Dmitry?
i got popping and digital glitching with 1.1 DS version. when they went to 1.2 he removed the polyphony optimization. it's a heavier instrument. i think it's in the polyphony management. he knows it obviously and reworking it.
I installed 1.1 and 1.2 side by side on this system and you're right. I didn't notice the Optimize Polyphony option has been removed in 1.2 so yes it's more cpu demanding.

When you say "he knows it obviously and reworking it" is this something you have confirmed with Dmitry or are you just speculating ?

I'll pass this along to him in any case.

So at this point I'd advise taking advantage of the upgrade offer now (for those who already own Thorn and not the d-bags who are trying to get it new for $19) and then either have both versions installed or just wait to install 1.2 or beyond. At least you'll have it locked in for the future.

I got the automated "we have received your support request" email from Plugin Alliance when I sent them a link to one of the Thorn threads here (do we need both ? could they be merged to keep things easier to track ?) but as of this writing I see no response from PA.

I think that Dmitry's decision to get third party help for administrative duties was a good one since that will allow him to spend more time coding but I'm not sure PA was the right partner. Time will tell I guess....wait and see will be my stance.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:When you say "he knows it obviously and reworking it" is this something you have confirmed with Dmitry or are you just speculating ?
https://dmitrysches.com/thorn-changelog
Removed Optimize Polyphony option, will be returned later

Teksonik wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm
I installed 1.1 and 1.2 side by side on this system and you're right. I didn't notice the Optimize Polyphony option has been removed in 1.2 so yes it's more cpu demanding.

When you say "he knows it obviously and reworking it" is this something you have confirmed with Dmitry or are you just speculating ?
This is from Thorn Changelog for V1.2 on dmitrysches.com:
Removed Optimize Polyphony option, will be returned later

I hope it will be fixed later but anyway I created a support ticket on PA.
Last edited by Telematix on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”