Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

A couple issues back, Computer Music magazine featured a free version of Thorn from Dmitry Sches. Thorn CM was a slightly cut down version from the full one. In actuality the only difference between the CM version and the full one is two rather than three oscillators...otherwise all else is there.

I found the CM version really impressive. Its a wavetable VI with terrific sound quality and very easy to edit, design, tweak, create with.

Has anyone here used the full Thorn? Thoughts? I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the full version. I already have Dune 2 and Serum, but this one just has a different quality to it.

Worth it?

God damn, for a second I thought I've slept over 4 versions of Thorn and we're already at #6...

Anyway, thorn CM has the following limitations compared to the full Thorn:
- 2 oscillators instead of 3
- 1 filter instead of 2
- 4 effects instead of 9
- fewer filter models

so not "all else is there".

Having said that - yes, it's an awesome synth. If you have the 'free' CM version then I don't think the above justify the extra $119, although at the introductory price when it was released ($69 I think?) it was a steal. Wait for Black Friday or something and buy it then and in the meantime use the CM version :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Its Thorn CM polyphonic?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Its Thorn CM polyphonic?
"Up to 16-voice polyphony, plus Mono and Legato modes with Glide"

https://www.musicradar.com/features/fre ... c-thorn-cm
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks! :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Its Thorn CM polyphonic?
Yes. There is another magware version: Thorn Beat (mono) which is monophonic but has all other features of the full version.

antic604 wrote:Wait for Black Friday or something and buy it then and in the meantime use the CM version :)
Also, anyone who owns Tantra can take advantage of a fantastic cross-grade offer at Plugin Boutique. Valid until the 17th of this month.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... rom-Tantra

Both Tantra and Thorn are fantastic plugins. I’m thinking of getting the expansions for Thorn (I have all of them for Tantra).
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

DonaldM75 wrote: In actuality the only difference between the CM version and the full one is two rather than three oscillators...otherwise all else is there.
Not quite.

https://www.musicradar.com/features/fre ... c-thorn-cm
Thorn CM has the following limitations compared to the full Thorn:
  • 2 oscillators instead of 3
  • 1 filter instead of 2
  • 4 effects instead of 9
  • Less filter models
Still quite a versatile plugin, of course.

i say its worth it. if you like the sound. sches products all have their own characters stamped on. thorn has a very hard, sound almost metallic or clinic, if you here it the first time, but is capable of other sounds too. i like to combine it with effects with a more soft or warmer character to it.

Thorn's sound is OK for me. It lacks brightness in the lower registers, due to its sound generation, so, the lower notes sound as if you apply a low pass filter, and, it also sounds a bit thin in general. I like the sound of Diversion more. I wouldn't calle the sound bad in general, though, just that i already heard better. I don't use it very often, because of that.

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot about the other limitations of the CM version. My bad.

I still think its a great little VI. And, apparently, there are several good 3rd party patch libraries out there for it.

antic604 wrote:God damn, for a second I thought I've slept over 4 versions of Thorn and we're already at #6...
LOL!!! Same.. :lol:

And yeah, I'll second (or third, or whatever) the notion that it's an incredible synth, but definitely wait for a sale. It does have promo sales sometimes. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 pm Thorn's sound is OK for me. It lacks brightness in the lower registers, due to its sound generation, so, the lower notes sound as if you apply a low pass filter, and, it also sounds a bit thin in general. I like the sound of Diversion more. I wouldn't calle the sound bad in general, though, just that i already heard better. I don't use it very often, because of that.
You do understand that lower notes are supposed to be less bright than higher notes, right? That's pretty much what "bright" means. But if you are trying to say what I think you are trying to say, I can't agree with you. Listen to a preset like PAD July - it has all that saw wave fuzziness you'd expect when you play a really low note. It probably doesn't sound as raw as an analogue oscillator but it definitely has at least as much detail, and that detail is delicious!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm
antic604 wrote:Wait for Black Friday or something and buy it then and in the meantime use the CM version :)
Also, anyone who owns Tantra can take advantage of a fantastic cross-grade offer at Plugin Boutique. Valid until the 17th of this month.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... rom-Tantra
I can confirm that the same deal is on now for Black Friday - Cyber Monday. I just picked it up myself and I think it is absolutely amazing. Easily the best $50 I've spent this year (and probably not the first time I've said that this year - things just keep getting better for me as the year progresses).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”