Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

realtrance wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:51 pm Well the good news is MX is pushing the envelope, instead of just being Massive with more presets. You should cheer! :)
And just like Royal Mail the envelope is always late.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I only have a 4770 so am unlikely to get the 4-6 instances I would normally need sadly.

buzz1 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:46 pm MX's DSP requires AVX tho, SSE version would make it nigh impossible to run on any CPU today.
Must be insanely cpu heavy then?
This is not Synth1, yo :)
buzz1 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:06 pm I only have a 4770 so am unlikely to get the 4-6 instances I would normally need sadly.
How about... actually seeing what you can do with ONE instance, first? :)

One instance! That's for minimalists. :wink:

The way you guys are talking about this synth you'd think it was the worst CPU killer of every synth ever made. Somehow I find that hard to believe.

To be fair this originated from Dragon, and I guess he knows what he is talking about.

buzz1 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 pm To be fair this originated from Dragon, and I guess he knows what he is talking about.
Okay, then what's the point? Does NI think that the majority of their customers have PCs capable of running more than 1 or 2 instances of this thing?

Strategically, it doesn't make any sense.

I heard that beside AVX, MX require WUP, iLok, cloud subscription from DiscoDSP and computer with access to i... i... internet! How you deal with that huh? All the KVRists nightmares combined together so you'll never sleep again with lights turned off!

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 pm
buzz1 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 pm To be fair this originated from Dragon, and I guess he knows what he is talking about.
Okay, then what's the point? Does NI think that the majority of their customers have PCs capable of running more than 1 or 2 instances of this thing?

I agree and hope that Dragon is wrong about this.
I wouldn't put money on it though

When Massive v1 was released my pretty high spec MacBook could barely do 8 notes of poly on medium quality.

Not sure about NI and CPU spec these days. Straylight, which is a rompler, uses significantly more CPU than Diva does for the same poly. Ouch.

buzz1 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 pm

I agree and hope that Dragon is wrong about this.
I wouldn't put money on it though
Well, when we go back to the reviews back in the day of the original Massive (2007): https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/na ... ts-massive , we'll see a quote that is quite telling in this regard:
When I visited Native's headquarters in August, Massive 's Product Manager told us that their top priority was to take a leap in sonic quality, even if this meant pushing even recent computers to their limits. The result is a synth that really does reach unprecedented heights in sound quality for a virtual instrument, but gives your computer a thorough workout getting there.
I think NI's thinking 12 years later is, that in the long run, it made perfect sense, strategically. It's just very much in spirit of the original, as it were.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:08 pm How about... actually seeing what you can do with ONE instance, first? :)
:band:

hosts capable of freezing tracks?

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:03 pm

hosts capable of freezing tracks?
Which I can do, but after a while that becomes a hassle.

im just saying maybe that's what ni are thinking :)

i only need one instance to be amazing :D

Return to “Instruments”