Omnisphere 3 Wishlist

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

noiseboyuk wrote:My most tediously predictable post in my long tedious posting history...

BETTER TAGGING. And a really good tag editor.
Oh my god yes yes. That's the only thing about Omnisphere I constantly go mad over. One tag for Synth Bass and 21(!) tags for different Kalimbas. Tagging in v1 was bad, and v2 made it so much more convoluted. Creating a tagging system that covers everything and is logical is not easy though. But they should just start all over with Omnisphere.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

we should edit the first post or something with good wishlist points and forward to spectrasonics. these guys are very nice and normally very helpful, i guess this is better than various posts ;).
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

noiseboyuk wrote:My most tediously predictable post in my long tedious posting history...
And as part of that the ability to delete some 3rd party devs utterly bizarre, incredibly infuriating, seemingly endless need to invent new Types, Genres...just dear god, why. :x
"What embecile composed this list :/"

I think the most Spectrasonics-friendly way of changing the tags without upsetting the odd high profile customers who like them the way they are is two fold - 1) change the behaviour of the main categories so they become like regular tags and patches can live in more than one, and that done 2) simplify all those gazillions of subtypes into just Analog, Bowed etc. Neither of these changes would seem to be be especially difficult... at the moment patches live in physical folders in the OS and that could remain, its just that the browser would translate that info to a regular tag, which then can be added to with other categories.

So in a simple example, you have a distorted bass arp, which should live in the BPM/ARP, Distortion and Synth Bass categories. You click on any of those 3 categories and up it pops. If you want patches that ONLY live in all three, click one, cmd/windows click the other two just as it is in all the other columns. If you clicked on Synth Bass, you could also have an outline around the ARP and Distortion categories that also has some Synth Bass patches in it. If you don't want to see any Bass Arps say in your Synth Bass search, control click the Arp category. Would be a great fast way of drilling down without excluding many of the patches you could be interested in.

Oh, and bring back Hybrid Instruments, one of the most useful categories they ever had.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Simplified tagging is also my wish. Look at the new U-he browser and take some inspiration.

Have to agree with everyone else. The tagging really needs fixing.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

I know that's not exactly enough to sell a whole version 3, but aside from glitches it's really the only thing I'd really want changed. Because its a lazy Sunday morning here I'm going to briefly outline the case against:

Since they broke all hope of third party libraries being able to follow Spectrasonics standards in Omni 2, they might as well now just throw it all up in the air and start again. 9,500 patches is fantastic, but if you can't find one it might as well not be there. The tagging system is so impenetrably unwieldy, its near-impossible to successfully search and get a comprehensive set of results. A big part of the problem is the highest level of the hierarchy - these aren't tags but fixed folders, and you have to choose one. That would be ok if they didn't all overlap - its possible to have a patch that fits into ARP+BPM, Distortion, Retro Land, Synth Short, Synth Mono and Synth Bass and likely more besides, but you can only pick the one. Spectrasonics don't seem to understand the difference between a noun and an adjective. Then you have thousands of needless tags that are stupid sub divisions of specific categories, such as Bells Analog and BPM Analog. Why not just have one Analog tag, one Bells tag and one BPM tag and select all you need? This mad proliferation of specific subtypes in Omni 2 fundamentally doesn't seem to understand how tags work, and makes it really unwieldy.

But they also need to throw a frickin bone to those of us with third party devs and our own libraries, and give us a really smart tag editor that could batch translate old and new patches. If they want to rename Synth Pluck to Synth Short - as they have in 2.5 - that breaks everyone else's compatibility. Again. So a batch translator would be necessary, and would probably help them internally sort themselves out too.

Other than all that, a couple of randoms:

Maybe another really well modelled analogue filter or two wouldn't hurt
Front pages for all the Hardware Modelled Profiles for easy use for those without the hardware
100% agree with all this.
Not sure what the new svf is like but they do need a proper analog style filter. A nice Roland Jupiter/Juno type filter would be great.
And the macro or front pages for hardware profiles.
I’m hoping for these before 3 actually.
Tagging I can’t see that changing before 3, but one can hope.
A link function for the parts just like there is for the layers, so that once you copied a patch across the other ones, any adjustment on one affect affects all parts.
Full mpe, with mod scaling graphs, like the roli stuff, would be nice.
And since we are talking v3, which I think would be pretty major judging by v2, let’s have a nice physical modeling oscillator in there like logic sculpture.

dark water wrote:More nature sounds.
Definitely some badgers and otters.
Not a big fan of voles though.
Agreed. Voles are the worst.

Full disclosure: I recently sold my Omnisphere 2 license right before 2.5 dropped.

I feel like 2.5's GUI/UX changes are a marked improvement over the old brushed metal look. I'd like to see them continue to evolve the GUI/UX to be more modern-minimalist. Happy they allow resizing now for higher dpi/4K panels. I think we can all expect the content/library to continue to expand. Tags/browser - I wasn't really fond of it, so improving that would be nice (I agree with all of the suggestions already mentioned).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Just change and improve interface.

But I’d rather have new stylus rmx than new omnisphere
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Cinebient wrote:Physical modeling and audio rate modulation.
Physical modeling would be great. A string model would also be a good addition to Trilian.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Multi-sampled layers
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Maybe this would apply more to keyscape,
But I would really want to see Korg 01/w, korg prophecy, korg trinity, roland SRJV expansion cards sounds in omnisphere or keyscape.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Up/down arrows for prev/next values for semitones, arp selection, and wherever a big pop-up window has to come up every time you want to change a value. The ability to type in value and hit enter to change.
A real arp browser where you can select arp and hear what it sounds like before closing the arp browser, sort of like the patch browser.
The ability to chain arps without having to create a keyswitched multi to do it.
Midi out directly from arp and omni itself to outside world (to another vst or track in daw). Ability to use omni as midi input to another vst.

A vocoder in the effects rack

Return to “Instruments”