One Synth Challenge #115: Seismic by Syntonica (L-Ectrobit Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #115! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Submissions will show up here once voting starts:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... llenge-115

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

'A fully-modular, wave-based VST' 'Welcome to Seismic, where everything is a wave. From oscillators to LFOs to envelopes. Seismic is fully modular using Nodes to combine waves in the usual and not-so-usual ways. Combine nodes and waves to output your final sound.' **Note: May not run perfectly on your mac, see manual for info** (Idea credit goes to Tj Shredder).

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
Soundemote and Ridan is offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): If you would like your winning track on spotify, please specify so as well, or you will be contacted by rghvdberg.

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster One

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik Station V9, Wusik 8008, Wusik SQ200 and Wusik P2000

Synthmorph: Any 1 soundset

Sonimus : Any one Plugin

Tritik : Echorus (effect plugin)

Soundemote : PrettyScope (beautiful analog oscilloscope), you may choose this as a secondary prize on top of your regular prize.

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : Any 3 commercial sound banks. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune. Unfortunately his main site is down, but if you still want these, let us know!

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Ridan: Any one soundset as a secondary prize, on top of the regular prize.
haunting soundscapes, atmospheric chords, layered pads, anamorphic guitars,
brass and woodwind-esque, rhythmic/melodic sequences, and macabre sound effects.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.

The inevitable question, just to clarify:
Seismic has a sampling functionality.
Can we use it for anything?
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

This will be fun, and thanks for the credit. This is really a different synth, as innovative as FM was in the 80s and not far from it either but different...
I hope the developer will be in here as well...

Hi All,

Just heard that Seismic is now being put through the OSC meat grinder. :) I hope you all enjoy!

Thanks to TJ for reporting the pitch bend bug. Really, REALLY bad calculation in there... :dog: :lol: I'll get it fixed up in a few days for a 1.3.1 release. Please report any other bugs/concerns you might find so I can roll them all up into a single update before y'all get too far into things.

Regarding sampling, there's one set of drum samples included. While Seismic will do very basic sample playback, you might get some interesting results using the included waves with the start point modulation, i.e. use the second wave as the LFO, knob1 to set the start point and knob2 to set the LFO speed.

(As for the next update to 1.4, I'm currently wrestling with a new filter and will be looking at including some "analog" shaped waves rather than the current pure waves included. Because they can't be generated mathematically, I need to write a utility to convert them.)

Edit: I'm very excited to hear what can be done with Seismic by y'all!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I'm getting some crashes in Live:

Code: Select all

Thread 2 Crashed:: AudioCalc
0   net.syntonica.Seismic         	0x0000000124f0aa1a Seismic::buildNodes(Note*) + 2202
1   net.syntonica.Seismic         	0x0000000124f090ab Seismic::processReplacing(float**, float**, int) + 763
2   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000101c8d2c0 0x100000000 + 29938368
Live 10 on macOS 10.13.3

I can send full report if it's helpful.

bh9090 wrote:I'm getting some crashes in Live:

0   net.syntonica.Seismic         	0x0000000124f0aa1a Seismic::buildNodes(Note*) + 2202
1   net.syntonica.Seismic         	0x0000000124f090ab Seismic::processReplacing(float**, float**, int) + 763
Live 10 on macOS 10.13.3

Please, and/or a screen shot of your patch.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

A very interesting one this is..... the manual is your best friend

Crashing my Ableton Live 10 as soon as I play a note. (Windows 10, 64 bit)

Edit: Starting Ableton with administrator rights lets me play a few notes but it still crashes.

Darksynth FX wrote:Crashing my Ableton Live 10 as soon as I play a note. (Windows 10, 64 bit)

Edit: Starting Ableton with administrator rights lets me play a few notes but it still crashes.
Do you get any sort of crash report? I did a little testing with Live 10.0.1 64-bit on Windows 10 and other than the pitch bend bug that TJ reported, I didn't have any issues, but I was mousing notes into the piano roll.

Also, make sure that you have the latest version 1.3. Earlier versions for Windows had windowing issues due my misunderstanding of the API. (The beta version of Seismic for Windows was taking down whole DAWs, FL and Live especially.)

syntonica wrote:
Darksynth FX wrote:Crashing my Ableton Live 10 as soon as I play a note. (Windows 10, 64 bit)

Do you get any sort of crash report? I did a little testing with Live 10.0.1 64-bit on Windows 10 and other than the pitch bend bug that TJ reported, I didn't have any issues, but I was mousing notes into the piano roll.

Also, make sure that you have the latest version 1.3. Earlier versions for Windows had windowing issues due my misunderstanding of the API. (The beta version of Seismic for Windows was taking down whole DAWs, FL and Live especially.)
I have the latest version from your homepage. I get crash reports but I have so many now I don't see through it all anymore.

Hi ! @syntonica

Thanks for your plugins it's great ! I'm on ableton 10 and i don't have massive problem, sometimes i don't know why a big sawtooth appear even when my wave isn't but i just have to click on the stop button of ableton and it's dissapear, and the other things is that i can't edit name into seismic because my keyboards responds to ableton when i press a letter. Maybe it's my fault i'm going to check the manual more !

It's going to be my first one synth challenge and i'm pretty excited !

syntonica wrote:
bh9090 wrote:I'm getting some crashes in Live:

Live 10 on macOS 10.13.3

Please, and/or a screen shot of your patch.
Crash report attached. Didn't get a copy of the patch, but it's happened on a number of them. (oh - and same result in Reaper for mac., so not just on Live)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crashes quite often for me in Reaper 5.941 x64 Win10x64.
Also other than the opening preset none of the others seem to work.
None have a scale selected.
And when I select a scale (doesn't seem to matter which) it will instantly crash when playing a note.
Also on the LP filters there is a loud click/distortion of the sound whenever the cutoff is set near the lower limit of the range. Very noticable if using one node to automate the mod1 knob of a connected node that has the filter.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

This might be related to the pb bug, as for scales you have to calculate pitches as well...

ok, it worked :)
Last edited by Inversion Of Control on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”