Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a suggestion from baggagelizard I decided to open this thread - hoping to discuss what you guys are expecting from a "generic" vocal synth like Emvoice One - as opposed to other vocal synths that have a more specific, signature sound, like Vocaloid or Plogue Alter/Ego. Full disclosure: I’m the CEO of Emvoice.
We’re going to release our public beta on August 15th for Mac only, The PC version should be ready for beta in about 3 months. Here is what Lucy, our first voice, sounds like.
https://youtu.be/I2qsG30XVdk
https://youtu.be/OPcwE9a3oHQ

Emvoice One was born of my dreams (and my frustrations) as a music producer. It's a labor of love :) Hope you all enjoy using it. We'll offer other voices more suited to EDM/Pop and gradually cover every need and genre. And one day, we hope to put a whole ensemble of voices at your fingertips. A "ludicrous" mode with 80 real/fake singers gathered in a stadium..
Express Yourself.

That looks very nice. I will waiting for the PC-Version for try this.

Sounds interesting. Will have to wait for the PC version ...

Public beta now open at https://emvoiceapp.com/

Mac AU only for now, requires signing up for account.

Sounds better than Vocaloid
Amazon: why not use an alternative

On the bright side: Lucy's voice, even at this early stage when her phonems and range are apparently being tweaked, is on a new quality level completely – real sounding and sensual. Huge promise for the future of emvoice!

On the less bright side…

I'm on OS 10.12.6, MB Pro, 16GB RAM with a 125mb/s fibre connection, and I'm testing (trying to test…) Lucy on Logic Pro X 10.4.1 and Live 10.0.3 (beta). The main hurdle is the fact that even the smallest edit, like moving a note/phrase an interval up or down, will take anything between 5 and up to 45 (yes, forty five!) seconds before I can hear what I've done.

Emvoice is cloud based, so I assume that all the critical number crunching is done on the online server which then downloads the audio to the AU plug-in in the background. Perhaps the cloud based structure also makes it more difficult for bad guys to reverse engineer Lucy?

Whatever, these absurd delays kill any sort of interactive editing and tweaking. In order for Lucy to become an inviting voice solution, Emvoice will have to massively upgrade this whole server foundation to Amazon-like industrial strength, so that at the most 1–2 seconds of delay between edit and playback is guaranteed.

There are, of course, other glitches but, as Lucy works now on my system, any alpha, sorry, beta testing is pointless. Unfortunately, because I'm already in love with Lucy and her potential!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:On the bright side: Lucy's voice, even at this early stage when her phonems and range are apparently being tweaked, is on a new quality level completely – real sounding and sensual. Huge promise for the future of emvoice!

On the less bright side…

I'm on OS 10.12.6, MB Pro, 16GB RAM with a 125mb/s fibre connection, and I'm testing (trying to test…) Lucy on Logic Pro X 10.4.1 and Live 10.0.3 (beta). The main hurdle is the fact that even the smallest edit, like moving a note/phrase an interval up or down, will take anything between 5 and up to 45 (yes, forty five!) seconds before I can hear what I've done.

Emvoice is cloud based, so I assume that all the critical number crunching is done on the online server which then downloads the audio to the AU plug-in in the background. Perhaps the cloud based structure also makes it more difficult for bad guys to reverse engineer Lucy?

Whatever, these absurd delays kill any sort of interactive editing and tweaking. In order for Lucy to become an inviting voice solution, Emvoice will have to massively upgrade this whole server foundation to Amazon-like industrial strength, so that at the most 1–2 seconds of delay between edit and playback is guaranteed.

There are, of course, other glitches but, as Lucy works now on my system, any alpha, sorry, beta testing is pointless. Unfortunately, because I'm already in love with Lucy and her potential!

/Joachim
If this is indeed the case then this isn't even remotely an alternative to Vocaloid.

Shame. Oh well. Such is life.

Spitfire31 wrote:On the bright side: Lucy's voice, even at this early stage when her phonems and range are apparently being tweaked, is on a new quality level completely – real sounding and sensual. Huge promise for the future of emvoice!

On the less bright side…

/Joachim
Yeah! The minute I first heard the demo, it was clear that this was the voice and expression capabilities were on another level compared to what is currently available. However, even though I have more than double your internet speed (same spec's), I am really reluctant to even bother trying this :scared:

As for re-engineering? Maybe it will be the equivalent of the Bannister 4-minute mile i.e Everybody thought it was impossible until one guy broke it. Then every mother-lover, and their dog, could replicate the feat :tu:

Okay, I listened to the demo. While the diction is slightly improved, it's still one dimensional just like Vocaloid. It still totally lacks that "human" sound that comes from all the variations one can do with their own voice.

So for me, IMO, even without the long delay times with processing, there isn't enough of an improvement to justify the cost of getting it.

When somebody comes out with a vocal synth that can do all the vocal inflections of a Rod Stewart or a Bruce Springsteen, then I'll be interested. Right now, this is a marginal improvement, sound wise, over Vocaloid. The processing delays make this a non starter.

On the less bright side…

/Joachim
Thanks for the review. I'm PC, so was curious as to how their setup works.

Totally understandable why they'd go for cloud-based, but no local installation is a huge disincentive for me :( It sounds so promising!

This year has been kind of amazing for vocal synthesis what with so many products debuting so close to each other--Cevio English, Vocaloid5, Emvoice... and next Synthesizer V, which is supposed to get a preview on August 19.
Last edited by Pelicanomicon on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pretty cool, will explore it this weekend (i just downloaded the beta, and on logic X as well (so i expect it to work!). thanks for this...

fisherKing wrote:pretty cool, will explore it this weekend (i just downloaded the beta, and on logic X as well (so i expect it to work!). thanks for this...
EDIT: def has potential; requires patience (not something i, uh, have much of), but it SOUNDS good, my first requirement with any plugin. will play with it, but look forward to:

playing a melody on the keyboard.
importing from a text document.
getting lucy's phone#...

Wow, impressive!
I agree with others, this sounds so much better than Vocaloid! :o

Sounds promising. I don't have objections to a cloud model if it brings a rent model where I can pay for the actual time I use it, and of course if the performance is decent. 45 seconds rendering for each small edit will kill it. And of course for me I must have a PC version.

I'll have to wait for the PC version.

Return to “Instruments”